News:

PD.com: promoting the nomadic, war-like and democratic lupine culture since 2002

Main Menu

Anyone Watch Colbert Tonight(6/17)?

Started by NWC, June 18, 2008, 04:59:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NWC

He was talking to some guest who wrote a book about the internet, and part of the interview included them discussing what "creative chaos" is, at least in terms of the internet. I'll watch the interview again and pay more attention, see if I can transcribe any of it. But yeah it was pretty interesting.
PROSECUTORS WILL BE TRANSGRESSICUTED

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: NWC on June 18, 2008, 04:59:00 AM
He was talking to some guest who wrote a book about the internet, and part of the interview included them discussing what "creative chaos" is, at least in terms of the internet. I'll watch the interview again and pay more attention, see if I can transcribe any of it. But yeah it was pretty interesting.

We were just discussing the same thing.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

tyrannosaurus vex

last night, he covered the story about the teacher in Florida who got fired for "Wizardry," too.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

Thurnez Isa

wow Florda is completely fucked up, isn't it
Through me the way to the city of woe, Through me the way to everlasting pain, Through me the way among the lost.
Justice moved my maker on high.
Divine power made me, Wisdom supreme, and Primal love.
Before me nothing was but things eternal, and eternal I endure.
Abandon all hope, you who enter here.

Dante

tyrannosaurus vex

he stole the story from this board tho. it's in Apple Talk somewhere.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

To be fair, he could also have stolen it from the news.

There have been a few things that seemed pretty inarguable evidence that he's reading here... but overall I'm skeptical of placing too much credence on the "he got that from us" take on his stories, partly because I'm on another board with a bunch of my IRL friends where the same links get posted as here all the time, completely independently, and to take it a step further, a lot of the conversations will be on the same subjects, on the same day (very confusing when I switch back and forth from that board to this one... I get confused about where I've posted what).

After all, when we post a link, it's because we saw it somewhere else first. Sometimes you do just stumble upon things, but I'm willing to bet that 90% of the links posted here are reposts from another venue.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Basically what I'm saying is, some of the coincidences could simply be a manifestation of the Law of Fives.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cramulus

:argh!:

Nigel, did you misplace your tinfoil beanie or something?
you're doing it wrong!

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Nigel on June 18, 2008, 05:03:50 PM
Basically what I'm saying is, some of the coincidences could simply be a manifestation of the Law of Fives.

But see, its one of the reasons I love the old memes... The old memes are strong enough that they have begun pushing their way into other areas of Pop culture. Consider Dr. Steel, he may not be a Discordian, he may never have read the PD... but his interviews touch several memes which might indicate otherwise.

When Dr. Steel says that one of his heroes is Emperor Norton, is that just because he heard about Norton I from friends in SF, or because he's a Childe o'Eris? That some of his interviews seem to paraphrase Quantum Psychology and Prometheus Rising may indicate a similar interest in perception and reality, or it might indicate that he is a fan of RAW. The same seems true for Colbert, at the very least he's dropped some obvious hints that he's familiar with Eris, something that isn't all that common (maybe he watches Billy and Mandy, I dunno). He's dropped some less than common memes (like "23 Skidoo")... Did he get the memes from the same place we did, or did he get them from the wild, after Discordians released them, or did he come across them from some entirely different angle?

I dunno, but speculation is teh fun.

Also, I would not particularly assume that he gets his story ideas from this board. But I do enjoy considering the possibility.

If he has Taleb on next week, we'll know for sure ;-)

Thurnez Isa

fuck i get enough of those old memes from you spags
i dont need to hear them IRL
Through me the way to the city of woe, Through me the way to everlasting pain, Through me the way among the lost.
Justice moved my maker on high.
Divine power made me, Wisdom supreme, and Primal love.
Before me nothing was but things eternal, and eternal I endure.
Abandon all hope, you who enter here.

Dante

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Thurnez Isa on June 18, 2008, 05:21:58 PM
fuck i get enough of those old memes from you spags
i dont need to hear them IRL

Maybe not, but you do need something for all that sand...

Iason Ouabache

Quote from: NWC on June 18, 2008, 04:59:00 AM
If you wait about a day the interview will be up on Comedy Central's website.  I loved the interview with Kenneth Miller from last night, BTW.  Calling cdesign proponentsists "welfare queens" was pure win!   
:lulz:
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Professor Cramulus on June 18, 2008, 05:05:41 PM

you're doing it wrong!

I am most comfortable in the role of Straight Man.

Payne

Quote from: Nigel on June 19, 2008, 02:26:28 AM

you're doing it wrong!

:fap:

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Payne on June 19, 2008, 02:29:31 AM
Quote from: Nigel on June 19, 2008, 02:26:28 AM

you're doing it wrong!

:fap:

You should see my...

never mind.