News:

It's funny how the position for boot-licking is so close to the one used for curb-stomping.

Main Menu

Accidental curry

Started by Richter, July 21, 2008, 03:16:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richter

This is what I ended up with for dinner on Friday.

I cooked 1 lb. chicken, cut into bits, cooked over medium heat in butter, and 2 cloves garlic.  Spiced with pepper, soy sauce, ginger, cayene pepper, chilli powder and a bit of lime juice.  Added chopped green pepper, zuchinni, onion, mushroom.

It turned out as a spicy dish with a red colored sauce.  Served over rice cooked with saffron and sesame oil.

I'm going to be attempting it again tonight, any suggestions on what to do different?

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Dysfunctional Cunt

Sounds really good as it is. 

LMNO

cumin

coriander

.....curry powder.

Dysfunctional Cunt

I'm not a huge vurry fan.  I will replace with hot pepper and saffron most of the time. 

LMNO

Quote from: Evil Bitch Khara on July 21, 2008, 05:48:01 PM
I'm not a huge vurry fan.  I will replace with hot pepper and saffron most of the time. 

That's probably because you don't make your own.

Richter

It's an idea, I'll start slow with it though.  Everything else could get overpowered v. quickly, but cumin and corriander are definites to play with.

Oh, I also added some "Emeril" brand Chinese seasoning.  It was more of a "didn't taste like anything" seasoning.  :|
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

AFK

He forgot to kick it up a notch. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Dysfunctional Cunt

Quote from: LMNO on July 21, 2008, 05:51:40 PM
Quote from: Evil Bitch Khara on July 21, 2008, 05:48:01 PM
I'm not a huge curry fan.  I will replace with hot pepper and saffron most of the time. 

That's probably because you don't make your own.

recipe???

LMNO

3 tablespoons coriander seeds
2 teaspoons cumin seeds
1 teaspoons fenugreek seeds
1 teaspoon fennel seeds
1 teaspoon yellow mustard seeds
2 teaspoons white peppercorns
6 whole cloves
2 tablespoons turmeric
2 teaspoons cayenne

Put everything except the tumeric and cayenne into a large heavy cast iron skillet.  Toast over medium heat until browned and smoking.  Yes, it will fill your kitchen with smoke.  Yes, this will smell amazing.  Expect to toast the seeds between 10 and 12 minutes.  The longer you toast them, the more umami/smoke flavor you'll get out of it.

Cool, and put into your spice grinder/dedicated coffee grinder, and grind to fine powder.  This might take several batches.

Dump powder in a close-fitting airtight container, add the cayenne and tumeric, and shake to combine.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

It sounds great; I made something similar last week, but with ginger and peanut butter also.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Richter

Peanut butter  YES  Flavor and thicken the sauce!  :eek:

Thanks Nigel!

Also: round 2 lack flavor, I think I should have sauteed the garlic more.
Still good thou.

Dysfunctional Cunt

Quote from: LMNO on July 21, 2008, 06:20:12 PM
3 tablespoons coriander seeds
2 teaspoons cumin seeds
1 teaspoons fenugreek seeds
1 teaspoon fennel seeds
1 teaspoon yellow mustard seeds
2 teaspoons white peppercorns
6 whole cloves
2 tablespoons turmeric
2 teaspoons cayenne

Put everything except the tumeric and cayenne into a large heavy cast iron skillet.  Toast over medium heat until browned and smoking.  Yes, it will fill your kitchen with smoke.  Yes, this will smell amazing.  Expect to toast the seeds between 10 and 12 minutes.  The longer you toast them, the more umami/smoke flavor you'll get out of it.

Cool, and put into your spice grinder/dedicated coffee grinder, and grind to fine powder.  This might take several batches.

Dump powder in a close-fitting airtight container, add the cayenne and tumeric, and shake to combine.

Thank you!  I will make me some after I finish moving!

LMNO

Protip:  If you "accidentally" put the cayenne in with the seeds on the stove, you will essentially be creating free-flowing mace throughout your kitchen.

Good to know if you're ever at a boring party.

Kai

Quote from: LMNO on July 22, 2008, 03:16:06 PM
Protip:  If you "accidentally" put the cayenne in with the seeds on the stove, you will essentially be creating free-flowing mace throughout your kitchen.

:lulz:

Also, thanks for the curry powder recipie. I know someone who has been wanting to make some for a while now.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Dysfunctional Cunt

Quote from: LMNO on July 22, 2008, 03:16:06 PM

I wonder if there is a way to bottle that for later use?  Probably not, but damn what a way to ensure everyone leaves quickly.  Might be useful on those mornings the kids won't get out of bed for school!!!! :lulz: