News:

Also, i dont think discordia attracts any more sociopaths than say, atheism or satanism.

Main Menu

Orson Scott Card: Fundie Asshole

Started by Iason Ouabache, August 13, 2008, 08:21:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Triple Zero

Quote from: That One Guy on August 13, 2008, 03:29:49 PM
I can't enjoy Ender's Shadow? Or even Speaker for the Dead et al? I enjoy them - if you don't fine.

i wasn't saying you couldn't, i was asking what he did was worth reading.

i havent read Ender's Shadow, but the sequels to Ender's Game all sort of seemed to lead up to something and then fail. --> IMO
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

That One Guy

Quote from: triple zero on August 13, 2008, 03:56:24 PM
Quote from: That One Guy on August 13, 2008, 03:29:49 PM
I can't enjoy Ender's Shadow? Or even Speaker for the Dead et al? I enjoy them - if you don't fine.

i wasn't saying you couldn't, i was asking what he did was worth reading.

i havent read Ender's Shadow, but the sequels to Ender's Game all sort of seemed to lead up to something and then fail. --> IMO

Would they be worth reading to you? Obviously not. To others that DID enjoy the other books (such as myself)? Yes, they would be worth reading. Are they incredible works of fiction, or even as good as Ender's Game? No, but I personally enjoyed them.

Prior to reading Card's rantings on this stuff I would have bought the next book set in the Ender universe. Now I won't. That's all I was saying.
People of the United States! We are Unitarian Jihad! We can strike without warning. Pockets of reasonableness and harmony will appear as if from nowhere! Nice people will run the government again! There will be coffee and cookies in the Gandhi Room after the revolution.

Arguing with a Unitarian Universalist is like mud wrestling a pig. Pretty soon you realize the pig likes it.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Maybe he's got teh Alzheimer's.

Cain, who's Gavin?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cain

Gavin M, one of the Sadly, No! writers.  Usually one of the writers will edit anothers article to interject something into it.

Triple Zero

Quote from: That One Guy on August 13, 2008, 04:29:15 PMWould they be worth reading to you? Obviously not. To others that DID enjoy the other books (such as myself)? Yes, they would be worth reading. Are they incredible works of fiction, or even as good as Ender's Game? No, but I personally enjoyed them.

well, if you insist on having your OWN opinion ... :roll:
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on August 13, 2008, 05:36:33 PM
Gavin M, one of the Sadly, No! writers.  Usually one of the writers will edit anothers article to interject something into it.

Oh, OK.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Random Probability

It's hardly surprising, really.

Orson Scott Card has always been a tedious fundie fuckwit.  I don't think I got more than four pages into "Ender's Game" before I threw up.  The completely unwarranted popularity of his works is more than ample proof of why the Christ meme is fucking dangerous.  I'd rather read Stephen King.  He's twice as tedious, but at least he isn't a moralfag.

On a related note, Mr. Card very neatly fits the profile of an abused adolescent with repressed homosexual tendancies.  Which, not coincidentally, also aptly describes the majority of "great military thinkers", and is yet another reason I got the fuck out of that industry.

But, if you are into wife beater apologist logic, then the whole Ender series is right up your alley!  Enjoy!

Cain

There is a curious crossover of science fiction, militaristic wankstains and bad political writers.

I sometimes wonder if they're all trying to take revenge on Gene Rodenberry....

Random Probability

Could be...  I never thought of it in terms of "revenge", but that's funny.  I'll have to play with that idea in the future.

What troubles me more, however, is the disturbing resonance between the wifebeater crowd and the christfag crowd (just to take a swipe at the general topic with the broadest paintbrush available).  Methinks they're one and the same.

Iason Ouabache

Quote from: Warfrog on August 13, 2008, 07:35:44 PM
Could be...  I never thought of it in terms of "revenge", but that's funny.  I'll have to play with that idea in the future.

What troubles me more, however, is the disturbing resonance between the wifebeater crowd and the christfag crowd (just to take a swipe at the general topic with the broadest paintbrush available).  Methinks they're one and the same.

The "christfag" are typically Pauline Christians.  And Paul/Saul had some real issues when it came to women.  Probably a repressed homosexual too.  :p

Card is a Mormon though, which is a whole 'nother ball of wax.
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

hooplala

I think Paul is responsible for a lot of what is wrong with Christianity.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

East Coast Hustle

I think it would be more accurate to refer to modern-day christianity as "paulism" in the first place.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

hooplala

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Iason Ouabache

Quote from: East Coast Hustle on August 13, 2008, 08:16:40 PM
I think it would be more accurate to refer to modern-day christianity as "paulism" in the first place.
Protestantism, yes.  Sola Scriptura is little more than raising a book to the place of god. It isn't so much Bible thumping as it is Bible-humping.  And they loooovve to quote Paul, especially if it gives them an excuse to insult others. 

Catholicism is a little more complicated though.  They believe in Prima scriptura, which spreads the bullshit around a little more.
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

hooplala

The entire concept of the passion is taken straight from Paul, though.

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman