News:

For my part, I've replaced optimism and believing the best of people by default with a grin and the absolute 100% certainty that if they cannot find a pig to fuck, they will buy some bacon and play oinking noises on YouTube.

Main Menu

Just because your decision had a reason does not remove your responsibility.

Started by Reginald Ret, June 09, 2008, 12:29:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jenne

Question:  why does any of it have to be ANYbody's fault?

Why can't it just be circumstance?   There ARE such things as unintentional consequences, and therefore no fault.  Sounds to me, Regret, as if you are having problems accepting that sometimes, shit just happens.

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Jenne

Fredfredly ⊂(◉‿◉)つ

Quote from: Regret on June 09, 2008, 02:24:50 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on June 09, 2008, 02:03:18 AM
Quote from: Regret on June 09, 2008, 01:56:18 AM
of course you're not! the only thing you are responsible for is how you act and react.

So a rape victim is responsible for catching the rapist's eye?
yes, and the rapist is responsible for acting on his eye being caught.
and the victim is responsible for his or her level of resistance.
and the rapist is responsible for not killing himself.

are you fucking serious?

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Jenne on June 09, 2008, 02:29:48 AM

Why can't it just be circumstance?   There ARE such things as unintentional consequences, and therefore no fault.  Sounds to me, Regret, as if you are having problems accepting that sometimes, shit just happens.

Regret postulates that, for example, a man who throws himself in front of a bullet intended for another is a suicide, rather than the shooter simply being a murderer.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Jenne on June 09, 2008, 02:30:30 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on June 09, 2008, 02:29:57 AM

yes,

That's all I needed to hear.

Yeah, that's like saying it's our faults we were born.  No logic.

It's abhorrent on its very face.  It is the philosophy of the cabbage. 

Idem

Quote from: Regret on June 09, 2008, 01:56:18 AM
of course you're not! the only thing you are responsible for is how you act and react.

yes, and the rapist is responsible for acting on his eye being caught.
and the victim is responsible for his or her level of resistance.
and the rapist is responsible for not killing himself.

Reminds me of those horrible WSIB Canadian "accident prevention" commercials.

Quoteyour options are avoid or die. the milkman is responsible for the situation and you are responsible for the effects of choosing to live.

:emo:

Also, would you technically belong to the milkman?   :lulz:

Jenne

Reginald Ret

Quote from: Jenne on June 09, 2008, 02:29:48 AM

shit happens and how you handle shit happening is your responsibility.

where there is choice there is responsibility.
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on June 09, 2008, 02:29:57 AM
That's all I needed to hear.
crap. i knew someone was gonna jump on that one.
the reason i said yes is because catching is an active word so its something you do, and therefore i assumed you have the choice not to do it. if you have no choice in the matter then its something else but the situations where you have no choice are rarer then you think.
Quote from: Jenne on June 09, 2008, 02:30:30 AM
Yeah, that's like saying it's our faults we were born.  No logic.
there's no choice in being born.
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on June 09, 2008, 02:31:21 AM
Regret postulates that, for example, a man who throws himself in front of a bullet intended for another is a suicide, rather than the shooter simply being a murderer.
its suicide for the hero and murder for the shooter. there IS such a thing as shared responsibility. if the hero wasn't responsible for his actions that implies he had no choice. so why call him a hero then?
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Jenne

There's no choice in avoiding an accident on the road and saving your life, either.  Who fucking cares about the car?

See, I think you are picking out minutia that in the end, don't fucking matter, and shouldn't matter, and if they do, in the scheme of things, that person focusing on it should just shoot themselves and get it over with because life is too damned short to live like that.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Regret on June 09, 2008, 02:48:48 AM
shit happens and how you handle shit happening is your responsibility.
Bullshit.  A bad act by one renders all of the consequences - and responsibility - on that one.

where there is choice there is responsibility.

The examples given gave no choices.  Only means to mitigate the bad actions of the originating individual.

crap. i knew someone was gonna jump on that one.

Yeah.  Huge holes in your argument can have that effect.

its suicide for the hero and murder for the shooter.

Okay.  Then we can cancel the life insurance policies of anyone who does so.  The secret service, for example.

It's a good thing your argument is fundamentally flawed, because your philosophy is a fucked up way to view the world.

Fredfredly ⊂(◉‿◉)つ

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Jenne on June 09, 2008, 02:51:48 AM
There's no choice in avoiding an accident on the road and saving your life, either.  Who fucking cares about the car?

See, I think you are picking out minutia that in the end, don't fucking matter, and shouldn't matter, and if they do, in the scheme of things, that person focusing on it should just shoot themselves and get it over with because life is too damned short to live like that.

More to the point, we should just stop putting murderers in jail.

Or, conversely, we should sentence women who get raped. 

What do you say, Regret?  Would 20 years be enough to teach them to wear burkhas?

Jenne

The Talibs did that already--wait, no, they stoned them to death.

Feh, same difference.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Jenne on June 09, 2008, 02:55:08 AM
The Talibs did that already--wait, no, they stoned them to death.

Feh, same difference.

WELL, SHE'S RESPONSIBLE FOR BEING RAPED!   :lulz: