News:

PD may suddenly accelerate to dangerous speeds.  If PD splits open, do not look directly at resulting goo.  PD is still legal in 14 states.

Main Menu

ATTN: everyone who eats in restaurants

Started by East Coast Hustle, June 26, 2008, 03:35:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cainad (dec.)

The Black Iron Bars of American White Girl's culinary tastes are actually made out of tempered steel. They are remarkably wimpy when it comes to trying food that has flavor.

I love 'em anyway :lol:

Cainad,
Not actually that much of a jerk

Dysnomia

Quote from: triple zero on July 04, 2008, 08:20:41 AM
Quote from: Dysnomia on July 04, 2008, 05:56:22 AM
Quote from: triple zero on July 03, 2008, 08:45:21 PM
Quote from: Dysnomia on July 03, 2008, 05:46:54 PM
I hate lettuce, tomatoes, onions, and pickles on my burgers so I usually just order them with the bun, sauce, meat, and cheese. 

:?

I know, I'm super lame and boring.  I eat my sandwiches the same way, without the produce.  Plus, I hate onions, tomatoes, and pickles in general.

are you allergic or do you just need to train your culinary senses somewhat?

in the second case, GET TO IT there's a WORLD of flavours awaiting you, you don't know half of it. break those culinary black iron prison bars, young lady!

I just don't like them.  Tomatoes are fine in sauces, and onions as onion rings or onion blossoms, but I don't like them in "pieces" or whole.  Don't like bell peppers either.  :p

Quote from: CainadThe Black Iron Bars of American White Girl's culinary tastes are actually made out of tempered steel. They are remarkably wimpy when it comes to trying food that has flavor.

I love 'em anyway lol

Cainad,

:lol:

*super wimpy*
It's all fun and games, till someone gets herpes.

http://cdn.smosh.com/smosh-pit/122010/mow-the-lawn.gif

Triple Zero

Quote from: Dysnomia on July 04, 2008, 08:35:40 AM
I hate lettuce, tomatoes, onions, and pickles on my burgers so I usually just order them with the bun, sauce, meat, and cheese. 

I know, I'm super lame and boring.  I eat my sandwiches the same way, without the produce.  Plus, I hate onions, tomatoes, and pickles in general.

in the second case, GET TO IT there's a WORLD of flavours awaiting you, you don't know half of it. break those culinary black iron prison bars, young lady!

I just don't like them.  Tomatoes are fine in sauces, and onions as onion rings or onion blossoms, but I don't like them in "pieces" or whole.  Don't like bell peppers either.  :p

asparagus?
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Sir Squid Diddimus

Quote from: Cainad on July 04, 2008, 08:33:37 AM
The Black Iron Bars of American White Girl's culinary tastes are actually made out of tempered steel. They are remarkably wimpy when it comes to trying food that has flavor.

Cainad,

hey now, i like my food with flavor  :sad:

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: Squiddy on July 04, 2008, 03:17:39 PM
Quote from: Cainad on July 04, 2008, 08:33:37 AM

Cainad,

hey now, i like my food with flavor  :sad:

Yeah, but you're rather extraordinary. I mean, you're the keeper of the Santa Cupcake, for crying out loud. Er, not that you would eat that...

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Reverend Asshat on July 03, 2008, 12:47:09 AM
Quote from: Nigel on July 02, 2008, 06:41:29 PM
I guess they do have a reputation to uphold. Never seen anything more amusing than reading some of the threads on the culinary boards where my ex #2 posts, watching the chefs get into a prima-donna fight.

Yes, I was MARRIED to a chef. :( The overwhelming reaction of HIS friends, when we got divorced, was "OMG I can't believe you put up with that asshole for so long!"

We're friends, now. He's totally fun to hang out with, but holy shit. Chefs are so temperamental. Also he went back to school for a degree in geography, and then managed a restaurant, and now he's regional manager of a drugstore chain. I do not understand his career path.

A chefs ass is on the line every single day they go to work. How would you like to try to perfectly please a hundred people a night all with different tastes?

What does that have to do with anything?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Dysnomia

Quote from: triple zero on July 04, 2008, 09:15:21 AM
Quote from: Dysnomia on July 04, 2008, 08:35:40 AM

asparagus?

YUM!  Artichokes are also NOM

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I mean, I've been a line cook, but it didn't make me an insufferable girlfriend.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Basically, I eat anything. Not like those canned worms from Vietnam, but pretty much anything. Not picky, not allergic to anything except very fresh eggs, salmon, and honeydew, and like to try new flavors and textures.

But I won't go to a restaurant where I have even an inkling that the staff will treat us poorly because my best friend is dangerously allergic to tree nuts and bivalves. Yes, it means that she has to ask about EVERY SINGLE DISH, and it means that sometimes she has to ask them to cobble something together from elements of different menu items. If there is a hint of exasperation or annoyance, we leave. Luckily, 90% of Portland restaurants are incredibly accommodating of diners with special dietary preferences/requirements, and those who aren't can fuck off and die.

Dysnomia

I know what you mean Nigel.  In highschool, one of the girls on x-country with me was deathly allergic to dairy products.  She was so allergic that she brought food with her everywhere with her (we went to hawaii once and she had to pack a cooler full of her special milk, and other food).  Every time she goes to a restaurant they have to use separate pans for her because if they even use a dish that has had a dairy product in it, she'll die.   :x

Adjective Noun

As a general comment, the suppressed annoyance in the average restaurant kitchen will make whoever learns to convert it into electricity a very rich person. Its hot, its sweaty, people KEEP TELLING YOU TO DO THINGS DIFFERENTLY, the serving staff keep dropping things and complaining. At the end of a long shift, the average chef can punch through sheet steel.

But unless the dishes are all pre-prepared (for a large set order, or something), it shouldnt be a huge deal where you want your sauce.

LMNO

Wait, what does food allergies have to do with asking for your sauce on the side?

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: LMNO on July 07, 2008, 06:36:53 PM
Wait, what does food allergies have to do with asking for your sauce on the side?

I think the issue at hand is asking the restaurant, and particularly the chefs/cooks, to do something other than what is very specifically laid out by the menu.

LMNO

What I got from the OP was entirely different:

In a decent restaraunt (no, Chili's doesn't count), a good amount of time is spent by the chef in designing a sauce that both compliments and elevates the dish it is paired with.  The dish is the sum of it's parts, and that is the way the food is intended to be served.

To ask for the sauce on the side is like asking Van Gogh to scrape away some of the excess paint that's built up on the canvas; sure, the overall picture won't change very much, but the subtlety is ruined.

Of course, it's fairly obvious that the majority of people posting in this thread have never had a meal where the entree wasn't over $12.99, so I can't expect most of you to understand this.

Darth Cupcake

Quote from: LMNO on July 07, 2008, 08:13:45 PM
What I got from the OP was entirely different:

In a decent restaraunt (no, Chili's doesn't count), a good amount of time is spent by the chef in designing a sauce that both compliments and elevates the dish it is paired with.  The dish is the sum of it's parts, and that is the way the food is intended to be served.

To ask for the sauce on the side is like asking Van Gogh to scrape away some of the excess paint that's built up on the canvas; sure, the overall picture won't change very much, but the subtlety is ruined.

Of course, it's fairly obvious that the majority of people posting in this thread have never had a meal where the entree wasn't over $12.99, so I can't expect most of you to understand this.

ITT LMNO sells out, stops being punk rock, turns into classist snob. :lol:

-DC
has in fact had the occasional entree that fits that description. died many foodgasm deaths from it, too. mmmmm food.
Be the trouble you want to see in the world.