News:

It's funny how the position for boot-licking is so close to the one used for curb-stomping.

Main Menu

Indecision 08 Wingnut thread

Started by Cain, June 26, 2008, 05:22:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Golden Applesauce

Quote from: Cain on October 03, 2008, 03:02:27 PM
Of course, in WWII many prominent Republicans actually conspired to stab the President in the back (the America First Committee, the German-American Bund, the Silver Shirts etc) and align themselves with Nazi Germany, so this is complete and utter rot.

Its actually really interesting, a couple of good books came out of that fun.  John Roy Carlson's Undercover: My Four Years in the Nazi Underworld of America is well worth reading.

I'd always thought that that had more to do with America just having tons of German immigrants; didn't think it had anything to do with party.
Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.

Cain

There was a lot of isolationist sentiment among the Republicans of the time, which gave a cover to the Fascist sympathizers, especially within the America First Committee, who after going underground planned to be the American Vichy government in the face of Nazi victory.  The AFC has a lot of apologists among the current paleoconservative set (see: Pat Buchanan for more).

Also, FDR was quite a power-sharer when it came to moderate Republicans, so many of those left out in the cold sought new audiences.  Pelley was English in origin, Father Coughlin was Canadian-Irish, as far as I know the only authentically German inspired effort was the German-American Bund and associated groups (the original American Nazi Party etc).  The most extreme anticommunists and most virulent American Nazis had a common foe in FDR and his "communistic" government, and in some cases that led to alliances of interest.

Cain

Oh yeah!

http://pandagon.net/index.php/site/scenes_from_a_blue_oasis_in_a_red_state/

QuoteSaw this in my neighborhood and had to take a picture of it.  The context of this is that my neighborhood is stuffed with the sort of people right wing radio instructs you to hate: Earnest college students, college professors, liberal yuppies with jobs in marketing and law, bohemians who own successful antique shops.  You know the like. It means that the overall tenor of the neighborhood, signage-wise, is "OBAMA! FUCK YEAH!" It's not subtle in any way.  I suspected, the second I saw this display, that the people responsible are trying to aggravate their neighbors. Considering that this house is in an area with heavy foot, car, and bicycle traffic and is right around the corner from the neighborhood hippie grocery store, I suspect mine is a good bet.

There's an equally big American flag that I didn't capture in the picture, so I apologize if this doesn't seem as fair and balanced as they perhaps intended the display to be.  When I first saw it, people were sitting on the porch, but I figured they'd get tired of sitting out there hoping to catch people walking by holding their noses, but apparently not, because when I got there later, they were still sitting out there eating meringue.  Unable to just snap and run, I decided to engage, and be friendly so as not to frighten them and lose access to the photo op.  On went the redneck switch.  "Hi, y'all!  Lovely day!  Mind if I take a picture of this display you got here?"

Permission was granted and I was asked who I was voting for.  I demurred, as people did in my childhood but don't much anymore.  I asked the old man who was doing all of the talking who he was voting for.

"Palin!" he said.  I thought I misheard him.

"Did you say McCain?"

"No!  Palin!  She's got more sense than the lot of them!"

I thanked him and hopped on my bike and rode off.

Hope this makes up for a lack of a post this morning.  We had to film some video for RH Reality Check, and I didn't have time.

East Coast Hustle

erm...I'm assuming that your post is a quote from another site?

or did you recently move across the pond?
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Cain

Argh, yes.

Left the quote tags off while playing with the image hosting.  Let me fix that.

East Coast Hustle

:lulz:

my first thought, upon reading that before having had any coffee, was "goddamn, McCain and Palin are even dumber than I thought if they've abandoned Michigan in favor of the midlands".

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Cain

Strangely enough, they have in a way.  Palin is very popular with the "Continuity IDS" wing of the Tory party, for no particular reason I can discern.  It could be the inexperience, or the bone-headed stupidity, or the fact she's a political loser, all three traits that particular group seem to enjoy in a political candidate.

Evidence: http://conservativehome.blogs.com/

Ctrl F and "Palin" for teh Fiery Fox users.  Check back to when she first appeared on the McCain ticket as well.

Iason Ouabache

What's the deal with McCain supporters not knowing how to spell? Is spelling words properly suddenly a 'liebral socialest plot two poisen r childern's minds'???
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

East Coast Hustle

Cain

Quote from: Iason Ouabache on October 05, 2008, 08:40:35 PM
What's the deal with McCain supporters not knowing how to spell? Is spelling words properly suddenly a 'liebral socialest plot two poisen r childern's minds'???

elitist

East Coast Hustle

Iason Ouabache

Obama is going to completely and utterly destroy democracy as we know it!!!!

http://wizbangblog.com/content/2008/10/04/a-few-thoughts.php

Quote3. I am reading emails from readers and fellow bloggers who are worried that this might be our last free election if Obama is elected. It sounds a little extreme and over the top, but when I read their reasons for feeling that way it makes too much sense. Between the rampant voter fraud being perpetrated by liberals at ACORN and elsewhere across the country, the Democrats' refusal to even pass a law to require people show ID to vote, and the liberal media's absolute non-interest in doing much to inform the public about the situation, I am beginning to see the reason for their concern. If Dems get their way and are able to effectively shut down talk radio and other conservative outlets by reviving the Fairness Doctrine, our free speech will be stifled so the Obamagovernment will be able to do just about anything they want to control our elections and the public might not even know about it. Doubt it will happen? With Obama in the White House, the Dems controlling Cnogress and Obama's newly shaped Supreme Court seated, exactly what would there be to stop it? The leftwing media? I hate to sound like an alarmist, but there is as much evidence to point to such an outcome as there is that my SUV is going to cause the extinction of the polar bear.
I resisted the temptation to correct any of the spelling errors.
    \

Cain

Cain

Quote from: Iason Ouabache on October 06, 2008, 05:26:57 AM
Obama is going to completely and utterly destroy democracy as we know it!!!!

http://wizbangblog.com/content/2008/10/04/a-few-thoughts.php

Quote3. I am reading emails from readers and fellow bloggers who are worried that this might be our last free election if Obama is elected. It sounds a little extreme and over the top, but when I read their reasons for feeling that way it makes too much sense. Between the rampant voter fraud being perpetrated by liberals at ACORN and elsewhere across the country, the Democrats' refusal to even pass a law to require people show ID to vote, and the liberal media's absolute non-interest in doing much to inform the public about the situation, I am beginning to see the reason for their concern. If Dems get their way and are able to effectively shut down talk radio and other conservative outlets by reviving the Fairness Doctrine, our free speech will be stifled so the Obamagovernment will be able to do just about anything they want to control our elections and the public might not even know about it. Doubt it will happen? With Obama in the White House, the Dems controlling Cnogress and Obama's newly shaped Supreme Court seated, exactly what would there be to stop it? The leftwing media? I hate to sound like an alarmist, but there is as much evidence to point to such an outcome as there is that my SUV is going to cause the extinction of the polar bear.
I resisted the temptation to correct any of the spelling errors.

What a bunch of whining crybabies.

This is about the reintroduction of the fairness doctrine on talk radio.

Now, you can make some arguments for or against the doctrine on various grounds, but it is constitutionally sanctioned and is meant to make sure that all sides of an issue are presented.  In other words, blowhards like Savage and Limbaugh will actually get challenged, perhaps even not just by milquetoasts like Colmes or Joe Klein.

OH TEH NOES, PEOPLE WILL CHALLENGE MY MONOLOGUES!

Iason Ouabache

\