News:

if the thee off of you are revel in the fact you ds a discordant suck it's dick and praise it's agenda? guess what bit-chit's not. hat I in fact . do you really think it'd theshare about shit, hen you should indeed tare-take if the frontage that you're into. do you really think it's the hardcore shite of the left thy t? you're little f/cking girls parackind abbot in tituts. FUCK YOU. you're latecomers, and you 're folks who don't f/cking get it. plez challenge me.

Main Menu

11 in The Shining

Started by hooplala, July 16, 2008, 03:48:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hooplala

"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Cainad (dec.)

I totally called this. The numerological significance of 11, I mean.

http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php?topic=13846.msg444632#msg444632

QuoteConcerning the Number Eleven
*A Numerological Principle*

*Wherefore, if there are exactly eleven people present at a party, it shall be nigh impossible to divide the cake into eleven pieces, making it necessary to acquire more cakes of the same size to make eleven, or some multiple thereof.
    * Wherefore, be it known that eleven is therefore an impractical and awkward number to use in any situation
    * Wherefore, any person interested in promoting Holy Discord should attempt to apply the number eleven as often as possible, for obvious reasons.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled :|

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Eleven is my favorite number.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cramulus

Quote from: Hoopla on July 16, 2008, 03:48:46 AM
For people with a few minutes to kill:

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii273/photojonny2007/Extras/Mirrorshots.jpg

Just Law of Fives, or on to something?

On to what?

The kid is on screen for mathmatically related durations and intervals?

I'm not quite sure what you're going for here.

hooplala

Just curious as to whether Kubrick did this on purpose... or not? 

I'm leaning toward not, but I wouldn't put anything past Kubrick.

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Cramulus

I dunno man, I think you might be grasping at straws here.

Voodoo

I tried to figure this our for exactly 1:53 minutes before I remembered that I am not good in math. (The time stamp was 3:42 pm)  :42+:11

I am completely confused. 

Cain

Quote from: Professor Cramulus on July 16, 2008, 09:35:41 PM

Agreed.  There are other mirror scenes as well, it just looks like the person who did the photo picked some of them, counted back 11 minutes from it to try and make a point.  Poorly.

Shibboleet The Annihilator

FACT: I've never had cake at any party I've ever thrown. The vast majority of consumables were liquid and nobody really gave a shit if they were divided evenly after the first few.
What should you take from all this? Numerology is silly.

hooplala

Quote from: Professor Cramulus on July 16, 2008, 09:35:41 PM

I have nothing to do with the theory, I just stumbled onto it, and thought it was interesting.  I enjoy seeing the Law of Fives at work, which is what I suspect this is, but it also works beautifully.

If it doesn't do it for you . . . meh.

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

hooplala

Quote from: ten ton mantis on July 17, 2008, 02:32:20 AM
FACT: I've never had cake at any party I've ever thrown. The vast majority of consumables were liquid and nobody really gave a shit if they were divided evenly after the first few.

I like numerology in fiction, but don't have much time for it IRL.

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Cain

I did see a good video on Youtube once which made the case that The Shining was filmed by Kubrick to be about the Indian genocide at the hands of American colonists.  I'm not sure if you can fit an eleven into that, but feel free to try.

hooplala

I thought you quit?

There ARE a lot of native american artifacts in the background of the film, so there could be something to that... I would imagine Kubrick had a lot of things on his mind...

Although I am thoroughly SICK of the "indian burial ground" concept in fiction... the population of north america doesn't seem to find native americans intimidating or powerful in any way, except in the creation of a SCARY burial ground, which I think is extremely odd.

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

LMNO

White genocidal guilt.

I did find it amusing in Poltergiest though, that a dead Indian would spend his time moving a chair back and forth in some suburban kitchen.

Messier Undertree

Quote from: ten ton mantis on July 17, 2008, 02:32:20 AM

:potd: