News:

PD.com: The most patriotic board in America - jointly run by an Australian, an Irishman, a filthy Dutchman, a Canadian and some guy from the West Indies.

Main Menu

Frequently asked questions..

Started by Purpleris Niaiseris, June 08, 2008, 11:24:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adios

Well, let's hope the n00b comes back and takes the time to read all of this.

Triple Zero

LMNO, hint, instead of zero, try another mathematical thing, like i (the imaginary unit) or a 4D cube, let him mu himself out of that :-)
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Elder Iptuous

meh, i hit the post button before i could finish saying, 'heh'.
just being punchy.
actually i don't know what you mean, or where you're going.

i guess all i'm saying is this:
- there is a universe out there.
- we can observe some of it through our perceptions.
- it has properties wherein parts repeat.

this repetition is order.  the parts that don't are disordered in the context of whatever that criteria for repetition is being defined by.  those seem to be inherent in the arrangement of the for real universe.

i guess i'm just being argumentative to a degree, because i can see what you're saying, too.

i just can't get behind it 100%.

LMNO

Every day, the paperboy bikes by my house and throws a newspaper on my doorstep.

I can claim there is a pattern, because every day, the paperboy bikes by my house and throws a newspaper on my doorstep.

However:

The paperboy is different every day (older).
The bike is different every day (more wear and tear).
The route he takes is different every day (sometimes he is on the sidewalk, sometimes on the street).
My house is different every day (more wear and tear).
The arc the newspaper sails is different every day.
The place it lands is different every day.
The newspaper itself is different every day.

I can only claim this to be a similar repeating pattern by ignoring everything that is different.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: LMNO on June 09, 2010, 05:05:02 PM
I can only claim this to be a similar repeating pattern by ignoring everything that is different.

BINGO! Nicely stated LMNO!
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Adios

My wallpaper has a repeating pattern.

LMNO

Quote from: Hawk on June 09, 2010, 05:07:33 PM

Does it?  Are you sure about that?

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Your Mom has a repeating pattern.

:wink:

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Adios

Quote from: LMNO on June 09, 2010, 05:09:51 PM

Does it?  Are you sure about that?

Yes, I was hoping you would ask.

It does because I chose to perceive it to be therefore making the choice to use my god-like powers to make it a repeating pattern,

Elder Iptuous

Every day, the paperboy bikes by my house and throws a newspaper on my doorstep.

well....
yeah.
that's certainly not in contention.
but the pattern is there.  that paperboy delivering the paper is a real thing apart from your perception of it.
that's order.
and it's inherent in the arrangement of things, not just in your head.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Iptuous on June 09, 2010, 05:12:40 PM

well....
yeah.
that's certainly not in contention.
but the pattern is there.  that paperboy delivering the paper is a real thing apart from your perception of it.
that's order.
and it's inherent in the arrangement of things, not just in your head.

well, thats the whole "In Some Sense" bit...

Sure there's a repeating pattern in some sense, viewed at a certain depth... looking from a different perspective, or a different depth and the pattern changes or vanishes.

memy

We can only strive for mu, we can't get mu in this place. We can answer "mu" but that's it. The best we can hope for is te, and that shit's weaksauce. (literally!)

What I mean is, even in the most empty of acts, meditation for instance, an endless torrent of activities still go on. The monk's heart doesn't stop beating, his neurons don't stop firing, his stomach doesn't stop digesting, and he's going to have to go to the bathroom eventually. And by him not moving, he is still effecting events not near him simply by NOT getting involved. This is how the meditating monk is still inevitably chaotifying(?) the universe, and the pattern that is him not doing shit for hours on end is just hiding all the shit hat he is doing (or digesting).

That's not to say there isn't a pattern, of course. Just that it's ignorant (and that's not always a bad thing) to dismiss the things going on between the units of that pattern.
ma-ma-say ma-ma-sah ma-ma-co-sah

AFK

Your wallpaper has a concept of a repeating pattern.  However, unless the machinery is 100% efficient, it is likely, if you were to zoom in for further detail, you would see defects in elements of the pattern.  So there was a concept for the wallpaper centered on the idea of a repeating pattern, but in execution, the exact precise pattern is destroyed.

Unless of course, the machines make the same exact imperfections 100% of the time.  
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.