News:

If they treat education like a product, they can't very well bitch when you act like a consumer.

Main Menu

Shortest Definition

Started by Iason Ouabache, June 26, 2008, 02:16:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

Nope.

They typically don't understand Gnosis, either.

Cain

Rinzai Zen is stupidly obvious.

"Oh you mean by naming and categorizing things I am overshadowing their unique properties and beauty?  Thanks, but I already knew that.  Man, satori sucks if this is all it is."

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: Kai on August 26, 2008, 12:43:59 AM

People really don't understand Zen (Chan) Buddhism, do they?

Why d'you think they came up with this "Zen for roundeyes" baloney?

Iason Ouabache

Let it go, Kai.  Just let it go.
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Lupernikes_shadowbark

I'm a non practising nihilist :wink:

Triple Zero

Buddhism is all about being a road warrior mowing down smartass smiling fat people, right?
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

LMNO

hooplala

Quote from: Iason Ouabache on August 26, 2008, 05:56:32 PM

Let it go, Kai.  Just let it go.

Eh?
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Valerie - Gone

It's hard for me to describe Discordianism because there are different types, in my eyes. There's the pinealists, and then there's this group. I've not actually been around pinealists, but from what I've heard on this board, the two groups are different. This group came up with the BIP, and I don't really see the BIP as being mainstream Discordianism. Which is a shame, because I think that the BIP is more... important, in a way. It challenges you in a way that the PD doesn't.

And I've lost where I was going with all of that... I guess I want a definition not of Discordianism in general, but of the brand of Discordianism "practiced" on this board.
People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost.

Let him that would move the world, first move himself. -Socrates

Requia ☣

I don't think the brands of discordianism around here differ much from what RAW created, the spags here are just better at tearing down the idols.  The most useful thing about the BIP is probably that I know the people that made it, which means I can use it as a guide while having a very strong imprint of the fallability of its creators.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

AFK

The PD was, "Let me enlighten you with some funnies"
The BIP was, "Let me enlighten you with a sledgehammer"

Okay, that's probably overstating it.  Honestly, I have zero familiarity with RAW so I can't speak to the similarities of what goes on here and what that cat wrote.  I only read the PD and then found this place.  I'm, personally, WAY more interested in what we can come up with here in an original sense.  I'm sure RAW is useful for some as a reference. 

See, the thing of it is, the "Think For Yourself, Schmuck" theme really isn't a Discordian theme.  Or that is, it shouldn't be.  It seems like it's one of those no brainers that would be so easy to get and to understand, if you just opened your mind to it of course.  I think that is part of the reason why some kind of rail against the pinealist stuff.  It just seems sometimes it can be too much smoke and mirrors that can obscure the ideas. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Well, I actually find it kinda funny that we often find ourselves treading the same ground that RAW and friends have walked previously. Sure they made notes about the Flora and Fauna that they saw in their safari through reality, but we can make new observations of that Flora and Fauna through the lens of 30+ years of More Information.

Also, there's a pretty interesting variation between the Discordianism that displayed in the PD and the Discordianism that's displayed in RAW's writings and antics. The Discordianism of Hill/Thornley of 1959 was definately low on philosophy and high on parody and outright silliness. RAW had a philosophical view which tied nicely with Discordianism and that seems to have become the more popular version among 'pinealists'.

QuoteSee, the thing of it is, the "Think For Yourself, Schmuck" theme really isn't a Discordian theme.  Or that is, it shouldn't be.  It seems like it's one of those no brainers that would be so easy to get and to understand, if you just opened your mind to it of course.  I think that is part of the reason why some kind of rail against the pinealist stuff.  It just seems sometimes it can be too much smoke and mirrors that can obscure the ideas.

It's all about context. In the context which that phrase is used, it's quite Discordian, I think. In the meme usage, it seems to have lost some of its punch.

In I3! Hagbard Celine (the crazy guy with the giant yellow submarine) brings George Dorn (the symbolic Cabbage that's about to get a wake up call) on board his secret ship. In mythological terms, the Fool (George) has just gone through his first major trial (imprisoned by rednecks in Texas) and got broken out by a mysterious and very deadly female (other symbolism there). Anyway, he meets Hagbard as part of a traditional "Mentor" story and right after this meeting, while looking at the artwork on Hagbard's submarine, he sees a picture of Moses, coming down from Mount Sinai with the two tablets of the Law. The caption of the artwork claims that God gave Moses only 1 Commandment:  "Think For Yourself, ya Schmuck!"

For Dorn, its a sort of "Red Pill/Blue Pill/Hagbards Special Weed" time. The painting is a symbol in the book and it works beautifully. Unfortunately, its also catchy and makes a halfway decent meme if you're a parroting sort of individual.

In context, its a great memebomb, especially if you come from a Christian background... and haven't questioned things too much (which is where I was at the time). Out of context, it's ok... and it makes a good meme in conversation between Discordians i.e. "Guess they didn't TFY,S!, did they?"

But, as a meme to spread and mindfuck people... its just not that useful without the context.

Now, if someone would actually make a piece of artwork, with Moses and God and that single commandment... that might be a good memebomb.

- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Manta Obscura

Quote from: Iason Ouabache on June 26, 2008, 02:16:30 AM
I really really really hate it when people ask me what religion I am.  Mostly because Discordianism is such an obscure religion that not many people know about. But the main problem I have is that it is almost impossible to describe to someone in just a couple of sentences.  It usually takes about 5 minutes of explaining and/or throwing a copy of the PD at their head. 

So here is the challenge I presenting to all of you:  What is the shortest explanation of Discordianism that you can give?  I'm not asking what Discordianism means to you. We've got plenty of other threads about that.  I want a short universal definition that I can spit out and get people off of my back.

Ok, ready?  Go!

I give alternate definitions depending on whether I'm in a straightforward or philosophical/introspective mood.

Straightforward: "It's the religion of acting in ways that make you want to be alive."

Philosophical: "It's finding life funny even when others aren't laughing."
Everything I wish for myself, I wish for you also.

Valerie - Gone

Quote from: Manta Obscura on November 18, 2008, 09:44:43 PM
Straightforward: "It's the religion of acting in ways that make you want to be alive."

I like both of these definitions. Especially the philosophical one. If Clipmarks was working, I would clip it. Will save it in a different way.
People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost.

Let him that would move the world, first move himself. -Socrates

Manta Obscura

Quote from: Valerie on November 18, 2008, 11:23:42 PM
Quote from: Manta Obscura on November 18, 2008, 09:44:43 PM

I like both of these definitions. Especially the philosophical one. If Clipmarks was working, I would clip it. Will save it in a different way.

Thanks, Valerie.
Everything I wish for myself, I wish for you also.