News:

PD.com: The most patriotic board in America - jointly run by an Australian, an Irishman, a filthy Dutchman, a Canadian and some guy from the West Indies.

Main Menu

Shortest Definition

Started by Iason Ouabache, June 26, 2008, 02:16:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shadowfurry23

I cheerfully describe myself as a Discordian when asked (and sometimes when not asked).  When asked "What's that?" I tend to fall back to "It's either a religion disguised as a joke or a joke disguised as a religion - no one's really sure."  If they give me a quizzical look rather than backing away slowly, I usually follow up with "Religion is a joke - but mine's actually funny."

I usually take a different tack with evangelists though - I like to tell them that Eris is True.  I especially love talking to Mormons, since they're often young and willing to listen.  Jehovah's Witnesses are typically older and less willing to listen, they just want to talk at you.  It has been noted that most people that want to talk to you about their religion rarely want to hear about yours, and when it becomes obvious that they don't want to give me equal consideration I usually ask them to push off.  I tell them if they want me to "have an open mind" they have to have one too or I'm not gonna bother - sometimes this results in amusing conversations.
This play, however, is an affirmation of life—not an attempt to bring order out of chaos nor to suggest improvements in creation, but simply a way of waking up to the very life we're living, which is so excellent once one gets one's mind and one's desires out of its way and lets it act of its own accord. - John Cage

Cramulus

Quote from: shadowfurry23 on November 26, 2008, 07:43:02 PM
  I cheerfully describe myself as a Discordian when asked (and sometimes when not asked).  When asked "What's that?" I tend to fall back to "It's either a religion disguised as a joke or a joke disguised as a religion - no one's really sure."  If they give me a quizzical look rather than backing away slowly, I usually follow up with "Religion is a joke - but mine's actually funny."

:lulz:

Cramulus

alright, I need some feedback on the following passage:

For those of you who are reading this but have no idea what this ''Discordia'' thing is, maybe I should offer some brief, half-assed explanation. Discordia "is" a religion in some sense, a philosophy in some sense, a joke in some sense, a bunch of jerks in some sense and a recipie for disaster in some sense. What these five senses have in common is Chaos. The name at the center of the hurricane is Eris, the Greek Goddess of strife and confusion. She doesn't take much seriously these days.

Discordia showed up in 1958 or 1959 (depending on which part of the Principia Discordia you're forbidden to believe). Discordians have infiltrated all parts of culture from summer blockbusters to the Planet Eris. They like Chaos, which they see as a balance between Order and Disorder. They think that society is too "serious business" right now, and are pursuing a million and one ways to DO something about it. I don't want to say too much because Discordia is very subjective. The symbols in your head will reflect off the symbols you read and give you a brand new interpretation of it, gift wrapped with your own nervous system. We're tricksters, and the person we want you to go trick is you. We have no rules except the ones that you make for yourself. This is actually true of all society, but the Pope of Discordia (read: you) can grant you permission to live that way.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

It's very good. "Recipe" is misspelled, is the only thing I see.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I keep meaning to post my housemate's definition in here:

"It's a religion based in being upsetting".
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

BADGE OF HONOR

god damn it Nigel you scared me again
The Jerk On Bike rolled his eyes and tossed the waffle back over his shoulder--before it struck the ground, a stout, disconcertingly monkey-like dog sprang into the air and snatched it, and began to masticate it--literally--for the sound it made was like a homonculus squatting on the floor muttering "masticate masticate masticate".

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Cramulus

This is really minor, but
what do you think of this revision?
be honest

was:
They think that society is too "serious business" right now, and are pursuing a million and one ways to DO something about it.

revision:

They (read: you) think that society is too "serious business" right now (right?), and are pursuing a million and one ways to DO something about it.

Telarus

I like it. The repetition of You and Right seems good. Break out a new paragraph starting with that line.
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Herbertina Merrique V

Hey, I know.

It's liek... FIVE TONS OF JAZZ!

Ha ha, I'm so much moar DizkFNORDian than you. (See, I mentioned a fnord! How's that for being enlightened?)

[insert apology then jazz]

Actually, the times someone has asked me about it, I think I've just said something about the greatest religion-disguised joke in the world (or the other way around) which appreciates confusion and chaos etc. more than all that boring harmony-seeking stuff they've seen too much in their lives. Or something like that. Usually I don't bother explaining more, but some people actually seem interested and interesting enough to be worth the huge effort of linking PD. Mostly they're not, but then that's not really my problem.

A guy once stalked my number and asked me out just because I explained Discordianism and remembered some episodes of Cow & Chicken. Dangerous business, all this explaining. I wonder what was wrong with the poor fellow.
THE MORALE WILL CONTINUE UNTIL DISCORDIANS IMPROVE

Ask me anything. Or else.

Cramulus

the last yatto

Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

DORADA

tell him I tell you tomorrow.....for ever and ever
or  invited to visit this web if he want and no more.

Manta Obscura

Quote from: Herbertina Merrique V on December 26, 2008, 11:39:56 PM
Hey, I know.

It's liek... FIVE TONS OF JAZZ!

Ha ha, I'm so much moar DizkFNORDian than you. (See, I mentioned a fnord! How's that for being enlightened?)

[insert apology then jazz]

Actually, the times someone has asked me about it, I think I've just said something about the greatest religion-disguised joke in the world (or the other way around) which appreciates confusion and chaos etc. more than all that boring harmony-seeking stuff they've seen too much in their lives. Or something like that. Usually I don't bother explaining more, but some people actually seem interested and interesting enough to be worth the huge effort of linking PD. Mostly they're not, but then that's not really my problem.

A guy once stalked my number and asked me out just because I explained Discordianism and remembered some episodes of Cow & Chicken. Dangerous business, all this explaining. I wonder what was wrong with the poor fellow.

Hi.

Good definitions. Sorry to hear about your stalker.
Everything I wish for myself, I wish for you also.

Triple Zero

Quote from: Cramulus on December 21, 2008, 05:00:58 AM
This is really minor, but
what do you think of this revision?
be honest

was:
They think that society is too "serious business" right now, and are pursuing a million and one ways to DO something about it.

revision:

They (read: you) think that society is too "serious business" right now (right?), and are pursuing a million and one ways to DO something about it.

yeah that's the only bit i have a problem with as well.

but i don't think your revision is much better either. or perhaps I'm not entirely really discordian, because right now, society seems to be made up of a shitload of disorder and both order at the same time too! and to be honest, it's still not right!!

now, sorry for jacking this thread a bit off-topic from def:discordia, but this sudden realization kinda bothers me. if we have the combination of order and disorder, but things are (obviously) still all wrong, then apparently that is not the (whole?) solution. what's it then? do we perhaps need better *balance* between order and disorder? (cain? you said something a while ago about the desire for balance being somewhat based on nothing?) or is it required to go with a heavy dose of "thinking for yourselves, schmucks" before it works? but isn't that always the case? do we still need the order/disorder thingy then? wouldn't TFYS work on its own? but is that still discordianism, then?
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.