News:

Bigotry is abound, apprently, within these boards.  There is a level of supposed tolerance I will have no part of.  Obviously, it seems to be well-embraced here.  I have finally found something more fucked up than what I'm used to.  Congrats. - Ruby

Main Menu

"The Number 23"

Started by cheeseball, July 02, 2008, 07:21:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cheeseball

I just saw that there is a movie called, "The Number 23."  The description didn't really say much except about the repetition of the number and something about paranoia.  Has anyone seen it?  Post up a review?

Cramulus

Quote from: Professor Cramulus on December 24, 2007, 09:16:17 PM
I finally saw the number 23. I fell asleep for about about 40 minutes somewhere in the middle. Judging from what the other people in the room said, I don't think it affected the movie for me.

Dysfunctional Cunt

It is one of the most annoying movies I have ever seen.  If you do not pay attention you get lost and then in the end you're like fuck, I could have watched the last 30 minutes and that would have been interesting cause they just drug out for 2 hours 30 minutes of ok.

LMNO

hooplala

"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Payne

Fuck Jim Carrey right in his puckered starfish.

Granted, this is not a review of the movie, it's more of an incitement to anal raep. So it goes.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

It was about on par with "The Butterfly Effect".
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cain

Quote from: Nigel on July 02, 2008, 09:47:29 PM
It was about on par with "The Butterfly Effect" Police Academy 7

Fixed.

BADGE OF HONOR

Quote from: Payne on July 02, 2008, 08:17:39 PM
Fuck Jim Carrey right in his puckered starfish.

Granted, this is not a review of the movie, it's more of an incitement to anal raep. So it goes.

TITCM
The Jerk On Bike rolled his eyes and tossed the waffle back over his shoulder--before it struck the ground, a stout, disconcertingly monkey-like dog sprang into the air and snatched it, and began to masticate it--literally--for the sound it made was like a homonculus squatting on the floor muttering "masticate masticate masticate".

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on July 02, 2008, 10:07:25 PM
Quote from: Nigel on July 02, 2008, 09:47:29 PM
It was about on par with "The Butterfly Effect" Police Academy 7

Fixed.

Wow, you're giving it a lot more credit than I did...  :lulz:

Of course, rarely have I hated a movie more than I hated "The Butterfly Effect". I don't think Pauly Shore could have done worse.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Thurnez Isa

Ive always like Virginia Madsen ever since Candyman

Personally I don't think its as bad as people here say
quick review first act is pretty good
second act little poor
third act kind of flaccid
I actually think the ending kind of works, and most peoples objections and I think its more the climax that people have a problem with
It is slow moving (which is actually not a problem with me, actually i prefer movies that slow moving)
I think the major problem lies although the number is causing all these problems but for some reason the problems themselfs seems semi-interesting, and i think it's one of those scripts that would have made a better movie if done outside of the movie studio
Like the De Vinci Code (far worse movie by the way) it's at it best when everything is coded but dull when the plot comes into play

but all in all i didn't hate myself for watching but wouldn't watch it again
if i had to rate it out of 5 i would probably give it a 2 or 3 depending on my mood at the time

then again according to many dates I have horrible tastes in movies
:sad:

Through me the way to the city of woe, Through me the way to everlasting pain, Through me the way among the lost.
Justice moved my maker on high.
Divine power made me, Wisdom supreme, and Primal love.
Before me nothing was but things eternal, and eternal I endure.
Abandon all hope, you who enter here.

Dante

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

It wants to be "The Machinist" which isn't an excellent film, but decent.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Xooxe

I can't actually remember much of what happened in The Machinist but I remember disliking it as much as both The Number 23 and The Butterfly Effect.

Another weak example of 'head-fuck' in modern cinema is Stay. Maybe I would have hated it less if I hadn't have seen Jacob's Ladder or anything by Lynch.

It's all become one big clusterfuck of similar plot twists. "Oh dear, I seem to have been dead all along", or "so, if we're two people then which one of us is me if we exist anyway?" and plenty of variations along those lines.

Besides all that, though, I vaguely remember The Number 23 actually doing the number a bit of justice. Hazy memory of it. I'd have to watch it again to say.

PD needs a thread for films in general or else I'll suddenly start asking questions like, why did The Truman Show, Dark City and The Matrix all come out in the space of two years?

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Quote from: Xooxe on July 03, 2008, 06:55:33 PM
I can't actually remember much of what happened in The Machinist but I remember disliking it as much as both The Number 23 and The Butterfly Effect.

The plot was pretty much on the same level, maybe a bit better, but I thought the cinematography in The Machinist was better. Also Christian Bale actually starved his ass to get to unhealthy levels of skinny, which helped sell the insanity.

It helps to not be completely sober when watching either film though - they're not spectacular films or anything.

The Butterfly Effect was much worse than The Number 23 or The Machinist IMO.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Cain

Police Academy 7 was worse than all of them.  Put together.