(Probably Stupid) Physics Question (That's Probably Been Asked Before)

Started by Nephew Twiddleton, April 15, 2014, 05:59:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Prelate Diogenes Shandor on January 14, 2015, 06:32:27 AM
Quote from: P3nT4gR4m on December 10, 2014, 07:00:54 PM
Homeopathish?

No, that's for a hypothesis which is demonstrably incorrect, but still gets trotted out anyway

A hypothesis that can't be tested is called "unfalsifiable"

Quote from: Nepos twiddletonis on December 13, 2014, 05:52:47 AM
"What can go wrong" most of the time isn't some sort of horrible 100 meter tall spider. Usually it results in something that just can't survive.

As a huge nerd I feel compelled to point out that the 100 meter spider probably couldn't survive either. It's weight would scale up disproportionally to the strength of it's muscles or the structural integrity of it's exoskeleton.

EDIT:
Also, going back to big bang related stuff, has anybody else thought about the possibility that the big bang was the result of a Big Rip in a previous universe, or rather from the effect of the big rip on a hadron in that universe?
When the repulsive force of dark energy began to rip its component quarks apart it would instead be converted into a prodigious quantity of matter due to Color Confinement

:um:
Molon Lube

Nephew Twiddleton

Where's the energy separating the quarks and anti-quarks supposed to come from?
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

Oh, my idea was just speculation on another possibility for before the big bang
Praise NHGH! For the tribulation of all sentient beings.

a plague on both your houses -Mercutio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrTGgpWmdZQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVWd7nPjJH8

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhrZgojY1Q

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Don't use the email address in my profile, I lost the password years ago

Don Coyote

Quote from: Nepos twiddletonis on January 14, 2015, 05:42:24 PM
Homeopathish?

No, that's for a hypothesis which is demonstrably incorrect, but still gets trotted out anyway

"What can go wrong" most of the time isn't some sort of horrible 100 meter tall spider. Usually it results in something that just can't survive.

As a huge nerd I feel compelled to point out that the 100 meter spider probably couldn't survive either. It's weight would scale up disproportionally to the strength of it's muscles or the structural integrity of it's exoskeleton.

EDIT:
Also, going back to big bang related stuff, has anybody else thought about the possibility that the big bang was the result of a Big Rip in a previous universe, or rather from the effect of the big rip on a hadron in that universe?
When the repulsive force of dark energy began to rip its component quarks apart it would instead be converted into a prodigious quantity of matter due to Color Confinement

Bothered you that much, huh?

Genetically modified to produce a graphene exoskeleton. Boom.

But isn't there also the problem of respiration with arthropods? IE the bigger they get the less efficiently they can respire?

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Don Coyote on January 14, 2015, 11:55:59 PM
Quote from: Nepos twiddletonis on January 14, 2015, 05:42:24 PM
Homeopathish?

EDIT:

Bothered you that much, huh?

Genetically modified to produce a graphene exoskeleton. Boom.

But isn't there also the problem of respiration with arthropods? IE the bigger they get the less efficiently they can respire?

Give 'em some lung genes.

Nephew Twiddleton

That is true though. An arthropod living on land can only grow as big as the abundance of oxygen in the atmosphere will allow. Creepy crawlies during the Carboniferous Era were fucking huge.

Ben Shapiro

Homeopathish?

EDIT:

Oxygen ratio. I also would be strong enough to left a house over my head, but who cares? Giant spiders.

BeaArthurDent

I know this is kind of a bump, but multi-directional theories of time are not new. i.e. for example a demonstrative case from a reputable physicist: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/next/physics/big-bang-may-created-mirror-universe-time-runs-backwards/

Of course, if you take this position, why just two directions? Maybe time moves in all kinds of directions we can't think of. Given a singularity, could there be an infinite number of offshoots?

Test-ability is definitely a problem, however many physics paradigms have been put forth without proof, just guesses based on current evidence. Some bear out, many do not. Until we are able to construct a way of peering beyond the limits of the Big Bang we are just guessing, but that doesn't mean we won't figure out a way some day.

BeaArthurDent

And I just realized the article I posted came out after the OP. I like that, somehow. Eris touched Legate's brain and gave this person supernatural insight, obviously.

Reginald Ret

Quote from: BeaArthurDent on June 20, 2015, 04:16:19 AM

Of course, if you take this position, why just two directions? Maybe time moves in all kinds of directions we can't think of. Given a singularity, could there be an infinite number of offshoots?

Isn't time only 1 dimension? If so, that is why it can only move in two directions. Dimensions are by definition only 2 way traffic.
It's like measuring how long a yard-stick is and trying to use age instead of length, it just doesn't make sense.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

I think the idea, to summarize it admittedly somewhat glibly, is that if you could have paralell universes then why not a perpindicular universe
Praise NHGH! For the tribulation of all sentient beings.

a plague on both your houses -Mercutio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrTGgpWmdZQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVWd7nPjJH8

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhrZgojY1Q

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Don't use the email address in my profile, I lost the password years ago

Reginald Ret

Quote from: Prelate Diogenes Shandor on June 20, 2015, 11:15:05 PM
I think the idea, to summarize it admittedly somewhat glibly, is that if you could have paralell universes then why not a perpindicular universe
That would require an extra dimension, not using a dimension in new ways.
Also, a mirror universe is something completely different than a parallel universe.

I should really read that link now.
Huh, weird. Does this:
QuoteThat movement toward high entropy gives time its direction.
Combined with this:
QuoteIn one universe, time appears to run forwards. In the other, time runs backwards, at least from our perspective.
Mean that the mirror universe moves toward low entropy? Or does it mean that it moves toward high negative entropy? because the first would be time going backwards, and it wouldn't last long. The second would mean that they may be moving through time in a reversed direction to ours but they would experience time the same way we would. So if communication is possible that would mean understanding eachother wouldn't be a big problem.
That is assuming, ... wel lots of things. Interesting food for thought though!
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"