News:

Endorsement: "I could go so far as to say they simply use Discordianism as a mechanism for causing havoc, and an excuse for mischief."

Main Menu

switchGASM

Started by Ari, July 01, 2008, 01:46:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I agree that there are ways to do this that would be funny, I just think about that poor fruit stand guy. It's not like that's a mindfuck; it's COMPLETELY OBVIOUS that some punk moved it to be funny, making it automatically not funny. Things are only a mindfuck if there is an element of surprise or confusion or something that makes you think.

Extremely subtle, confusing changes; funny. Extremely large, confusing changes; possibly funny, if done with a high level of forethought. I like to plant products in people's houses, and do shit like replace their half-used jug of milk with a half-used jug of different milk, or put a handful of mayonnaise packets in their butter compartment, just because it's subtle enough to make them question their own realities. Adding magazines to their bedside table or stuffing a pair of socks under the blanket at the foot of the bed, or adding a pair of shoes in their size to their closet, are also good. You can choose things which really DO fuck with people's MINDS, making it a MINDfuck and not just an irritating obvious prank.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cramulus

:lulz:
I love those, Nigel!

mixchd

I like the little things Amelie did when she entered "the jerk produce stand guy's" apartment and mixed up door knobs and shoes and the time on the clocks and such (^_^)

Time.... this intangible field we live within.  This thing with no face, but that of moving hands and shuffling numbers.  We don't own it, it owns us.  We're like it's pets, like hamsters in a hamster wheel, running... running... running... The only rest we get is sleep, but then that is interrupted too... by alarms... on clocks... that tell TIME!
=====Koan==============================================================
A CUP OF TEA
Nan-in, a Japanese master during the Meiji era (1868-1912), received a university professor who came to inquire about Zen.
Nan-in served tea. He poured his visitor's cup full, and then kept on pouring.
The professor watched the overflow until he no longer could restrain himself. "It is overfull. No more will go in!"
"Like this cup," Nan-in said, "you are full of your own opinions and speculations. How can I show you Zen unless you first empty your cup?"

Ari

Interesting point Nigel.
Back to the supermarket example: Instead of just relocating things in the supermarket I should start and focus on trying to switch things in the consumer's carts and baskets; or at least add some odd items which will pop up when they go pay. Higher riskfactor but more bang for the buck. ;)
Switching items 'they' have previously selected and put in a certain spot will do more than just reassemble their environment. However, I still think that environmental switchGASM achieves something: even though it might not be a classic MF it will certainly break up some robotic patterns, if only for a few seconds.
パンクビッチ

Voodoo

My environmental ideas are like what I did in the lower level of our courthouse where the attorney general's custody and child support cases are held.  I put a wet paint sign on ALL the benches outside the courtroom.  I went down that day and found about 50 people all standing up while the old stained wood benches were completely empty.

BTW, I almost got caught doing that by the county judge. 

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Having spent 13 years of my life as a begrudging retail wage slave, it is important to me, personally, not to do stuff that makes their workdays significantly harder for them.

However, things that fuck with people a'la The Midget are A-OK and  :lulz:, IMO. Like Wet Paint signs where there is no paint.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Golden Applesauce

Some people in our dorm were going to go around and put 'Out of Order' signs on random things like trash cans and benches on April 1st. Except only one other person did it with me.

Mine went on a statue of Mary.
Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.

nostalgicBadger

I miss logging people. I've had a serious craving to log somebody, but there's nobody around whose really good to log.
meh.

Reginald Ret

Heh placing out of order signs in those places is a pretty good one, ill steal that idea.
What do you mean with logging Badger? is it:

As a kid i used to entertain myself by unlocking and moving bikes with these type of locks

about 10-15 metres and locking them again. I haven't seen any of those locks in ages...

Its kinda hard to come up with ideas for things to switch or move that cause people to think without being vandalism or bloody expensive.
hmmm make your own patterns with rocks or bottlecaps, make stacks of bottlecaps on a sidewalk at a regular interval or something like that.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Badger, you seem as if you would be a good larding partner, because you enjoy that sort of thing. I haven't been larding for a long time!

Cramulus

Nigel, I grabbed your awesome comments (above) and posted them to the PD blog.

http://www.principiadiscordia.com/blog/cramulus/nigel-on-the-switching-prank/

Offtopic: let me know if you want the comments in your 23ae post moderated.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Hey, thank you! :D

As for the comments, I can't make sense of them... might as well leave them alone. Emmanuel Teijeiro is insane, I take it? At first I thought he was being pineal, but on further reading he appears to be completely off his rocker.

Cramulus

he literally spams every single post with this mike chapman where's my money garbage.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

That's an interesting schtick. I wonder what his reasoning is for that? I'm sure it's terrible reasoning, but I'm curious anyway.

nostalgicBadger

Quote from: Nigel on July 18, 2008, 07:05:01 PM
Badger, you seem as if you would be a good larding partner, because you enjoy that sort of thing. I haven't been larding for a long time!

I've never really larded somebody. Is it the same idea as logging, I guess, but with.. what, a bag of lard?

And yeah, I really enjoy that sort of thing. The resulting confusion is pure lulz.
meh.