News:

Urgh, this is what I hate about PD.com, it is the only site in existence where a perfectly good spam thread can be misused for high quality discussions.  I hate you all.

Main Menu

BBay's Impression on God (last theological rant ever from me)

Started by BootyBay, July 06, 2008, 11:21:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BootyBay

You cannot disprove God with science. You cannot disprove science with God.

You cannot worship science like it's God. You cannot study God like it's science.

And, when your religion becomes science, you cannot make your science God (i.e. Nature operates just fine without divine intervention AND God is real to some, most even, no matter what logical arguments you use to disprove Bible verses written 2000 years ago).

If you can separate your God from your science, you can see that both can be "true" (and you have to know what that means).
There are two kinds of people in this world.. Winners and losers.. I think we know which kind you are.

Requia ☣

Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

BootyBay

Creationism vs. Darwinism.  They're both too into their own philosophy and fail to see that they too might be wrong.
There are two kinds of people in this world.. Winners and losers.. I think we know which kind you are.

LMNO

Please note that Darwin does not seek to disprove God's existence, and please note that Evolution says nothing about God.

Evolution may run counter to some creation stories, but that usually happens when science runs into religion.

The fact that some militant atheists use evolution stems from the initial attack by Dogmatic Xtians against Evolution.

So, I repeat: SCIENCE HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE EXISTENCE OR NON-EXISTENCE OF GOD.

BootyBay

Quote from: LMNO on July 09, 2008, 03:54:31 PM
Please note that Darwin does not seek to disprove God's existence, and please note that Evolution says nothing about God.

Evolution may run counter to some creation stories, but that usually happens when science runs into religion.

The fact that some militant atheists use evolution stems from the initial attack by Dogmatic Xtians against Evolution.

So, I repeat: SCIENCE HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE EXISTENCE OR NON-EXISTENCE OF GOD.

Ty LMNO.  You agree with the original post in its entirety (the PEOPLE who "believe" in their truth are wrong; the science/faith are ideas more than absolute reality).  Maybe I should put special punctuation in the OP so that people who do understand these things also understand I'm saying the same thing.  My bad! (but now I know.. and "knowing is half the battle."  ughhhhhh)

Voodoo

Thurnez Isa

wait one minute booty are you saying science is an "Ideal"?
Through me the way to the city of woe, Through me the way to everlasting pain, Through me the way among the lost.
Justice moved my maker on high.
Divine power made me, Wisdom supreme, and Primal love.
Before me nothing was but things eternal, and eternal I endure.
Abandon all hope, you who enter here.

Dante

BootyBay

Quote from: Thurnez Isa on July 10, 2008, 01:09:19 AM
wait one minute booty are you saying science is an "Ideal"?

Yes.  Sort of.  Believing in what is "real" or "generally true" is sometimes scientific (in this case, taking science out of religion - that is, not deconstructing the Bible with bullet points), and is therefore more likely to be "right" in the sense that is in Nature (outside of you), and in that sense, is most certainly an ideal (in that you may believe it is a noble thing to do).

The alternative is believing what you want, which is uh...yeah.

BootyBay

Ok, this comment made no sense (I confused the first clause and the second).

Let me rephrase:  Science is an ideal because we believe (that is a key thing - you cannot just have no beliefs.  Try it and see what happens) truth is superior to lies.  Science systematically erodes the inconsistencies within theories (in the case I made, it is used to destroy religion - and thus, science has kind of become a religion because we believe it is the "best"), and, therefore, smooths them out over time (hopefully).  We can do better; just not yet (or anytime soon, I'm guessing).  So, in that sense, yes, scientific thinking is idealistic.

Thurnez Isa

science is more a way of think
trying to explain things through observations, experiments, ect.
thats all it is
your personal believes should have nothing to do with it
most scientists have had more their theories torn to pieces when someone shows the evidence does not hold then have found models that work

my only real problem with modern science is that most scientists are very poor at explaining things to the general public
and mahy believe that being correct or having the correct caculations or evidence will actually win the public to your side (ie the supposed Darwinism debate)
being correct has nothing to do with winning a debate when its in the public demain
some of it is cause people don't have the time to do all the research for themself, but mostely cause people don't care... they want the world to be molded into their own belief system
and sometimes its just not in their best interests... and acting rationaly is going against humanities natural instinct
Through me the way to the city of woe, Through me the way to everlasting pain, Through me the way among the lost.

Dante

Thurnez Isa

the thing is when religion is looked at rationally most of then don't hold any water
expecially if you look at it in a historical context
rationally trying to explain what ACTUALLY makes the validity of most religious believes very muddy

Dante

Thurnez Isa

Quote from: BootyBay on July 10, 2008, 01:47:24 AM

Let me rephrase:  Science is an ideal because we believe truth is superior to lies.

i could understand this arguement in terms of "idealism"

Dante

Triple Zero

Quote from: BootyBay on July 06, 2008, 11:21:26 PMYou cannot disprove God with science.

possibly.

QuoteYou cannot disprove science with God.

yes you can.

QuoteYou cannot worship science like it's God.

yes you can.

QuoteYou cannot study God like it's science.

yes you can.

QuoteAnd, when your religion becomes science, you cannot make your science God (i.e. Nature operates just fine without divine intervention AND God is real to some, most even, no matter what logical arguments you use to disprove Bible verses written 2000 years ago).

If you can separate your God from your science, you can see that both can be "true" (and you have to know what that means).

what
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

LMNO

Science is a process.  It is a method.  It is a verb.

Booty, stop treating it like a noun.

Chelagoras The Boulder

"It isn't who you know, it's who you know, if you know what I mean.  And I think you do."