News:

It's like that horrible screech you get when the microphone is positioned too close to a speaker, only with cops.

Main Menu

11 in The Shining

Started by hooplala, July 16, 2008, 03:48:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AFK

Quote from: LMNO on July 17, 2008, 01:55:26 PM
White genocidal guilt.

I did find it amusing in Poltergiest though, that a dead Indian would spend his time moving a chair back and forth in some suburban kitchen.

Seriously, why doesn't he just pick it up and bludgeon them all to death? 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Voodoo

Quote from: Reverend Whats His Name on July 17, 2008, 02:07:58 PM
Quote from: LMNO on July 17, 2008, 01:55:26 PM
White genocidal guilt.

I did find it amusing in Poltergiest though, that a dead Indian would spend his time moving a chair back and forth in some suburban kitchen.

Seriously, why doesn't he just pick it up and bludgeon them all to death? 

Because that would have been a short film.

Cramulus

in case you haven't seen it,

Here's a trailer of the Shining if it was a Feel Good movie:

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=e8CwuOIimYI

hooplala

Quote from: Professor Cramulus on July 17, 2008, 04:42:39 PM
in case you haven't seen it,

Here's a trailer the Shining if it was a Feel Good movie:

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=e8CwuOIimYI

I love that clip.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Cain

Quote from: Hoopla on July 17, 2008, 01:28:43 PM
I thought you quit?

There ARE a lot of native american artifacts in the background of the film, so there could be something to that... I would imagine Kubrick had a lot of things on his mind...

Although I am thoroughly SICK of the "indian burial ground" concept in fiction... the population of north america doesn't seem to find native americans intimidating or powerful in any way, except in the creation of a SCARY burial ground, which I think is extremely odd.

I took a break.

And yes, the use of Native iconography in the background is pretty hard to miss.  Not to mention at times his wife looks pretty Native American as well (esp. her hairstyle later in the film).  The use of the symbol of a maze, and certain other things suggest (he doesn't want his wife to see his work) suggest a level of duplicity that is reminiscint of early dealings with the Native American tribes too.

hooplala

I hadn't thought about that in regards to Wendy before... that's interesting.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Voodoo

I once printed out a stack of pages that all repeated "all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy" and left it out for my mom to find.

Iason Ouabache

You are all wrong.  The Shining is obviously about over-commercialization and the horrors of fast food.

http://biggiebat.ytmnd.com/
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Doktor Howl

Quote from: The Lord and Lady Omnibus Fuck on July 16, 2008, 08:21:00 PM
Eleven is my favorite number.

It is.

The number 11 is on The Wall, on 4th Avenue in South Filth, for no apparent reason, amongst the images of ghostly musicians and equally an ghostly young lady waiting at a window for her prince that will never come.

Nigel threw a joygasm over it.
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on September 29, 2010, 06:32:02 PM
Quote from: The Lord and Lady Omnibus Fuck on July 16, 2008, 08:21:00 PM
Eleven is my favorite number.

It is.

The number 11 is on The Wall, on 4th Avenue in South Filth, for no apparent reason, amongst the images of ghostly musicians and equally an ghostly young lady waiting at a window for her prince that will never come.

Nigel threw a joygasm over it.

Oh yes, yes yes yes indeed! :)
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."