News:

Yes we're horrible toxic people, because this is 2020's Mental Illness Olympics, and the winners get a free pass on giving life-threatening advice with the bonus of having zero accountability for their shit behaviour.

Main Menu

Why I like Watching Sport

Started by Thurnez Isa, June 12, 2008, 02:39:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thurnez Isa

With the Euro Games going on it occurs to me that the Europeans understand the one thing I love about sport. Even those who can't appreciate soccer, but love sport can understand this too – the sheer naturalism of watching two rival countries grind themselves into the mud. It's warfare. It primitivism in all its glory.
This is what the professors mean when they call sport “modern mythology”. They don't mean some fancy poet with a lyre and too much time on his hands. Read the old myths, even the first half of our cultures supposed holy book. Its all chopping your enemy in two and raping their family in their skins.

Watching the Penguins in the Stanley Cup finals was fun... brings back childhood drama from when I first got into sport, but never stirred me like when my own “tribe” is at war.
I remember a little lad in Sudbury there was something special when the Wolves went up against Sault Saint Marie Greyhounds (we're the capital of the north and Sault Saint Marie sucks since the closed the Basement Strip Club) or the Generals... all those fuckers from Oshawa are all soccer moms anyways.
Now I tell you those games we're a glorious testament on how primitive our species are. Blood, tussled and violence. Monkey calling whenever that 100 year old stuffed wolf they suspended by a wire was lowered whenever the Wolves score. Having to leave exit quickly from the arena when the Wolves won, or lost, or before the police showed up.

Now I'm not going to make assumptions on whether this primitivism is right or wrong, I'm not a moralist, but with everything become even more homogenized and sterilized (especially many of the big money making sport) maybe before we eventually sterilize ourselves we still have a little time left to be remind ourselves of the feeling of being alive.
Through me the way to the city of woe, Through me the way to everlasting pain, Through me the way among the lost.
Justice moved my maker on high.
Divine power made me, Wisdom supreme, and Primal love.
Before me nothing was but things eternal, and eternal I endure.
Abandon all hope, you who enter here.

Dante

wade

I can appreciate that, you're right on.

Also, Oshawa is a fucking shitpit.  That place is so heavily polluted it is pathetic...
REALLY real discordians

i wouldnt hurt a fly
:thumb: :kojak:

cheeseball

So many people, it seems, have lost touch with the fact that
WE ARE IN FACT ANIMALS!!!
Nothing more.  Ants could take over the world if they wanted, but they haven't yet...
although they are posing a major attack on my kitchen...
We've completely lost touch with the Earth.
When was the last time you walked barefool through the grass or dirt?  ('Sept you sad people in the desert)  Or took a three day hike to a hot spring and bathed in the mineral water with no one around for miles?  We are animals who forget we come from the earth and then return to it just like everything else.  All these bastards with their conspiracies to get rich and rule this or that.  What will it matter to them in another hundred years anyway?