News:

PD.com: Taoism in a clown costume.

Main Menu

3D without glasses

Started by Daruko, June 13, 2008, 05:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daruko

yarn

Without the ability of full sight in my right eye, 3d movies have been a bit of a confusing bummer for me.

Daruko

Quote from: Yarnsique on June 13, 2008, 06:03:31 PM
Without the ability of full sight in my right eye, 3d movies have been a bit of a confusing bummer for me.

aw that sucks  :x

Triple Zero

Quote from: Daruko on June 13, 2008, 05:55:02 PM
http://www.technologyreview.com/Infotech/20892/?a=f

I want to see one.

lol i happened to visit Philips Hi Tech Labs with my research group last week and saw this 3D TV.

i told about that, right?

it's not very impressive. and the turtle definitely doesnt fly out of the screen like on the picture. you look *into* the screen, things do not come out.

we saw a version of some scene from the Fantastic Four movie.

the 3D is kind of like those ridged photo cards, you know? it gives the perception of depth, but it also makes you feel like your eyes are kinda defocusing.

it has another problem that causes the colours to "bleed" a littlebit on the edges, although they solved that in newer prototypes.

the biggest disadvantage is that you don't want to view an entire movie like this, because after about 5 minutes or so it gets kind of annoying on the eyes, i dunno why, probably because you feel you can't quite properly focus on it.

they said they'd expect the first models to be on the market within 3-5 years.

but first they are going to deploy it in high-end fashion stores (they have money) for displaying wall-advertisements. ads are annoying anyway, and not watched for very long, so the "ZOMG ITS 3D" factor might actually grab some attention.

but i saw a newer model as a wall-video-advertisement for Bjorn Borg (sp?) in a prototype shop thing, it had an incredibly cheap and fake feeling to it, i dunno why. probably because of the ridged video thing.

- triple zero,
still skeptical as always over 3D and virtual reality
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

nostalgicBadger

Yeah, neat idea, but I can't imagine it being comfortable to watch. I've no doubt that, where the novelty of watching a movie in 3d is concerned, not needing glasses is a huge advantage, not only for the sake of comfort, but for mass apeal. But who wants to watch television in 3d? It might be cool for a summer blockbuster once in a while, but I don't really need to see the depth of Dr. Cuddy's cleavage.

Then again...
meh.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Why do so many people have that avatar of the kid in the Harpo glasses?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."