News:

i mean, pardon my english but this, the life i'm living is ww1 trench warfare.

Main Menu

"The Number 23"

Started by cheeseball, July 02, 2008, 07:21:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trippinprincezz13

Quote from: Nigel on July 14, 2008, 05:58:03 AM
Quote from: Xooxe on July 13, 2008, 01:50:18 AM
Quote from: trippinprincezz13 on July 09, 2008, 06:34:18 PM
Quote from: Xooxe on July 03, 2008, 06:55:33 PM

It's all become one big clusterfuck of similar plot twists. "Oh dear, I seem to have been dead all along", or "so, if we're two people then which one of us is me if we exist anyway?" and plenty of variations along those lines.

Precisely why I hate the majority of the movies coming out these days.  They take the style of plot twist that worked good in Fight Club and maybe a few other earlier movies (I'm sure there may be others but I can't think off the top of my head) and have just beat it to death. 

The plot twist at the end of Fight Club was blatantly inspired by Persona which was made back in 1966 I think.

The plot twist at the end of Fight Club was blatantly inspired by every other suspense movie ever made.

"No, Edward. You are Tyler Durden"
And then Edward was a zombie.

The difference in Fight Club is that it wasn't obvious 1/4 through the movie.

Yea, I figured Fight Club may not have been the first, but it was the first I saw with that type of ending and more importantly, as Nigel said it wasn't blatantly obvious. Regardless, the tons of other movies using that same plot twist have completely killed it, by just being so completely stupid and obvious about it.
There's no sun shine coming through her ass, if you are sure of your penis.

Paranoia is a disease unto itself, and may I add, the person standing next to you, may not be who they appear to be, so take precaution.

If there is no order in your sexual life it may be difficult to stay with a whole skin.

Voodoo

e.g., "a beautiful mind"  I saw a preview and told my wife i bet Ed Harris' character isn't real.

LMNO

Quote from: Xooxe on July 13, 2008, 01:50:18 AM
Quote from: trippinprincezz13 on July 09, 2008, 06:34:18 PM
Quote from: Xooxe on July 03, 2008, 06:55:33 PM

It's all become one big clusterfuck of similar plot twists. "Oh dear, I seem to have been dead all along", or "so, if we're two people then which one of us is me if we exist anyway?" and plenty of variations along those lines.

Precisely why I hate the majority of the movies coming out these days.  They take the style of plot twist that worked good in Fight Club and maybe a few other earlier movies (I'm sure there may be others but I can't think off the top of my head) and have just beat it to death. 

The plot twist at the end of Fight Club was blatantly inspired by the book Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk.

Fixed that for you.

Xooxe

Alright then. It seems blatant to me that Fight Club by Palahniuk was partially inspired by Persona. Fight Club is virtually the same story anyway as far as book to film conversions go.

LMNO

I have to disagree; that would be like saying The Good The Bad and The Ugly is the same as The Magnificent Seven because they're both westerns.

While the theme of personal duality is common to both, the purposes of the split, and the resuting actions are wildly different, not the least being the method of resolving the split.

hooplala

Fight Club is a blatant rip off of Beautiful Losers, by Leonard Cohen... right down to the soap.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

LMNO

"Beautiful Losers" was a blatant rip off of "St Alfonso's Pancake Breakfast" by Zappa.

hooplala

"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman