News:

There are no innocents, only the squeamish and the aroused.

Main Menu

Paranoid Linux project

Started by Cain, June 10, 2008, 08:05:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PeregrineBF

A lot. Promoting universal encryption is a better strategy. *nudges Faust* I require encryption for my e-mail and IMs, I eagerly await the day I can do so with web browsing as well.

Reginald Ret

Link dead, but so is the topic.

Bump for the purpose of annoyance.

related:
hxxp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tin_Hat_Linux
hxxp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tinfoil_Hat_Linux
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Cainad (dec.)

Paranoid Linux is teh dead? :x

Reginald Ret

Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

l1l_g4m3r5

Quote from: Cain on June 10, 2008, 08:05:43 AM
http://paranoidlinux.org/

QuoteParanoid Linux is an operating system that assumes that its operator is under assault from the government (it was intended for use by Chinese and Syrian dissidents), and it does everything it can to keep your communications and documents a secret. It even throws up a bunch of "chaff" communications that are supposed to disguise the fact that you're doing anything covert. So while you're receiving a political message one character at a time, ParanoidLinux is pretending to surf the Web and fill in questionnaires and flirt in chat-rooms. Meanwhile, one in every five hundred characters you receive is your real message, a needle buried in a huge haystack.
~Cory Doctorow (Little Brother, 2008)

"I cant acess the site do i need anything to acess it".

When those words were written, ParanoidLinux was just a fiction. It is our goal to make this a reality. The project officially started on May 14th, and has been growing ever since. We welcome your ideas, contributions, designs, or code. You can find us on freenode's irc server in the #paranoidlinux channel. Hope to see you there!

I think the above quote explains it pretty well.

You can download Cory Doctorow's book here if you want to know more.  Its not necessary, but it is a good book, and he is encouraging people to share it.  I also think something along the lines of Paranoid Linux has potential, even though it is Linux.

tyrannosaurus vex

Quote from: Cain on June 10, 2008, 08:05:43 AM
http://paranoidlinux.org/

QuoteParanoid Linux is an operating system that assumes that its operator is under assault from the government (it was intended for use by Chinese and Syrian dissidents), and it does everything it can to keep your communications and documents a secret. It even throws up a bunch of "chaff" communications that are supposed to disguise the fact that you're doing anything covert. So while you're receiving a political message one character at a time, ParanoidLinux is pretending to surf the Web and fill in questionnaires and flirt in chat-rooms. Meanwhile, one in every five hundred characters you receive is your real message, a needle buried in a huge haystack.
~Cory Doctorow (Little Brother, 2008)

When those words were written, ParanoidLinux was just a fiction. It is our goal to make this a reality. The project officially started on May 14th, and has been growing ever since. We welcome your ideas, contributions, designs, or code. You can find us on freenode's irc server in the #paranoidlinux channel. Hope to see you there!

I think the above quote explains it pretty well.

You can download Cory Doctorow's book here if you want to know more.  Its not necessary, but it is a good book, and he is encouraging people to share it.  I also think something along the lines of Paranoid Linux has potential, even though it is Linux.

:facepalm:
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

Cain

Yes, God forbid some of us are tired with evangelizing Linux using assholes.

What was I thinking?  Oh yeah, that I'm tired of evangelizing Linux-using assholes.

tyrannosaurus vex

Quote from: Cain on November 03, 2010, 02:51:49 PM
Yes, God forbid some of us are tired with evangelizing Linux using assholes.

What was I thinking?  Oh yeah, that I'm tired of evangelizing Linux-using assholes.

I'm not saying Linux evangelists aren't annoying (they are) but to disparage the OS just because it's used by assholes is a bit short-sighted, really. 90% of the planet's assholes use Windows, but when I disparage Windows it's because it's an unstable, insecure, unsafe, crash-prone, backdoor-ridden heap of antiquated crap, not because the people who use it are either smugly mainstream or herded like cattle into a platform there are better alternatives for. I mean, it isn't really Windows' fault that people are stupid enough to use it, and it isn't Linux' fault that its users are assholes. Debate the platforms, or debate the users. Debating the platform because of the users is like saying Jesus Christ was an asshole just because Fred Phelps is.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

Triple Zero

ANYWAY, Liam is correct, "Paranoid Linux" is pretty much vapourware. It's just mentioned in the story, some people started building it but never finished the job.

There is, however, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tinfoil_Hat_Linux

But that's only the first one I came across. There's a zillion different bunch of Linux distros out there, and some of them are probably bolted damn tight. If you're serious about the security, checking these out and comparing the features should also give you a good idea what sort of things various distros think is important qua security, and especially which security features are most relevant to your particular situation.

For instance complete/total security is impossible or at least really really hard. So, think of a few use cases that you want to defend against. Also mind that TrueCrypt's plausible deniability feature might be hella cool and superclever, if it's going to get you tortured to death just to be sure you burped up the key to the last layer of nested hidden encrypted volumes, you might have wanted to go with a steganographical approach and possibly save yourself some agony.

On the other hand, if it's just for shits and giggles and because "Paranoid Linux" sounds cool, I think "Tinfoil Hat Linux" should suffice ;-)

Others:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DerivativeTeam/Derivatives/Ubuntu%20Privacy%20Remix
http://polippix.org/
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Precious Moments Zalgo

I prefer Damn Vulnerable Linux myself.

QuoteDamn Vulnerable Linux (DVL) is everything a good Linux distribution isn't. Its developers have spent hours stuffing it with broken, ill-configured, outdated, and exploitable software that makes it vulnerable to attacks.
I will answer ANY prayer for $39.95.*

*Unfortunately, I cannot give refunds in the event that the answer is no.

Triple Zero

Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Jasper

I love the thought of what an incredible asshole you would have to be to even have that idea. :lulz:

GIGGLES

CORY DOCTOROW FAIL?

NOOOOOOOO... FOR SRS?

I AM SHOCKED! SHOCKED!

Epic Programmer

I am so phsyced by this! I can't wait for this to happen!
:)

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Epic Programmer on April 02, 2015, 01:30:54 PM
I am so phsyced by this! I can't wait for this to happen!
:)

Best first post ever.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."