News:

Yes we're horrible toxic people, because this is 2020's Mental Illness Olympics, and the winners get a free pass on giving life-threatening advice with the bonus of having zero accountability for their shit behaviour.

Main Menu

Creativity in a Cultural Wasteland

Started by Payne, June 19, 2008, 02:32:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Payne

Quote from: Nigel on June 25, 2008, 02:24:13 AM
Quote from: Daruko on June 24, 2008, 04:41:27 PM
i'll pay you precisely as much as i would charge you for downloading one of my songs lmno.

that is, squat.   :D

now if you wanted an imaged CD, complete with cover art and inserts, I'd charge you for the materials, of course.

Yeah, FUCK YOU LMNO! I'm going to dl and enjoy the FUCK out of that recording but I'll be damned if I'm going to pay you shit for it! I'm not going to not pay you quietly, either, I'm going to TELL you about it so you KNOW HOW MUCH I'M NOT PAYING YOU SQUAT to enjoy your work!

My work too! :'(

Even if, as I said earlier, LMNO put more actual effort into his version.....  :p

And I would refuse payment on the grounds that I didn't actually use any valuable resources to create it in the first place.

Triple Zero

damn what's up with you people .. LMNO's "pay me $1 on paypal" thing was a JOKE right?

PLEASE TELL ME IT WAS A JOKE

because otherwise I will get offensive on purpose.

.. which has nothing to do with my views on copyright, but everything with what i think this site is about for me.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

LMNO

Part joke, part sociological experiment.

You can pay me a dollar if you want to (the paypal account is valid), but like I said above, you don't have to if you don't want to.  Kind of like shareware.  I just figured if anyone wanted or freely chose to donate to the cause, I'd provide the means.

For the record, I'm not offended if no one pays for it.  I would have posted it anyway.

Wait a sec... do I have to report the $1.26 to the IRS as income now?

Also, 000: In the "Kopyleft" thread, I specifically said all my text is KL, but my music is ©.  For what it's worth.

Payne

My posts on the matter were all supposed to sound jokey too.

Though I DID pay LMNO for his track, that was more out of excitement that one of my own bits of writing that I really liked got a really cool treatment by the man.

Daruko

I think it's just fine that Payne paid, or anyone else for that matter. 

I also think it's just fine that I didn't.  Especially considering:

Quote from: LMNOOr, you can have it for free.

As far as:

Quote from: Verbatimwtf Daruko?
Quote from: Verbatim"I will pay you NOTHING HAHA!"
yes, very tactful.

do you just get offensive by accident or something? I don't get it.
Quote from: NigelYeah, FUCK YOU LMNO! I'm going to dl and enjoy the FUCK out of that recording but I'll be damned if I'm going to pay you shit for it! I'm not going to not pay you quietly, either, I'm going to TELL you about it so you KNOW HOW MUCH I'M NOT PAYING YOU SQUAT to enjoy your work!

Not that it matters, but I didn't dig the tune enormously.  It's just fine and I certainly wouldn't criticise anything about it; it just didn't get me off.  So I won't REALLY be doing anything with it. 

However, if you link to something on this site, I will pirate your music just as easily as I'll pirate music from Mr. Bigshot Label Band that banks millions.  I'm not going to get into some drawn out lengthy discussion about the ETHICS of COPYRIGHTED material and pirating it.  I am a pirate, plain and simple.  Judge me if you wish, it will change nothing.  Whine and cry and call me a big fat jerk off and preach about how you don't pirate, or only pirate CDs you own, or bands that can afford it, and whatever other nonsense you wish.  That's just fine for you.  I do as I will, and as I already mentioned, it's not a double standard.  I don't give a flying fuck who downloads any music I make IN FULL for FREE.   If I was out to make money, I'd be doing live shows and marketing my material there (which I have at times), and as I mentioned, if there were MATERIALS to pay for, I'd charge for that.    I'm barely going to mention the potential profit to be MADE from pirated EXPOSURE.

I will pirate anything I damn well feel like pirating anytime I damn well please. 

Perhaps I wouldn't have mentioned it if others hadn't postured about paying for it.  I felt like boasting about NOT PAYING, all the same, as LMNO invited those to who wished to do so to do it ANYWAY.

Sorry if I'm coming off like an asshat, just giving it to ya straight.

Oh and one more thing, none of that was me, I'm not really a pirate.  All of the previous text here was dictated from my friend Hagbard.  Pinky swear.  And he's gone now.  He can't argue any points.    :D

LMNO

While all your post makes me do is put another check mark in the "Durko = Freeloading Assbag" column, I couldn't help but notice that you won't pay for art if it's music, but you will pay for art if it's graphic design, layout and packaging.

Never mind that visual art and auditory art are two entirely separate disciplines.

Daruko

Quote from: LMNO on June 25, 2008, 02:54:30 PM
While all your post makes me do is put another check mark in the "Durko = Freeloading Assbag" column, I couldn't help but notice that you won't pay for art if it's music, but you will pay for art if it's graphic design, layout and packaging.

Never mind that visual art and auditory art are two entirely separate disciplines.

Course it doesn't matter that you yourself distributed it for free, and I'm SURE you never pirate ANYTHING.   Good luck getting rich by selling songs on the internet, spag.   

Triple Zero

Quote from: LMNO on June 25, 2008, 12:53:33 PMPart joke, part sociological experiment.

You can pay me a dollar if you want to (the paypal account is valid), but like I said above, you don't have to if you don't want to.  Kind of like shareware.  I just figured if anyone wanted or freely chose to donate to the cause, I'd provide the means.

For the record, I'm not offended if no one pays for it.  I would have posted it anyway.

well, yeah, it just makes me wonder if it's now suddenly allright that next time i fix something on this server, i'm going to put a paypal account next to the post that says "i fixt it", so people can donate me for my time.

that is what i mean with what i think this site is about for me.

because i do not want this place to become to be about that.

QuoteAlso, 000: In the "Kopyleft" thread, I specifically said all my text is KL, but my music is ©.  For what it's worth.

.. which is not very much if you post the download link on a public forum.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

LMNO

Quote from: Daruko on June 25, 2008, 03:19:31 PM

Course it doesn't matter that you yourself distributed it for free, and I'm SURE you never pirate ANYTHING.   Good luck getting rich by selling songs on the internet, spag.   

I see you're not addressing the point I was making.  Care to try again?

LMNO

Quote from: triple zero on June 25, 2008, 03:19:35 PM
Quote from: LMNO on June 25, 2008, 12:53:33 PMPart joke, part sociological experiment.

well, yeah, it just makes me wonder if it's now suddenly allright that next time i fix something on this server, i'm going to put a paypal account next to the post that says "i fixt it", so people can donate me for my time.

that is what i mean with what i think this site is about for me.

because i do not want this place to become to be about that.

No, that wasn't my intention.

However, you have saved this forum more than a few times, and I'd toss a few bucks your way if you wanted.

Daruko

Quote from: LMNO on June 25, 2008, 04:18:36 PM
Quote from: Daruko on June 25, 2008, 03:19:31 PM

I see you're not addressing the point I was making.  Care to try again?

What i was talking about when i said i'd pay for physical materials, is covering your COSTS, not paying you for your creativity.  Of course, I have no problem paying people for their creativity either.  But that's a personal CHOICE.  If I paid for every piece of art work I appreciated, I'd have very little artwork (music, paper, etc) to appreciate.    Also, if everyone who appreciated my artwork paid ME for it, there'd be very few people who have appreciated MY artwork. 

The internet will never be regulated to the point that piracy doesn't take place.  So if you're gonna  :argh!: everytime you see it, you're gonna be screaming for the rest of your life.  Meanwhile, I'll be looking at ways for piracy to work FOR me, both as an appreciator of art, and as an artist.

Yuo didn't comment on my statement regarding you and piracy.  You ever pirate anything LMNO?

If so, you mind sharing the CORRECT rules with me, so I don't end up a communist?

LMNO

The equipment I used to create that thing cost me $3000.  If I didn't have those "materials", I couldn't have created it.

I expect payment in full by the end of the day.

Daruko

Quote from: LMNO on June 25, 2008, 04:47:28 PM
The equipment I used to create that thing cost me $3000.  If I didn't have those "materials", I couldn't have created it.

I expect payment in full by the end of the day.

um... you realize what a poor argument that is right?

well along those lines, can you buy me a new computer, since you're reading my "work" right now?  i put at least a thousand bucks into the machine that enabled me to publish this "literature".

oh, and you still haven't answered my question...  i wonder why.   :roll:

EDIT:   Anti-Piracy, Veganism, and people who vehemently oppose litter on account of it "harming the environment" seem eerily similar to me.   For instance, all three ideologies involve masturbatory ego boosts revolving around strong certainty (usually coupled with activism) and completely pointless self-imposed limitations.  Of course, I get dangerously close to doing the same, if I ridicule these people for choosing not to pirate, eat whatever, or not litter.  But the problem lies in their insistence that there's something WRONG with me for not similarly imposing the same limitations.            Do as thou wilt.

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Daruko, just STFU and stop being a witless douche bag.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Daruko