News:

PD.com: The most patriotic board in America - jointly run by an Australian, an Irishman, a filthy Dutchman, a Canadian and some guy from the West Indies.

Main Menu

Weekly Science Headlines

Started by Kai, July 30, 2008, 10:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MMIX

"The ultimate hidden truth of the world is that it is something we make and could just as easily make differently" David Graeber

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Brother Mythos on April 18, 2017, 02:54:17 PM
However, while electric charges exist, magnetic charges have never been observed in nature.

WAIT... what?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lodestone
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: MMIX on April 21, 2017, 03:28:04 PM
Not all heroic stories have happy endings; sometimes a person just has to do what a person has to do
http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/science/2017/04/explaining_science_won_t_fix_information_illiteracy.html

The person who wrote this has literally no idea what science communication is or what science communicators are trying to do. Like, not even a little bit. I wonder if it occurred to them to talk to any of the people who run, oh, I don't know, ComSciCon, or NW Noggin, or Science Pub, or a science outreach club at any university anywhere in the world, and ask them what they do and whether he could attend one of their events? I mean, he literally wrote this as if he sat in his study and thought to himself, "What is it that science communicators do, anyway?" and when he had thought about it long enough to generate an idea, he just ran with it from there.

I taught 5th grade kids brain games for a summer. I work a kid's table at the zoo. My labmate is doing a fellowship helping the State of Oregon with marine wildlife policy. There are new associations springing up with the specific aim of getting scientists into government.

This writer is not an idiot, he's just mysteriously, bafflingly clueless.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Maybe he's just been buried under grading and grantwriting for so long he hasn't noticed?

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO on April 21, 2017, 04:38:33 PM
Oh, wait.  The article you linked is not the article you quoted...

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/science/2017/04/trump_should_not_appoint_a_science_adviser.html

To explain my emotional reaction that may have clouded my judgement, Marburger was my dad.

Holy shit, he was a hero. An actual real-life hero. That is exactly the kind of person I would want to be if I had the chance. I think that is the most badass Discordia I've ever heard about.

The Good Reverend Roger

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/science/2017/04/trump_should_not_appoint_a_science_adviser.html

To explain my emotional reaction that may have clouded my judgement, Marburger was my dad.

I had no idea that your dad was that Jack Marburger.  Holy shit, your dad was a bona-fide hero.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

MMIX

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 22, 2017, 06:32:53 AM

I had no idea that your dad was that Jack Marburger.  Holy shit, your dad was a bona-fide hero.

That's what I said
"The ultimate hidden truth of the world is that it is something we make and could just as easily make differently" David Graeber

LMNO

Thanks, all. I miss him a lot.

Junkenstein

Pretty much this.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Junkenstein on April 22, 2017, 04:15:15 PM

Pretty much this.

I knew who he was, I just had no idea about all the behind-the-scenes stuff. That was brilliant, and it shows true dedication to doing good. It couldn't have been easy for him to let his public reputation endure so much excoriation while quietly working around the President's ignorance to strengthen science policy where it would count.

LMNO

Interestingly enough, all that mattered is that his friends and family knew; he also had a superhuman ability to explain himself to people, and they'd end up understanding and agreeing with him.

He also used to cut down trees with a small Japanese handsaw, for fun.  I'm thinking it was a form of stress relief.

Memories of him, bald from the chemo, looking at me with a twinkle in his eye and a half-grin, saying, "Son, the doctors won't let me cut down trees anymore, because I have cancer." You can probably guess that didn't stop him.

Kai

Jet stream shenanigans leading to some extreme weather patterns. I guess that would explain why we had a frost last night, on the 7th of May, which is past the 95% confidence interval date for our location. And why we had to bring the garden pots inside last night.

Fish eye mind control parasite, another example of why evolution is not kind.

Pumping cold sea water onto arctic ice during winter. However, refreezing the arctic ocean wouldn't do much to the feedback cycle of atmospheric carbon dioxide. Nor would it reduce sea level rise, which is largely from glaciers on Greenland and Antarctica.

Also, hi. I'm a little surprised to see this thread is still going. I feel good about that, actually. And nervous to be here after so long.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Junkenstein

Kai lives!

I remember you had something big worded so you were not a total ads. As long as you don't whip out zerohedge links you'll be fine.

And the fish eye thing is a great example of evolution not being a March to sparkles and sunshine.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

MMIX

Quote from: Kai on May 08, 2017, 09:21:12 PM

Pumping cold sea water onto arctic ice during winter. However, refreezing the arctic ocean wouldn't do much to the feedback cycle of atmospheric carbon dioxide. Nor would it reduce sea level rise, which is largely from glaciers on Greenland and Antarctica.

He has surely got one thing right though:
Quote"There'll be a time, 10 to 15 years from now, when Arctic sea ice will be accelerating to oblivion, and there'll be political will to do something about climate change," Desch says. 

Quote"We need to have this figured out by the time people are ready to do something."   

Also: Nice to see you back Kai - MMIX/ St Mysteria

LMNO

Kai!  Hello!  How's your science?