News:

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.

Main Menu

Shortest Definition

Started by Iason Ouabache, June 26, 2008, 02:16:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AFK

I have no experience with Jazz guitar, but I was a horn player in a Jazz band.  We used sheet music for our performances.  Solos, of course were often improvised and not written out. 

I think without understanding and being able to read the music, one might be prone to wandering into Jam Band territory, instead of playing actual Jazz. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on July 05, 2008, 01:08:20 AM
Quote from: Skid Rat Son of Inkblot on July 05, 2008, 01:02:47 AM
Don't worry, bull goose is making damn good and sure to chase me all over the forum and insult my compliments.

Bull goose?   :lulz:

I think you should intentionally misinterpret it as a compliment: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XSM-73_Goose

Spiffy-looking, but needs teh HIMEOBS.

Edit: actually, it appears to be a "ground-launched long range decoy missile." :lulz:

AFK

I CALL BULLGOOSE!!!

RWHN,
someone had to do it. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Chairman Risus

Quote from: Reverend Whats His Name on July 07, 2008, 08:22:56 PM
I SANK BULLGOOSE!!!

RWHN,
someone had to do it. 
More fixt.

Risus,
Has no regrets.

Voodoo

Quote from: That One Guy on July 07, 2008, 04:15:54 PM
But I don't want to have another pointless music argument.

I will say but one thing: how the hell do you learn all these jazz songs without reading music? Ever hear of charts? Those are "reading" music, and they're the standard way to pass along the weird, complicated chords. Even the greats can't necessarily tell what that D-7(flat 9, sharp 11) chord is supposed to be without it being written down.

There. NO MAS.

agreed.

I always fake it.

M.K

Since Discordianism seems to be just a fucked up version of Zen, I'll just answer with anything that pops to my mind at the moment. After saying "penis" I'll declare that MY belief system is The True Discordianism™.
Die Scheiße ist das Kühlgebläse angeschlagen.

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: M.K on August 13, 2008, 05:38:40 PM
Since Discordianism seems to be just a fucked up version of Zen, I'll just answer with anything that pops to my mind at the moment. After saying "penis" I'll declare that MY belief system is The True Discordianism™.

aside from the entire premise of your post being wrong, good job.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

hooplala

It's probably that statement on the Wiki article describing Discordianism as "Zen for roundeyes".  I'd like to know who said that... they don't know much about Zen.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Voodoo

Quote from: Hoopla on August 13, 2008, 08:33:19 PM
It's probably that statement on the Wiki article describing Discordianism as "Zen for roundeyes".  I'd like to know who said that... they don't know much about Zen.

Or they don't know much about Discordianism.

I come to all of it from a background in Zen practice, so I agree a little and disagree a little.  Zen has very very little to do with the BIP.

LMNO

To be quite honest, the BIP is only a minor point inside Discordia.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

The BiP seems like a possible application of Discordian ideas, as does the whole "Zen for Roundeyes', that is, there are Discordians that seem to interpret discordianism in both of those models. However, the heart of Discordianism, if anything, seems to be that people can interpret it as a "How to break your BiP" or "How to Build your GSP" or "Zen for Roundeyes" or Dada Philosophy, or a Mastermind group, or just a bunch of stoned, tripping people that are mentally jerking off to how non conformist they are.

All of those models seem to exist and there appears to be a good basis for each claim... depending on which 'writings' you choose to look at and which cabals you tend to grok. THAT, I think, may be what Discordianism IS about. Mal-2's essay on mastering nonsense and sense to expose them both as frauds, Omar's eloquent poetic statement about how humans come into existence and play with their reality, ordering things and disordering things until they die... they both seem to strike at Discordianism in practice, if not Discordianism in philosophy as well.

The Dadaist and Pinealist and the BiPer all are ordering and disordering the information around them to create their own view of Discordianism and probably their own view of reality.

I think.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

hooplala

Quote from: Ratatosk on August 20, 2008, 09:12:35 PM
The BiP seems like a possible application of Discordian ideas, as does the whole "Zen for Roundeyes', that is, there are Discordians that seem to interpret discordianism in both of those models. However, the heart of Discordianism, if anything, seems to be that people can interpret it as a "How to break your BiP" or "How to Build your GSP" or "Zen for Roundeyes" or Dada Philosophy, or a Mastermind group, or just a bunch of stoned, tripping people that are mentally jerking off to how non conformist they are.

All of those models seem to exist and there appears to be a good basis for each claim... depending on which 'writings' you choose to look at and which cabals you tend to grok. THAT, I think, may be what Discordianism IS about. Mal-2's essay on mastering nonsense and sense to expose them both as frauds, Omar's eloquent poetic statement about how humans come into existence and play with their reality, ordering things and disordering things until they die... they both seem to strike at Discordianism in practice, if not Discordianism in philosophy as well.

The Dadaist and Pinealist and the BiPer all are ordering and disordering the information around them to create their own view of Discordianism and probably their own view of reality.

I think.

"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Hoopla on August 20, 2008, 09:16:33 PM
Quote from: Ratatosk on August 20, 2008, 09:12:35 PM

I think.

Is that a picture of Kim 'cheese'? ;-)
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

NWC

shortest definition being a misnomer, the most concise definition I give people that they would have a hope of listening to and maybe trying to understand without immediately calling me a terrorist or cultist(you know the Indiana mindset Iason, though it's probably slightly more progressive in Indy) would be

absurdist(or surrealist) Zen.

if I try to be any more clear than that, people get confused and either stop listening or immediately think I'm creepy, as people generally fear what they don't understand.

I've been trying to work on KYFMS lately. Someone kept asking me questions and eventually I showed them my tattoo, and he said, "ohhh, you're a .. oh I get it, one of those pagan cults", and I had to work to keep his attention long enough to slightly remedy his ignorance. Now I'm tired of people thinking I'm crazy(in a negative connotation), so I avoid religious conversation

except at work the other day when someone had said the chickens I was cutting up died for us to live(cos I'm a veggie), so I said that they died for our sins, and then with each chicken I cut up I named what sin it died for(gluttony, jealousy, sloth, last weekend). Then I mentioned that King Kong also die for our sins and had to explain myself.
PROSECUTORS WILL BE TRANSGRESSICUTED

Kai

People really don't understand Zen (Chan) Buddhism, do they?
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish