News:

No, we're not mercenaries. We just carry weapons and kill things for the joy of the experience.

Main Menu

Accidental curry

Started by Richter, July 21, 2008, 03:16:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Triple Zero

Quote from: LMNO on August 06, 2008, 06:20:53 PMI would say that a curry would be a sub-set of a stew.

The distinctive differences being the ingredients, of which chili peppers, cumin, coriander, and tumeric belonging to the curry subset.

This does not take into account the Asian "green curry", which has plenty of peppers, but no tumeric.

So, all curry is stew, but not all stew is curry.

yep, that's pretty much my view on it as well.

now, how does chilli fit into the equation? is it a subset of stews as well, but with beans and chilli?

and most importantly, can yuo have a curry chilli stew? :D
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Richter

Quote from: LMNO on August 06, 2008, 06:20:53 PM
I would say that a curry would be a sub-set of a stew.

The distinctive differences being the ingredients, of which chili peppers, cumin, coriander, and tumeric belonging to the curry subset.

This does not take into account the Asian "green curry", which has plenty of peppers, but no tumeric.

I'd still argue a difference based on presentation and what you serve it with / on.  (curry over rice vs. stew in a bowl, maybe with bread on the side)

Quote from: triple zero on August 06, 2008, 06:08:52 PM
afaik a good curry is boiling at a low temp for the better part of a day?

and i make my stews usually pretty saucy as well, so maybe that's it.

When I make curry it's usualy a 20 min. or less cooking time.  I'm not sure if this is traditional for curry.
Frankly I cook everything like it's mongolian barbecue.  Throw in a hot wok, add veggies, season / sauce and serve.

Stews I rarely have the time to do :sad:
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

LMNO

Quote from: triple zero on August 06, 2008, 06:37:29 PM
Quote from: LMNO on August 06, 2008, 06:20:53 PMI would say that a curry would be a sub-set of a stew.

now, how does chilli fit into the equation? is it a subset of stews as well, but with beans and chilli?

I'd say that Chili is a form of stew.

The addition of beans (other than chickpeas) seems to be a defining aspect of Chili; however, if one were to make a beanless goat chili, the only real difference between that and a curry would be the addition of paprika (in the chili powder), and the absence of vinegar.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: triple zero on August 06, 2008, 06:08:52 PM
afaik a good curry is boiling at a low temp for the better part of a day?

and i make my stews usually pretty saucy as well, so maybe that's it.

Ahhh I bet you are talking about Indian curry, and I am thinking of Thai curry! that would make a difference I think. I don't really eat much indian curry.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO on August 06, 2008, 06:52:07 PM
Quote from: triple zero on August 06, 2008, 06:37:29 PM

I'd say that Chili is a form of stew.

The addition of beans (other than chickpeas) seems to be a defining aspect of Chili; however, if one were to make a beanless goat chili, the only real difference between that and a curry would be the addition of paprika (in the chili powder), and the absence of vinegar.

I think some chili powder blends could be defined as a type of curry. Many chili recipes don't contain beans at all, and I would have to say that the use of chili peppers as a primary flavoring agent defines chili, whether red or green.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Curry is the seasoning, and you can do a dry curry. What is cooked with curry is "curried".

Nast

There used to be an awesome restaurant downtown run by South-African born Indian lady. She made the best  curries ever, and apparently in South Africa, curry is served in a bread bowl!
"If I owned Goodwill, no charity worker would feel safe.  I would sit in my office behind a massive pile of cocaine, racking my pistol's slide every time the cleaning lady came near.  Auditors, I'd just shoot."

trippinprincezz13

Fact: Any soup or stew served in a bread bowl instantly becomes more delicious.
There's no sun shine coming through her ass, if you are sure of your penis.

Paranoia is a disease unto itself, and may I add, the person standing next to you, may not be who they appear to be, so take precaution.

If there is no order in your sexual life it may be difficult to stay with a whole skin.

AFK

Quote from: Nigel on August 06, 2008, 08:45:10 PM

Curry is the seasoning, and you can do a dry curry. What is cooked with curry is "curried".

So in other words, a stew with the seasoning is a stew that has curried flavor? 

*ducks*
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

LMNO

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on August 07, 2008, 03:07:06 PM
Quote from: Nigel on August 06, 2008, 08:45:10 PM

So in other words, a stew with the seasoning is a stew that has curried flavor? 

*ducks*
:x