News:

PD.com : We are the parents your children warned you about.

Main Menu

Orson Scott Card: Fundie Asshole

Started by Iason Ouabache, August 13, 2008, 08:21:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Random Probability

Quote from: Hoopla on August 13, 2008, 08:33:58 PM
The entire concept of the passion is taken straight from Paul, though.

Maybe it's just me, but I always giggle whenever anyone refers to the torture/execution of jesus as "the passion".

Guess he forgot his safe word....

Cain

Jesus and Paul = boring.

Orson Scott Card believing that Teh Gheys will steal our vital lifejuices = fascinating.

There is an entire treasure trove of crazy here http://www.ornery.org/essays/warwatch/index.html

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Iason Ouabache on August 13, 2008, 08:21:54 AM
http://www.ornery.org/essays/warwatch/2004-02-15-1.html

Apparently Orson Scott Card (author of Ender's Game) is an fundie asshole.  He goes through the entire anti-gay marriage playbook in one column including "they are redefining marriage", "activist judges are undemocratic", "it will destroy the very fabric of our civilization", "no society has ever allowed gay marriage", "marriage is not a right", "we will be branded bigots for telling fags that they are going to hell", "homosexuals are already allowed to marry people of the opposite sex", "homosexuals can't have normal relationships because they don't conform to traditional gender roles", "homosexuals can't raise children properly", "it will destroy everyone else's marriages", "WON'T SOMEONE THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!", etc. 

He really raises the bar though by suggesting that we should overthrow the government just because he doesn't want gay people to marry:

http://mormontimes.com/ME_blogs.php?id=1586

QuoteHow long before married people answer the dictators thus: Regardless of law, marriage has only one definition, and any government that attempts to change it is my mortal enemy. I will act to destroy that government and bring it down, so it can be replaced with a government that will respect and support marriage, and help me raise my children in a society where they will expect to marry in their turn.

Is there anyway we could give this guy his own rocket ship and tell him to never come back?

Read "Empire" some time.

Orson Scott Card is a wingnut of the first water.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on August 13, 2008, 10:31:38 PM
Jesus and Paul = boring.

Orson Scott Card believing that Teh Gheys will steal our vital lifejuices = fascinating.

There is an entire treasure trove of crazy here http://www.ornery.org/essays/warwatch/index.html

11-26-06
• Doonesbury vs. America 11-19-06

:lulz:

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Good Reverend Roger

I'm gonna fuck that website to death.   :lulz:

Requia ☣

Given that Card spent half a book ranting about tolerance for homosexuality, I was pretty shocked to hear about this.  Fucking mormon brainwashing ruined one of teh gay agenda's best brainwashers  :argh!:
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Requiem on August 13, 2008, 10:50:25 PM
Given that Card spent half a book ranting about tolerance for homosexuality, I was pretty shocked to hear about this.  Fucking mormon brainwashing ruined one of teh gay agenda's best brainwashers  :argh!:

Like I said, read Empire.

You will never read Orson Scott Card again.

Requia ☣

Is that one of his newer books?  Cause I tend to refuse to have anything to do with his newer stuff.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Requiem on August 13, 2008, 11:46:41 PM
Is that one of his newer books?  Cause I tend to refuse to have anything to do with his newer stuff.

Yes.  And it made me throw away his older books.

BADGE OF HONOR

I've read Ender's Shadow.  It was okay.  But not very good.
The Jerk On Bike rolled his eyes and tossed the waffle back over his shoulder--before it struck the ground, a stout, disconcertingly monkey-like dog sprang into the air and snatched it, and began to masticate it--literally--for the sound it made was like a homonculus squatting on the floor muttering "masticate masticate masticate".

Love

Quote from: Cain on August 13, 2008, 10:31:38 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHmESnuz6bs&NR=1

Cain,
thank you for the treasure trove. The interview above I linked plus the last article he posted at your treasure trove... One Party Rule Forever! 02-16-09
...does not appear to me as "the 'good' guys are fighting against the war." I don't want 2b what that fundie calls a 'good' guy. He reminds me more and more of Roy Williamson, who can create a fascinating treatise on memetics called 'thought particles' and his fundie perspective makes for psychedelic weirdness to my mind.

I still like the strategies he explains in Ender In exile, those are useful to me.

Ben

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Iason Ouabache on August 13, 2008, 08:21:54 AM
http://www.ornery.org/essays/warwatch/2004-02-15-1.html

Apparently Orson Scott Card (author of Ender's Game) is an fundie asshole.  He goes through the entire anti-gay marriage playbook in one column including "they are redefining marriage", "activist judges are undemocratic", "it will destroy the very fabric of our civilization", "no society has ever allowed gay marriage", "marriage is not a right", "we will be branded bigots for telling fags that they are going to hell", "homosexuals are already allowed to marry people of the opposite sex", "homosexuals can't have normal relationships because they don't conform to traditional gender roles", "homosexuals can't raise children properly", "it will destroy everyone else's marriages", "WON'T SOMEONE THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!", etc. 

He really raises the bar though by suggesting that we should overthrow the government just because he doesn't want gay people to marry:

http://mormontimes.com/ME_blogs.php?id=1586

QuoteHow long before married people answer the dictators thus: Regardless of law, marriage has only one definition, and any government that attempts to change it is my mortal enemy. I will act to destroy that government and bring it down, so it can be replaced with a government that will respect and support marriage, and help me raise my children in a society where they will expect to marry in their turn.

Is there anyway we could give this guy his own rocket ship and tell him to never come back?

His book "Empire" took me from being a fan to hating his guts in one poorly written novel.  I will never, ever buy anything he writes - or even has a story in - ever again.

Apparently, my 10 years in service are totally negated by the fact that I am left of center.