Author Topic: Weekly Science Headlines  (Read 198216 times)

MMIX

• Доктор мом
  • Deserved It
  • FUNEX? S, VFX. FUNEM? S, VFM
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Science Headlines
« Reply #1080 on: April 21, 2017, 05:31:28 pm »
Disregarded. Resist. Peace
If the answer is Donald J Trump then it must have been a fucking stupid question.
Trumpistas; "and some I assume are good people"

Trump came like a thief in the polls

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

• v=1/3πr2h
  • Deserved It
  • The sky tastes like red exuberance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1081 on: Yesterday at 02:21:42 am »
However, while electric charges exist, magnetic charges have never been observed in nature.

WAIT... what?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lodestone
Im guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk, Charles Wick said. It was very complicated.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

• v=1/3πr2h
  • Deserved It
    • View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: Yesterday at 02:33:59 am »
Not all heroic stories have happy endings; sometimes a person just has to do what a person has to do
http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/science/2017/04/explaining_science_won_t_fix_information_illiteracy.html

The person who wrote this has literally no idea what science communication is or what science communicators are trying to do. Like, not even a little bit. I wonder if it occurred to them to talk to any of the people who run, oh, I don't know, ComSciCon, or NW Noggin, or Science Pub, or a science outreach club at any university anywhere in the world, and ask them what they do and whether he could attend one of their events? I mean, he literally wrote this as if he sat in his study and thought to himself, "What is it that science communicators do, anyway?" and when he had thought about it long enough to generate an idea, he just ran with it from there.

I taught 5th grade kids brain games for a summer. I work a kid's table at the zoo. My labmate is doing a fellowship helping the State of Oregon with marine wildlife policy. There are new associations springing up with the specific aim of getting scientists into government.

This writer is not an idiot, he's just mysteriously, bafflingly clueless.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 03:37:52 am by Mesozoic Mister Nigel »
Im guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk, Charles Wick said. It was very complicated.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

• v=1/3πr2h
  • Deserved It
    • View Profile
« Reply #1083 on: Yesterday at 02:35:32 am »
Maybe he's just been buried under grading and grantwriting for so long he hasn't noticed?

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

• v=1/3πr2h
  • Deserved It
    • View Profile
« Reply #1084 on: Yesterday at 02:43:47 am »
Oh, wait.  The article you linked is not the article you quoted...

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/science/2017/04/trump_should_not_appoint_a_science_adviser.html

To explain my emotional reaction that may have clouded my judgement, Marburger was my dad.

Holy shit, he was a hero. An actual real-life hero. That is exactly the kind of person I would want to be if I had the chance. I think that is the most badass Discordia I've ever heard about.

The Good Reverend Roger

• Horrible Bastard
  • One-Armed Jizz Moppers
  • Deserved It
    • View Profile
« Reply #1085 on: Yesterday at 06:32:53 am »

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/science/2017/04/trump_should_not_appoint_a_science_adviser.html

To explain my emotional reaction that may have clouded my judgement, Marburger was my dad.

I had no idea that your dad was that Jack Marburger.  Holy shit, your dad was a bona-fide hero.
Your toilet is going to kill you.  Ask me how.

MMIX

• Доктор мом
  • Deserved It
  • FUNEX? S, VFX. FUNEM? S, VFM
    • View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: Yesterday at 08:22:53 am »

I had no idea that your dad was that Jack Marburger.  Holy shit, your dad was a bona-fide hero.

That's what I said
If the answer is Donald J Trump then it must have been a fucking stupid question.
Trumpistas; "and some I assume are good people"

Trump came like a thief in the polls

LMNO

• Lubricated and Rabid Lungfish of Impending Sexdoom
  • Deserved It
  • Internet Fuckweasel of Haunted Pork Dimensions.
    • View Profile
    • Earfatigue Productions: When it has to sound like you give a shit.
« Reply #1087 on: Yesterday at 04:02:45 pm »
Thanks, all. I miss him a lot.

Junkenstein

• Technically-Oriented & Horribly Mobile Crecy of Crab Lice.
  • Deserved It
    • View Profile
« Reply #1088 on: Yesterday at 04:15:15 pm »

Pretty much this.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

• v=1/3πr2h
  • Deserved It
    • View Profile
« Reply #1089 on: Yesterday at 07:56:05 pm »

Pretty much this.

I knew who he was, I just had no idea about all the behind-the-scenes stuff. That was brilliant, and it shows true dedication to doing good. It couldn't have been easy for him to let his public reputation endure so much excoriation while quietly working around the President's ignorance to strengthen science policy where it would count.