News:

'sup, my privileged, cishet shitlords?  I'm back from oppressing womyn and PoC.

Main Menu

New Oldskool Discordian Text?

Started by Cramulus, June 16, 2008, 04:24:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cramulus

I was talking to St. Mae last night. (the owner of discordian.com) She said she was contacted by a guy who says he was collaborating on a book with Kerry Thornley before he died. She said it was a book on Discordian Demonology, and catalogued the numerous Discordian demons.

She's trying to figure out the best way to distribute it to the community. I think it'll probably be PDF'd and hosted on discordian.com for their ten year anniversary.

I'm very curious.  :p

Mourning Star

Neat I guess.

Whatever.  New shit to read at least eh?

A.N. Other

What qualifies as a Discordian demon?
"Wow, for an asshole, everyone loves you, honey." -My wife

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Awesome!

Of course, now we'll have to wonder if he was collaborating with Kerry, or if he just claims that ;-)
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Thurnez Isa

Quote from: K-Scar on June 16, 2008, 06:49:30 PM

I believe half of us are on that list
Through me the way to the city of woe, Through me the way to everlasting pain, Through me the way among the lost.
Justice moved my maker on high.
Divine power made me, Wisdom supreme, and Primal love.
Before me nothing was but things eternal, and eternal I endure.
Abandon all hope, you who enter here.

Dante

AFK

Quote from: K-Scar on June 16, 2008, 06:49:30 PM

I have some suggestions but will refrain, for now. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

hooplala

"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Reverend Loveshade

Quote from: Ratatosk on June 16, 2008, 06:58:51 PM
Awesome!

Of course, now we'll have to wonder if he was collaborating with Kerry, or if he just claims that ;-)

Personally, I have my doubts Kerry Thornley was much involved.  He was dealing with paranoia for about the last 10 years of his life, and cut off associations with just about everyone.  His old friend Robert Anton Wilson said that Thornley became convinced Wilson was with the CIA, and for a while Wilson himself had a mild fear that when he left his home Thornley might be there to attack him out of deluded self-preservation.

Thornley's paranoia may have begun with Jim Garrison's investigation of the connection between Thornley and John F. Kennedy's assassin (or supposed assassin) Lee Harvey Oswald.  Or it may have begun earlier, for apparently Thornley, Oswald and a few others who were in the U. S. Marines together were subjects in some type of military experiment involving brain-affecting chemicals.  (Adam Gorightly wrote about this in The Prankster and the Conspiracy, which is where much of this post is from.  I'm writing from memory, so may be a little off on a couple details).

In any case, Thornley became increasingly incoherent.  I once heard him rant in the very late 1980s or very early 1990s, and he talked about having a warehouse full of information on various conspiracies.  He then asked a reporter what year he was born; when the reporter told him, Thornley said, "You'll be dead in three years, probably by fire."  He sounded completely serious, whereas Thornley in his right mind apparently always had a sense of tongue-in-cheek about him.

During those last years, Thornley traveled here and there and would suddenly disappear, sometimes living on the street or with whoever was willing to deal with his mental illness, for which he refused treatment.  Apparently, that's a common problem among those suffering from what they call or used to call (I'm not a psychologist, so don't know for sure) paranoid schizophrenia--if you're paranoid, you're likely to think the doctor is out to get you.  He then had several medical problems and ended up getting regular dialysis after suffering kidney failure.

All in all, it seems unlikely he trusted anyone enough during those last years to work on a book with em.
"Threats should not be tolerated. They're demeaning, they're violations to human rights and no one deserves them."

-- navkat, 20 June 2007, principiadiscordia.com

Reverend Loveshade

I just heard from St. Mae.  The good saint said whether the work is from Thornley's writings or not, what Mae has seen so far is good stuff.  The guy's an artist, and did some drawings that impressed Mae.  And a connection by mail seems more likely to me than an in person connection, which is what I was thinking at first.  Maybe I was stuck in my own reality tunnel?  In any case, I'm looking forward to seeing the work too.
"Threats should not be tolerated. They're demeaning, they're violations to human rights and no one deserves them."

Auguste

This might be fun to repost as the Necronomicon or Goetia on wannabe-Pagan boards.

hooplala

Quote from: Reverend Uncle BadTouch on June 17, 2008, 05:56:50 AM
Quote from: Ratatosk on June 16, 2008, 06:58:51 PM
Awesome!

Personally, I have my doubts Kerry Thornley was much involved.  He was dealing with paranoia for about the last 10 years of his life, and cut off associations with just about everyone.  His old friend Robert Anton Wilson said that Thornley became convinced Wilson was with the CIA, and for a while Wilson himself had a mild fear that when he left his home Thornley might be there to attack him out of deluded self-preservation.

Thornley's paranoia may have begun with Jim Garrison's investigation of the connection between Thornley and John F. Kennedy's assassin (or supposed assassin) Lee Harvey Oswald.  Or it may have begun earlier, for apparently Thornley, Oswald and a few others who were in the U. S. Marines together were subjects in some type of military experiment involving brain-affecting chemicals.  (Adam Gorightly wrote about this in The Prankster and the Conspiracy, which is where much of this post is from.  I'm writing from memory, so may be a little off on a couple details).

In any case, Thornley became increasingly incoherent.  I once heard him rant in the very late 1980s or very early 1990s, and he talked about having a warehouse full of information on various conspiracies.  He then asked a reporter what year he was born; when the reporter told him, Thornley said, "You'll be dead in three years, probably by fire."  He sounded completely serious, whereas Thornley in his right mind apparently always had a sense of tongue-in-cheek about him.

During those last years, Thornley traveled here and there and would suddenly disappear, sometimes living on the street or with whoever was willing to deal with his mental illness, for which he refused treatment.  Apparently, that's a common problem among those suffering from what they call or used to call (I'm not a psychologist, so don't know for sure) paranoid schizophrenia--if you're paranoid, you're likely to think the doctor is out to get you.  He then had several medical problems and ended up getting regular dialysis after suffering kidney failure.

All in all, it seems unlikely he trusted anyone enough during those last years to work on a book with em.

There are a series of interviews with Thornley with Sondra London from around '92 (I have them on my blog somewhere, if you are interested go here: http://baronvonhoopla.blogspot.com/2007/11/9th-anniversery-of-omars-check-out.html) where he seems more or less completely coherent.  If he was able to maintain this sort of discourse it seems likely to me he could still collaborate on projects.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Raphaella

I watched those interviews a while ago. He did seem lucid enough to me as well, but one can never be sure of these things. TimeCube.com guy seems lucid enough as well, so there you go.
The sun shall be turned to darkness and the moon into blood before the coming of the great and terrible OZ

Cramulus

Its been a few years since I've read the Prankster and the Conspiracy , but I got the impression that though Thornley went batshit crazy for a while, at the end he kind of calmed down. He was living with Sondra London, accepting visitors, and was relatively coherent, if not a little frazzled by several years of total insanity.

I'm sure he must have done some writing in those last days. And I'm very curious about it.

Verbal Mike

I personally look forward to seeing this new tome.
Unless stated otherwise, feel free to copy or reproduce any text I post anywhere and any way you like. I will never throw a hissy-fit over it, promise.

Reverend Loveshade

QuoteThere are a series of interviews with Thornley with Sondra London from around '92 (I have them on my blog somewhere, if you are interested go here: http://baronvonhoopla.blogspot.com/2007/11/9th-anniversery-of-omars-check-out.html) where he seems more or less completely coherent.  If he was able to maintain this sort of discourse it seems likely to me he could still collaborate on projects.

Cool.  I'll be busy through the weekend, but after that I'll definitely have to check that out.