News:

"At the teaparties they only dunked bags into cups of water...because they didn't want to break the law. And that just about sums up America's revolutionary spirit."

Main Menu

prisonGASM or HOLY SHIT LOOK AT THIS MOTHERFUCKING PRISON

Started by the last yatto, August 02, 2009, 08:56:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the last yatto

Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

the last yatto

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on June 18, 2008, 06:54:11 PM
BIP is in 2 versions now, do we really need a 3rd? 

Quote from: Cain on December 11, 2008, 06:18:49 PM
Quoth Spagulus:
This is a continuation of the Black Iron Prison v3 discussion which started in the fucking wikipedia thread.

:pax:
Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

the last yatto

Quote from: Ratatosk on June 19, 2008, 04:29:23 AM
Quote from: Golden Applesauce on June 19, 2008, 04:24:37 AM
I like to think of the BIP as a little cell in a big prison.  At some point you can realize that you're free to just open the door and leave your cell, kick out the warden, and then rename the penitentiary whatever the fuck you want to, and rule over your own little kingdom.  You're still technically in a jail, only it's your jail, and it had better listen to whatever you have to say or there will be consequences.  After that, the problem is more with interior decorating - you're free to live in whatever you want. (or not, if you like the idea of eternal oblivion.)

Be Your Own Warden

the last yatto

the last yatto

Quote from: Cramulus on February 12, 2008, 11:25:36 PM
What do you mean, who we "are"?
Everything changes who you "are".

We're all just a pile of memes anyway - memes precariously balanced and glued together in a way which seems like a personality.

The Black Iron Prison is just another meme - it's a meme which encourages you to look at the shadow of that pile and make some choices about it. It's a good meme to keep around. Hopefully it'll help you act differently than the guy you were yesterday. Does that change who you *are*?

the last yatto

Quote from: Enki v. 2.0 on February 25, 2009, 03:12:40 PM
So, as a child, you are more or less indoctrinated into culture. Before you have said your first words, you have already been imprinted with certain functions in more or less the way that is standard across the culture. By the time you reach puberty, you are expected to more or less have a default install -- this is the function of schools and of family units, generally, as well as one of the functions of television and other audiovisual media. Part of this cultural imprinting is highly pragmatic (in the colloquial sense): it is far easier to interact with a large network of nearly-identical systems than to interact with a large network of highly disparate systems, and so it is a benefit to both maintenance crews (administration types, arguably, and probably law enforcement too) and to anyone who needs to interact with a very large swath of strangers (advertisers, salespeople, marketing people, news media, entertainment media, &c.) since you can assume that most of the time the software will be nearly exactly the same -- people are trained to do little more than changing the cognitive equivalent of their desktop wallpapers and homepages, and they rarely even write their own files, instead being comfortable with downloading other people's image macros and saving archives of internet chain letters.

But, little do most people know that their cultural OS is in fact open source. They have been trained to stay away from the text editor and compiler, and they have been trained to deny that they can program, although they certainly know that they are written in the language of dream logic.

You know the language you are written in. You know how to modify your existing programs. Why don't you fix a bug or two, write a game or a utility here and there? Script some common actions, and change your API when it will benefit you.

Before you know it, you are no longer stock. Sure, you look the same from the outside -- the interface is transparent, so you seem to be using the same protocols. But you've been tuned up -- optimized under the hood, with hidden functions that your friends don't know about and fixes for the common exploits that nobody has released patches for despite the fact that the script kiddies have been using them to send you popup spam since the advent of television.

the last yatto

Quote from: fictionpuss on August 01, 2009, 10:23:36 PM
Quote from: Havok on August 01, 2009, 06:34:25 AM
Nopants the Monk explains Destiny:

One day, a young man set out to understand the mystery of destiny. He went to visit many wise men, but none of them could answer his questions. So it continued, until the day he visited the Discordian monk Nopants.

"Master," the young man said, "Can you tell me the mysteries of destiny?"

Nopants smiled. "Destiny, you say?" The elderly monk stood up and brushed the dirt from his knees. He pointed up, at one of the many leaves that hung above his head. "What is this leaf's destiny?"

The young man looked at it. It was a broad, strong leaf, vibrantly green with life. He thought for a few moments, before saying: "To provide food for the tree that bears it, and to shade any who might come under it."

Nopants nodded approvingly. Reaching up, he plucked the leaf and twirled it in his fingers. Then suddenly, to the young man's horror, Nopants dropped his pants, reached around, and began to wipe his ass with the leaf vigorously. The man could only watch in ever-growing shock as the monk continued to desecrate the beautiful leaf, using it as he would a normal piece of toilet paper. When he was finished, Nopants tossed the leaf to the ground with an irreverent flick of his wrist.

"You were right," Nopants said, "That leaf's destiny was to live quietly and peacefully." He pointed down at the leaf. "But what good has it's destiny done it? Look at it now. It lies crumpled and broken on the ground, covered in someone else's shit. Such is the way of the world."

And the young man was enlightened.

Somehow you strayed and lost your way, and now there'll be no time to play, no time for joy, no time for friends - not even time to make amends. You are too naïve if you do believe life is innocent laughter and fun.

Cramulus