News:

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.

Main Menu

Eris As Goddess of Bureaucracy

Started by hooplala, August 14, 2008, 04:58:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hooplala

Was this just a joke of Kill and Thornley's?  Or, is there any evidence that the Greeks thought this?

Considering their highly negative view of Eris, I'm making the assumption that this was a joke, but does anyone know? 
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Cramulus

was what a joke? Who said she was a Goddess of Bureaucracy?

I think she is. Because I think the best way to break an ordered system back into disorder is to introduce way more order. I can totally see Eris as a Goddess of Bureaucracy - not as it's sole patroness, but more like a deity that hangs out there to get her lulz in.

I wrote about the Discordian relationship with Bureaucracy in the Parable of the Gong.

hooplala

It says somewhere in the PD, doesn't it?  Surely I didn't make this up myself and then delude myself into believing someone else wrote it... did I?

"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Cramulus

I don't see why she wouldn't be a patroness of bureaucracy

-she has a saint in charge of Bureaucracy (Zarathud)
-Chaos = Order + Disorder. So even Order (like Bureaucracy) is a part of Chaos. Sacred Chao and all that.

I think the Book of Uterus talks about that

fomenter

Quote from: Professor Cramulus on August 14, 2008, 05:04:44 PM
was what a joke? Who said she was a Goddess of Bureaucracy?

I think she is. Because I think the best way to break an ordered system back into disorder is to introduce way more order. I can totally see Eris as a Goddess of Bureaucracy - not as it's sole patroness, but more like a deity that hangs out there to get her lulz in.

I wrote about the Discordian relationship with Bureaucracy in the Parable of the Gong.

i don't know what kill Thornley or the Greeks thought on the subject but i agree with cramulus, what better place to find discord than a paper pushing, comity meeting attending, micromanaged environment of excess order. a bureaucrats budget will go up and they can hire and supervise more bureaucrats if they fail to get the job done.

i loved the gong parable :lulz:
"So she says to me, do you wanna be a BAD boy? And I say YEAH baby YEAH! Surf's up space ponies! I'm makin' gravy... Without the lumps. HAAA-ha-ha-ha!"

hmroogp

Cain

By the time the Greeks noted that complex systems tended to create new problems and break down frequently (for simplicity's sake, lets say the time of Thucydides), they weren't much into the mythology except as symbology deal.  Well, except those pricks in Athens, but there was a losing war, and the vote, and Socrates was subverting teh yoofs....

So its a modern invention, if you're asking.  However, that doesn't mean its not implied, as Cramulus laid it out.