News:

'sup, my privileged, cishet shitlords?  I'm back from oppressing womyn and PoC.

Main Menu

Weekly Science Headlines

Started by Kai, July 30, 2008, 10:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chaotic neutral observer

I can't see a whole lot of practical value in colonizing Mars, or in interstellar travel.

But I think we should try, anyway.

Why?  Because space is awesome.  To hell with profitability, and screw common sense.  What with the imminent heat death of the universe, humanity is doomed anyway, so let's go as big as we can before it all turns to ash.

If anyone wants me, I'll be playing video games.
Desine fata deum flecti sperare precando.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: chaotic neutral observer on August 03, 2018, 03:00:47 AM
I can't see a whole lot of practical value in colonizing Mars, or in interstellar travel.

But I think we should try, anyway.

Why?  Because space is awesome.  To hell with profitability, and screw common sense.  What with the imminent heat death of the universe, humanity is doomed anyway, so let's go as big as we can before it all turns to ash.

If anyone wants me, I'll be playing video games.

Space is fine.  But what we do in space should lead to new knowledge or some other form of deliverable.  Mars does not do this.
Molon Lube

minuspace

Quote from: Brother Mythos on August 03, 2018, 12:26:12 AM
Quote from: axod on August 02, 2018, 11:32:11 PM
QuoteIn addition, the article does not address how Mars would maintain a thick atmosphere, even if one could be generated, without the existence of a planet-size magnetic field.

Because it would only take 1, maximum 2 teslas to induce a magnetosphere.

I do not believe that creating an artificial magnetosphere around an entire planet is a trivial undertaking.
Axod sometimes fails when delivering irony.

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

Why would we skip straight to Mars instead of colonizing the moon first? It seems like a lot of unnecessary extra distance to go for a planet that lacks breathable air and earthlike ravity regardless.

And as for the point of space, I would think that a board as liberal as this one would appreciate the issues of dwindling resources and humanity's effect on the environment. There's a finite amount of copper and iron in the earth's crust and eventually they're all going to be mined out, leaving us in need of a new source. Also, and perhaps more importantly, industry and development are destroying the natural environment on planet earth; but Mars (and the moon, and so on) doesn't have any plants or animals (etc) anyway, so we can pollute it all we want and build on it wherever we feel like
Praise NHGH! For the tribulation of all sentient beings.

a plague on both your houses -Mercutio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrTGgpWmdZQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVWd7nPjJH8

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhrZgojY1Q

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Don't use the email address in my profile, I lost the password years ago

minuspace

Brother Mythos

Quote from: LuciferX on August 03, 2018, 04:40:14 AM
QuoteIn addition, the article does not address how Mars would maintain a thick atmosphere, even if one could be generated, without the existence of a planet-size magnetic field.

I do not believe that creating an artificial magnetosphere around an entire planet is a trivial undertaking.

Sorry, I didn't realize that was irony. My bad.
Discordianism is fundamentally mischievous irreverence.

axod

Quote from: Brother Mythos on August 04, 2018, 07:20:20 PM
Quote from: LuciferX on August 03, 2018, 04:40:14 AM

Sorry, I didn't realize that was irony. My bad.
Not according to NASA:
Quote...
due to the application of full plasma physics codes and laboratory experiments. In the future it is quite possible that an inflatable structure(s) can generate a magnetic dipole field at a level of perhaps 1 or 2 Tesla (or 10,000 to 20,000 Gauss) as an active shield against the solar wind."
https://m.phys.org/news/2017-03-nasa-magnetic-shield-mars-atmosphere.html
just this

Brother Mythos

So, while creating an artificial magnetosphere around an entire planet is still not a trivial undertaking, it may actually be possible. How about that.

Nice find, axod.

(I read, a couple of months ago, about some group discussing the possibility of creating an artificial magnetosphere around Mars, but they had no idea how to pull it off.)

Discordianism is fundamentally mischievous irreverence.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Brother Mythos on August 05, 2018, 03:44:39 AM
So, while creating an artificial magnetosphere around an entire planet is still not a trivial undertaking, it may actually be possible. How about that.

Nice find, axod.

(I read, a couple of months ago, about some group discussing the possibility of creating an artificial magnetosphere around Mars, but they had no idea how to pull it off.)

Possible, but why?

Mars is a sump for resources.  There's nothing there, and how fucking big would just that one structure be?  I could see using something like that in asteroid mining, but it's still cheaper and easier to use robots.
Molon Lube

minuspace

Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 05, 2018, 04:53:52 AM
Quote from: Brother Mythos on August 05, 2018, 03:44:39 AM

Nice find, axod.

Possible, but why?

Mars is a sump for resources.  There's nothing there, and how fucking big would just that one structure be?  I could see using something like that in asteroid mining, but it's still cheaper and easier to use robots.

Well, one roadster already escaped earth's atmosphere with a model android, so yeah.

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

And, in addition to resources and the environment, we also need backup civilizations out of ICBM range so everything isn't wiped out when one of the shitheads in charge of the world hits the big red button
Praise NHGH! For the tribulation of all sentient beings.

a plague on both your houses -Mercutio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrTGgpWmdZQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVWd7nPjJH8

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhrZgojY1Q

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Don't use the email address in my profile, I lost the password years ago

chaotic neutral observer

Quote from: Prelate Diogenes Shandor on August 05, 2018, 10:04:13 AM
And, in addition to resources and the environment, we also need backup civilizations out of ICBM range so everything isn't wiped out when one of the shitheads in charge of the world hits the big red button

I find it hard to conceive of a nuclear war that would make Earth less habitable than Mars (or the Moon).  Even if you take into account nuclear winter, massive fallout, large sections of geography glassed over, 99% extinction rate, it's not as if nuclear war would actually rip the atmosphere off the planet.  There's a pretty big difference between "if you leave the bunker without protection, you might die of cancer in six months" to "if you leave the base without a space suit, you'll asphyxiate in 60 seconds".

No, I don't think we should go to Mars with any practical objectives in mind.  Someone is going to need to make up some sort of plausible justification to generate the necessary political will, but I doubt the reasons will be legitimate.

I think we should go to Mars just for the lulz.  Humanity needs to get out of the house once in a while, try new things.  We can figure out if there were any tangible benefits afterward.
Desine fata deum flecti sperare precando.

Doktor Howl

Mars is under the best of circumstances a slow death trap.  If you're going to move populations, you are still better off in the asteroid belt.

But let's face facts:  With the technology we have right now, nothing off-Earth is going to be reliable enough to call "survivable".
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: chaotic neutral observer on August 05, 2018, 05:16:08 PM

I find it hard to conceive of a nuclear war that would make Earth less habitable than Mars (or the Moon).  Even if you take into account nuclear winter, massive fallout, large sections of geography glassed over, 99% extinction rate, it's not as if nuclear war would actually rip the atmosphere off the planet.  There's a pretty big difference between "if you leave the bunker without protection, you might die of cancer in six months" to "if you leave the base without a space suit, you'll asphyxiate in 60 seconds".

No, I don't think we should go to Mars with any practical objectives in mind.  Someone is going to need to make up some sort of plausible justification to generate the necessary political will, but I doubt the reasons will be legitimate.

I think we should go to Mars just for the lulz.  Humanity needs to get out of the house once in a while, try new things.  We can figure out if there were any tangible benefits afterward.

1000 mT inside of a month kills off EVERYTHING except maybe vent worms.

And we have an ecological crash happening right now.  Wasted resources are wasted.  There's actual work to be done.
Molon Lube

axod

Quote from: Prelate Diogenes Shandor on July 30, 2018, 01:40:36 AM

Yeah, honestly, what 1950's science fiction movie did they get that 2030 figure from? Unless of course they didn't specify living humans; I think they could probably get an urn up there.

Sorry I missed this one: whose ruins are on mars?
just this