News:

Hand drawn by monkeys in sweat-shop conditions.

Main Menu

Boozy Chocolate Cake

Started by Eve, August 16, 2008, 02:12:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eve

Bourbon Street Fudge Cake (aka Cake of Doom)

2 tsp cocoa powder + enough to line bundt pan
2 tsp instant coffee
¼ cup bourbon
5 oz unsweetened chocolate, finely chopped
½ lb unsalted butter, cubed
1¾ cups water
2 cups sugar
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
dash of salt
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla

Preheat oven to 275°F
Grease and dust bundt pan with cocoa powder
Combine water, instant coffee, and bourbon in saucepan over low heat for three minutes (make sure coffee crystals are completely dissolved).
Add chopped chocolate, butter, and sugar. Stir regularly until all ingredients are melted. Transfer mixture into clean bowl, let cool.
Add flour, baking soda, and salt (sifted for more even distribution) half a cup at a time. Beat for one minute after last half cup.
Add eggs and vanilla, beat until smooth.
Pour into bundt pan, bake for 1 hour and 20-30 minutes (until knife/toothpick inserted into cake comes out clean, yaddayadda)
Allow cake to cool before removing from pan; cake can crumble easily if not cool enough.

I forgot to take pictures when I made it, sorry. Some observations: the cake could use some sort of glaze (frosting would be too heavy, at least for my taste) but I think it tastes best with a nice scoop of vanilla beam ice cream or maybe raspberry sorbet; alternately, whipped cream and fresh berries. The bourbon taste was disappointingly faint at first, but it got significantly stronger within the next few days. I still might add more next time and cut the water a bit. Oh, and it freezes well, too!
Emotionally crippled narcissist.

Richter

::goes to see if Leln can be conned into baking this for family dinner::
:mrgreen:
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Nast

Booze and chocolate is perhaps the best combination, like drowning your sorrows in molten fudge. What can go wrong?

Quote from: Eve on August 16, 2008, 02:12:27 AM
Some observations: the cake could use some sort of glaze (frosting would be too heavy, at least for my taste) but I think it tastes best with a nice scoop of vanilla beam ice cream or maybe raspberry sorbet; alternately, whipped cream and fresh berries.

How about some creme fraiche with a touch of bourbon and vanilla in it? Or maybe with cardamom and orange zest?
"If I owned Goodwill, no charity worker would feel safe.  I would sit in my office behind a massive pile of cocaine, racking my pistol's slide every time the cleaning lady came near.  Auditors, I'd just shoot."

Eve

Ooh, fancy. :D I have to work my way up to things like that!

-Eve,
had to google cream fraiche

Jenne

I have all this shit EXCEPT the bundt pan.  :D

leln

Quote from: Richter on August 16, 2008, 01:24:47 PM
::goes to see if Leln can be conned into baking this for family dinner::
:mrgreen:

Thanks Eve! I finally got around to making this, and it's delicious. It actually reminded my mom of a cake her grandmother made that she wished she had the recipe for. The texture is great, and I like that you don't need much ice cream or whatever to go with it. I noticed the same thing you did about the initial bourbon flavor (I used a generous quarter cup), though it seemed stronger near the edges. Good job!  :D
[initially a "Rabid Wombat of the Eastern Intertubes." Now the] Glorious Peoples' Revolutionary Wombat of Wrath and Righteous Retribution.

"If you speak out of turn again, I will unscrew your neckpipe and use the resulting hole for my lavatory.  And I have one fuck of a case of the squirts today."

Eve

Yay! As a bonus to this cake: When I made it, I put half in the freezer and it was still moist and delicious (yeah, yeah, :lmnuendo:) two months later. Glad you liked it!