News:

Doing everything exactly opposite from "The Mainstream" is the same thing as doing everything exactly like "The Mainstream."  You're still using What Everyone Else is Doing as your primary point of reference.

Main Menu

Juxtapositions

Started by Cramulus, August 10, 2008, 05:42:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

The biggest thing I can think of is to have as clear a vision as you can about what it is you want Photoshop to achieve. Then, you WILL find a way, because there are about 100 ways to do almost anything in the behemoth that is the 'shop. Yes, there may be the "correct" way which is quite easy and fast, but along the way you're likely to run into interesting dead-ends.

That said, in order to access the duotone and halftone options (under Image on the top menu bar), you must grayscale first.

Also, posterize is a useful tool in making stencils from photographic tones AKA "continuous tone"). It breaks your image down into flat areas of pure black and white -or- black and 1 grey and white -or- black and 2 greys and white and so on. The "Hope" Obama poster was done based on this idea in order to produce a poster with a limited number of inks.

Select something then:
Edit > Define Brush, then check your brush palette for what you selected. This will be a monotone when you go to use it.

Select something then:
Edit > Define Pattern, select the paint bucket tool, find the toolbar just underneath the top one, change the pulldown menu from "Foreground" to "Pattern", find the pulldown menu with the pattern it will apply (should be next to the previous pulldown menu I mentioned but I don't know if this has changed from version to version), your new pattern will be at the bottom. Your pattern will be in the same colors as your selection.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Cramulus

ooh, more great tips. Thanks net, that's very helpful.

Cramulus

When you throw a rock into the water, it will speed on the fastest course to the bottom of the water. Somewhere along the line I knew there'd be girls, visions, everything; somewhere along the line the pearl would be handed to me.

A true seeker cannot not accept any teachings, not if he sincerely wishes to find something. I hid in the grapevines, digging it all. I felt like a million dollars; I was adventuring in the crazy American night. The potential Buddha already exists in the sinner; his future is already there.

Words do not express thoughts very well. They always become a little different immediately after they are expressed, a little distorted, a little foolish. We fumed and screamed in our mountain nook, mad drunken Americans in the mighty land. We were on the roof of America and all we could do was yell, I guess — across the night, eastward over the Plains.

During deep meditation it is possible to dispel time, to see simultaneously all the past, present, and future, and then everything is good, everything is perfect, everything is Brahman. We turned at a dozen paces, for love is a duel, and looked at each other for the last time.

Here is a doctrine at which you will laugh. It seems to me that Love is the most important thing in the world. We were already almost out of America and yet definitely in it and in the middle of where it's maddest. I think it is only important to love the world, to explain and despise it. But we should regard the world and ourselves and all beings with love, admiration and respect. Boys and girls in America have such a sad time together; sophistication demands that they submit to sex immediately without proper preliminary talk. Not courting talk — real straight talk about souls, for life is holy and every moment is precious.

I had to strive for property and experience nausea and the depths of despair in order to learn not to resist them, in order to learn to love the world, and no longer compare it with some kind of desired imaginary world, some imaginary vision of perfection, but to leave it as it is, to love it and be glad to belong to it. Whither goest thou, America, in thy shiny car in the night?

words by Hesse & Kerouac
arranged by Cramulus

Triple Zero

Ah! I already thought I recognized Siddharta in there :) Good stuff, Cram.

It's from the chapter about Kamala, right? I have that quote about the stone and the water in my very old "good quotes" textfile. Btw for some reason I always associate Kamala with the 9 of Pentacles: http://www.learntarot.com/p9.htm
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: Cramulus on April 17, 2010, 02:33:23 AM
When you throw a rock into the water, it will speed on the fastest course to the bottom of the water. Somewhere along the line I knew there'd be girls, visions, everything; somewhere along the line the pearl would be handed to me.

A true seeker cannot not accept any teachings, not if he sincerely wishes to find something. I hid in the grapevines, digging it all. I felt like a million dollars; I was adventuring in the crazy American night. The potential Buddha already exists in the sinner; his future is already there.

Words do not express thoughts very well. They always become a little different immediately after they are expressed, a little distorted, a little foolish. We fumed and screamed in our mountain nook, mad drunken Americans in the mighty land. We were on the roof of America and all we could do was yell, I guess — across the night, eastward over the Plains.

During deep meditation it is possible to dispel time, to see simultaneously all the past, present, and future, and then everything is good, everything is perfect, everything is Brahman. We turned at a dozen paces, for love is a duel, and looked at each other for the last time.

Here is a doctrine at which you will laugh. It seems to me that Love is the most important thing in the world. We were already almost out of America and yet definitely in it and in the middle of where it's maddest. I think it is only important to love the world, to explain and despise it. But we should regard the world and ourselves and all beings with love, admiration and respect. Boys and girls in America have such a sad time together; sophistication demands that they submit to sex immediately without proper preliminary talk. Not courting talk — real straight talk about souls, for life is holy and every moment is precious.

I had to strive for property and experience nausea and the depths of despair in order to learn not to resist them, in order to learn to love the world, and no longer compare it with some kind of desired imaginary world, some imaginary vision of perfection, but to leave it as it is, to love it and be glad to belong to it. Whither goest thou, America, in thy shiny car in the night?

words by Hesse & Kerouac
arranged by Cramulus

:mittens: That was a nice thing to wake up to.

Cramulus

related:

cutups made from various quotes

http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php?topic=17928

Quote"What makes the desert beautiful," says the little prince, "is that I'm just going through a phase right now. Everybody goes through phases and all, don't they?"

QuoteMan is free at the instant he escapes from the deep to the shore, turns to the perilous waters and gazes.

QuoteIt is the stillest words that bring on the bullet. Between the eyes of every endangered panda, static comes on doves' feet.

malvarma

I thought it clever to represent theocracy (I presume) with a King Tut mask behind a presidential podium. The image stays with you.

In any case, I will be voting for write-in candidate "King Tut Mask" come next election. I think it has a good chance of winning.

Keep up the collages! I browsed a lot of art posts in this forum tonight, but I liked yours best.
Follow me at http://twitter.com/normalioifyp and I'll follow you back. Let's totally be BFFs.

Cramulus

This is a proof-of-concept image. Just a draft. At some point I want to sit down and make a more detailed one:

Elder Iptuous

Telarus

Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Triple Zero

cram does your software map an image aerial photograph to the inside of the mandelbrot set or did you make this with very careful smudging and cloning and bending?
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

Cramulus

Quote from: Triple Zero on August 29, 2010, 11:15:11 PM
cram does your software map an image aerial photograph to the inside of the mandelbrot set or did you make this with very careful smudging and cloning and bending?

Actually very little cloning/smudging/bending, mostly just transform/rotating, and blending layers using transparency.

I've got a bunch of ideas for directions to go with this. The next one will focus on using the mandlebrot's empty interior space. I may do something with the nervous system too.

Triple Zero

Yeah I can now see it, the way you turned the dendrites into roads ... Incredible that you done it all by hand, looks awesome!!

Cramulus

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A