News:

Endorsement: "I would highly suggest that you steer clear of this website at all costs and disconnect yourself from all affiliation with those involved."

Main Menu

The Horrormirth Thread

Started by Cramulus, March 31, 2008, 11:15:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Verbal Mike

Since when is "seeing the horrormirth" not the same thing as "wading knee-deep through pure, unfiltered cynicism"?
Unless stated otherwise, feel free to copy or reproduce any text I post anywhere and any way you like. I will never throw a hissy-fit over it, promise.

Triple Zero

Quote from: LMNO on June 02, 2008, 06:09:02 PM
ok, i got the horror, but wheres the mirth?

maybe through captioning?

BTW, i saw the original works when i went to spain.  really heavy stuff.

some of the captions are puns.

otherwise i agree with Anch, it's a lot of cynicism.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

LMNO

After I heal up, I'll  see what I can do.

Anch

Quote from: Verbatim on June 02, 2008, 09:29:24 PM
Since when is "seeing the horrormirth" not the same thing as "wading knee-deep through pure, unfiltered cynicism"?

To me, cynicism is more on the nihilist side, while horrormirth is a bit more lighthearted; you can laughscreech at the hilarious madness of the world, but you can still try to make it a tiny bit better.

But, you know, YMMV.  :)
help I'm trapped in a online-personality-machine and can't escargh

LMNO

I think the original definition was "laughing that is indistinguihsable from screaming".

You know, seeing the horrific slapstick that is the world, and finally understanding the gruesome punchline.

AFK

I'm surprised I didn't think of this before but the companion expression for Horrormirth should be "Horray".

For example:

Quote from: Alamaris on May 18, 2008, 08:08:49 PM
Losing a game of Risk 2210 to the noob.  (To be exact, having to retreat to the only free space on the board not nuked by his fleet -- the moon.  I believe all told he had 48 countries, first time playing.)

American Idol.

Pretty much any religion.  Falling under this umbrella is remembering the years where you were a fundamentalist and doing everything your Christian friend told you to do.

Books full of rules on how to break the rules.

Most pagan forums.  For the most part, here, I'm referring to the ones where "everyone's beliefs are accepted", no matter how inane or pathetic they are -- the ones who proclaim free speech and then boot anyone who doesn't agree with them.  For example, anyone who mentions Discordianism.

"New Age" books: they're so bad its funny.  I recall a book which tried to turn Aleister Crowley's works into a fluffy bunny manual for teen witches.   :x

Horray!
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.