News:

So essentially, the enemy of my enemy is not my friend, he's just another moronic, entitled turd in the bucket.

Main Menu

Atom images

Started by Vene, July 23, 2008, 09:37:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vene

link

We can now look at individual atoms.  Hydrogen atoms at that.  Sure, it looks like this:

But how cool is it that what is essentially a proton can now be viewed?

PeregrineBF

We've been able to look at individual atoms for a long time now, just not with this type of microscope. You can build an STM with atomic resolution (though for somewhat bigger atoms) for less than $100. http://www.geocities.com/spm_stm/Project.html
That said, this is a great achievement. STMs and AFMs have limitations that TEMs don't, so the extra resolution should be a good thing.

nurbldoff

Just a note that a hydrogen atom is a lot bigger than a proton, I guess something like 100000 times bigger in terms of "classical" radius.

Still neat though.
Nature is the great teacher. Who is the principal?

Vene

Quote from: nurbldoff on August 15, 2008, 09:29:47 PM
Just a note that a hydrogen atom is a lot bigger than a proton, I guess something like 100000 times bigger in terms of "classical" radius.

Still neat though.
Wouldn't it depend on if the hydrogen atom in question has a charge?  (I'm excluding deuterium for no good reason too)

nurbldoff

Well, a positive Hydrogen ion is just a proton. If there aren't any electrons around there is little point in calling it an atom.

Anyway, I was just being an egghead.
Nature is the great teacher. Who is the principal?