News:

PD.com: Like a fraternity of drunken clowns, hopped up on goofballs, beating one-another to a bloody pulp with bricks; the maniacal laughter increases exponentially as someone runs off to get a cinder-block.

Main Menu

what the fuck is up with the taboo on 'swear words'

Started by Slarti, March 19, 2004, 01:38:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chaosgraves:agentoferis

It means haveing rocks thrown at me here ... what does it mean there?!?!?
Constitution?!?!? Isn't that a D&D stat.

Den Sorte Dragen

Quote from: chaosgraves:agentoferisIt means haveing rocks thrown at me here ... what does it mean there?!?!?

being under the influence of drugs  :roll:
negative....negative.....negative................;type O negative................negative............;negative

MedeoPlusPlus

Quote from: maddcat0
Now here's a question: How do u guys feel about swearing around children?  How do u feel about kids who swear?

I say, let the tykes cuss. When have restrictions on natural urges ever done more good than harm? It's never worked for religion, it's never worked for sexuality, it doesn't work for drug consumption (Prohibition in the 20s and this retarded "War on Drugs" have shown that), and it won't work for foul language, either. If, on the other hand, we let children say whatever they want from day one (as long as it's not inherently offensive, e.g. racial slurs) then it won't be such a "problem" later on- instead of something edgy and mysified that only the grown-ups get to use, it becomes something completely natural, and certainly nothing to get all in a huff about.
1. e4             e5
2. Bc4           Bc5
3. Qf3           Ne7
4. Qxf7++

Quote from: Den Sorte Dragen
Quote from: chaosgraves:agentoferisIt means haveing rocks thrown at me here ... what does it mean there?!?!?

really?!?!?

since Dylan wrote a song about that I guess I was wrong.

Den Sorte Dragen

Quote from: chaosgraves:agentoferis
Quote from: Den Sorte Dragen

really?!?!?

since Dylan wrote a song about that I guess I was wrong.

i hope you get stoned
negative....negative.....negative................;type O negative................negative............;negative

neither way... was glassed once or twice though.

maddcat0

Yes, all of our "swear" words will more than likely lose their impact as time goes on. But do not fear, for I'm sure we'll have new swear words by then to replace them. :) Did you know that the word pants used to be a swear word? The "proper" term was waist-overalls. :lol: heh, now pants is about the only word we use--I'd love to get someone from those olden days and take them clothes shopping in a modern department store  >:D ....
"Hot. Fresh. Just for you."--McDonald's food sticker appropriately placed on my name tag 8)

"oven dogs"=yummy :D

Den Sorte Dragen

Quote from: maddcat0Yes, all of our "swear" words will more than likely lose their impact as time goes on. But do not fear, for I'm sure we'll have new swear words by then to replace them. :) Did you know that the word pants used to be a swear word? The "proper" term was waist-overalls. :lol: heh, now pants is about the only word we use--I'd love to get someone from those olden days and take them clothes shopping in a modern department store  >:D ....

we should start using terms like "go and satisfy yourself sexualy!" or "forcefully insert this into your anus"

Quote from: Den Sorte Dragen"forcefully insert this into your anus"
have you been "playing again?!?!?

Den Sorte Dragen

Quote from: chaosgraves:agentoferis
Quote from: Den Sorte Dragen"forcefully insert this into your anus"
have you been "playing again?!?!?

i never play those things alone (its much more comforting if you have someone to go with you to the doctor when things got stuck)

Iron Sulfide

Quote from: SssBella, Oracle of Doom
Quote from: Out of the Wasteland
Quote from: ZombieĀ¬?Word taboo is hilarious.
Even people who dislike word taboo sometimes shudder at the word "Nigger", and many others depending on the person.

Yep.  I do.  I also get a little angry, having been called "spic" and "wetback" a time or two.

Try it on the receiving end, bro.
Actually, racial slurs piss me off royally.

S'one of the big reasons I left the ex......too many years of
listening to him sit there belittling people he didn't even know
on the basis of something as superficial as the color someone's skin
of the shape of their eyes.

but it's okay when you do it in jest, when the people around you realize
that your use of such words is in mock of people who are actually
racist morons. kinda like when we abase women, especially blondes.

it's obvious we do it in jest, so it's alright that i'm calling you a meshuggena kike...or a cripple...or whatever...

on a side note, related to slurs...i don't think they're all that bad...i mean,
if i were to loose the use of, say, one or both of my legs, for example,
i think i'd use it in jokes all the time....

"i'm gonna cripple this sandwich, yo!" or i'm a make you *MY* gimp,. boy!"

shit like that
Ya' stupid Yank.

illusion

I don't wanna burst your bubble St*Bastard.
But it's never okay with me when men abase women.
Even if it's "all in fun".

gnimbley

Richard Pryor used to use the word "nigger" in his act all the time. Then one day he realized that he was as guilty of perpetuating the sterotype of black people as inferior creatures as the white racist, so he stopped. To quote from his official biography: "His visit to Kenya in 1979 was life-changing and resulted in a condemnation of the word nigger. His abandonment of the word in his stage performances attracted death threats, hate mail and attacks on his home from some deranged former fans. But he stuck to his beliefs, never losing any of his funny." It is too bad that he suffers from multiple sclerosis and isn't performing anymore.

Richard would tell you that words hurt and you should think before you use them. They are loaded weapons. Not that I would tell you to be politically correct; I'll leave that for those who are our betters. But sometimes words are "taboo" for good reason and sometimes not.

Showing people respect is never taboo.

Guido Finucci

Quote from: gnimbleyShowing people respect is never taboo.

You get a Woo! Yay! from me on that one.

Colonel Failure

Quote from: Guido Finucci
Quote from: gnimbleyShowing people respect is never taboo.

You get a Woo! Yay! from me on that one.

Damn straight.
All I knew, all I believed
Are crumbling images
No longer comforting me.
Scramble to reach higher ground,
Order and sanity,
Something to comfort me.

I take what is mine, and hold what is mine,
Suffocate what is mine, and bury what's mine.
Soon the water will come
And claim what is mine.
I must leave it behind,
And climb to a new place now.

This ground is not the rock I thought it to be.

Tool, Flood

----------------
Do you believe
In the lies, the lies, the lies that shape your world?
Do you believe
In your own, your own, fictitious immortality?

The world won't end while you walk the earth
And when you realize that your life don't matter
You'll turn to something to help you forget
That you're only young once, old forever

And we become what we hate
(Don't think of us)

-Screeching Weasel, What We Hate[/size][/color]