News:

MysticWicks endorsement: "I've always, always regarded the Discordians as being people who chose to be Discordians because they can't be arsed to actually do any work to develop a relationship with a specific deity, they were too wishy-washy to choose just one path, and they just want to be a mishmash of everything and not have to work at learning about rituals or traditions or any such thing as that."

Main Menu

Humour is a weapon - so you better learn how to use it

Started by Cain, July 16, 2008, 06:44:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jasper

The Wizard

Insanity we trust.

Triple Zero

Oh yes, this is a good one.

Cain, you can be proud of it, this is one of those essays whose lessons I still remember quite often.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Cramulus

Hoser McRhizzy

Printed.

This was an awesome read, and really useful.  Good bump!
It feels unreal because it's trickling up.

Brotep

This is excellent.

Quote from: Cain
Stand-up in particular is more a funny man doing material than a man doing funny material.  To a degree, it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.  The man who is delivering the material is funny, therefore his material must be funny too.  This identity/rhetorical sleight of hand is not always true, but it is worth remembering and considering.  Delivery is key, and cannot be understated.

I work with the developmentally disabled. There are a couple of characters who like to trash talk, but they don't make any sense. Nevertheless, their delivery carries such defiant gusto that the other clients invariably burst out laughing.

Jasper

Yeah, just imagine any performer taking Emo Phillips' material and trying to treat it like comedy.  It would suck.

Emo makes it comedy by being Emo.

BadBeast

Even the most Despotic of Medieval Kings understood this, and had their Court Jester. His job was to remind the King that nothing, and no-one was too grand, or sacred to have the piss ripped out of them now and again. 
"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,
NOT JUST A "FAIR WEATHER FIGHTER"!

"I kinda like him. It's like he sees inside my soul" ~ Nigel

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpkCJDYxH-4

Jasper

I think more likely it gets old having your ass kissed by everyone.