News:

It's funny how the position for boot-licking is so close to the one used for curb-stomping.

Main Menu

Accidental curry

Started by Richter, July 21, 2008, 03:16:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AFK

The only really true curry they had was some curry leaves.  They had red curry, green curry, and yellow curry, also curry paste.  But yeah, Alton Brown gave the little shpeel up front about how curry is really a blend of spices, etc., and varies from place to place. 

Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Rev. St. Syn, KSC (Ret.)

Synaptyclypse Generator Publishing Sect, POEE International Resource Center

LMNO

Quote from: Rev. St. Syn, KSC on August 05, 2008, 03:24:02 PM
Quote from: LMNO on July 22, 2008, 05:37:19 PM
You obviously have never been maced.
:cn:

Citation:

Quote from: Evil Bitch For Hire on July 22, 2008, 05:35:46 PM
Quote from: LMNO on July 22, 2008, 03:16:06 PM
Protip:  If you "accidentally" put the cayenne in with the seeds on the stove, you will essentially be creating free-flowing mace throughout your kitchen.
Might be useful on those mornings the kids won't get out of bed

Richter

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on August 05, 2008, 02:56:53 PM
The only really true curry they had was some curry leaves.  They had red curry, green curry, and yellow curry, also curry paste.  But yeah, Alton Brown gave the little shpeel up front about how curry is really a blend of spices, etc., and varies from place to place. 

I'd think that would be a little open ended for an Iron Chef.  If I ever have cable TV again I'll try to catch that.

Also, discussion with 000 a while back concluded that chili is a curry.... 
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

AFK

Also, I get Bon Appetit magazine.  I got a free subscription from Amazon that came with some thing I bought for my wife.  Anyhoo, in there they had a piece about all of these Cooking video games that have come out. 

Apparently, there is an Iron Chef America game for the Wii.  Interesting. 

Rev. St. Syn, KSC (Ret.)

Quote from: LMNO on August 05, 2008, 03:33:39 PM
Quote from: Rev. St. Syn, KSC on August 05, 2008, 03:24:02 PM
Quote from: LMNO on July 22, 2008, 05:37:19 PM
You obviously have never been maced.
:cn:

Citation:

Quote from: Evil Bitch For Hire on July 22, 2008, 05:35:46 PM
Quote from: LMNO on July 22, 2008, 03:16:06 PM
Protip:  If you "accidentally" put the cayenne in with the seeds on the stove, you will essentially be creating free-flowing mace throughout your kitchen.
Might be useful on those mornings the kids won't get out of bed
Danke! :D
Synaptyclypse Generator Publishing Sect, POEE International Resource Center

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I used to be the tea and spice blendmaster for Kobos, and I still make a mean fucking curry.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Triple Zero

Quote from: Richter on August 05, 2008, 05:06:56 PM
Also, discussion with 000 a while back concluded that chili is a curry.... 

we did?

heh :)
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Richter

Yeah, I think it was the one about your bean recipies. 

The impression my brain left with was any dish of meat / veggies cooked with the spices and other trace ingredients in such a way that it produces a sauce, but doesn't become soup or stew, IS CURRY.

Ingredients, spicing, method and presentation may varry regionaly, but you're doing the same thing to it.

This actually describes 90% of the cooking  do for myself.  The technique is the same, the only difference what kind of sauce it gets and what I serve it over.
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Triple Zero

... but ... i consider curry a kind of stew :?

in which case, what do you consider to be the important difference between curry and stew?
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: triple zero on August 06, 2008, 03:36:35 PM

in which case, what do you consider to be the important difference between curry and stew?

I always associate "stew" with "stewing" stuff... cooking it in liquid at low temperatures for long period of time. By contrast, curry ingredients are rarely "stewed"... they're quickly cooked and served in sauce.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Richter

Stew I imagine as having more of a broth than a sauce.  Lighter flavor + more watery.

I have to conceed that it's a fine line though...

Quote from: Nigel on August 06, 2008, 05:21:17 PM
Quote from: triple zero on August 06, 2008, 03:36:35 PM

I always associate "stew" with "stewing" stuff... cooking it in liquid at low temperatures for long period of time. By contrast, curry ingredients are rarely "stewed"... they're quickly cooked and served in sauce.

YES. This also!

Triple Zero

afaik a good curry is boiling at a low temp for the better part of a day?

and i make my stews usually pretty saucy as well, so maybe that's it.

LMNO

I would say that a curry would be a sub-set of a stew.

The distinctive differences being the ingredients, of which chili peppers, cumin, coriander, and tumeric belonging to the curry subset.

This does not take into account the Asian "green curry", which has plenty of peppers, but no tumeric.

So, all curry is stew, but not all stew is curry.

AFK