News:

PD.com: Better than a xylophone made out of live kittens that you play with a tazer.

Main Menu

Dear traditional-age college students.

Started by Suu, September 15, 2010, 02:54:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AFK

Heh, when I did undergrad, I think I mostly hung out with the non-trads.  I'm talking students in their 30s and 40s.  It helped they were all also part of the local folk music scene but they just seemed to be on a level that was more my speed. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Suu

Quote from: Triple Zero on September 15, 2010, 09:26:42 AM
Quote from: Doktor Princess on September 15, 2010, 02:54:00 AMIf you don't want to even TRY to learn, and instead sit there, make fun of the people who DO answer questions and participate, sneer, bitch about the professor and then answer that the capital of Canada is Vermont...GET THE FUCK OUT OF MY CLASSROOM.

You do NOT have to be in college. It's a goddamn privilege. You're not obligated to be there, in fact, you're PAYING to be there, instead of skirting by on the coattails of taxpayers.

You're a goddamn disgrace and a waste of a human being. Do me a favor, and get a job waiting tables, in fact, take mine, because I won't be needing it much longer...then again, don't, I'd hate to think of the idea of you counting my money or handling my food. Just...go jump off the fucking Newport Bridge.

Thanks.

Are you just posting this here, or also telling this to the kids?

Because it's not all that unreasonable to tell them what you're saying.

Remember you're no longer in highschool so you don't have to worry about the popularity ratings anymore and can say just what you think.

They are not forced to be in class and if they are just going to sit and chat with eachother instead of paying attention, they can simply do that somewhere else. Also, bring it up with the professor, because it's his/her responsibility to kindly ask the ones that are disturbing the class as well.

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt this week because it was the first class and all...next time I won't be nice. At least the students in my German class wanted to try (it was also half the size and they didn't have a choice because our professor was EVERYWHERE). These kids have this, "I know how to read a map so I don't need this stupid class" attitude...then again, when they mention the capital of Canada being Vermont, or Mexico being the state next to New Mexico, I think they need it more than they are willing to admit.

I was actually surprised with how much I DIDN'T know, and I'm pretty damn good at geography. It's a lot of information that's easy to forget or get confused, but there's no excuse for anyone in the United States to not know the states and capitals of our own country. I learned that shit in 1st grade and managed to retain it. So either they weren't taught them effectively (which is a good possibility) or Generation Y really doesn't give a fuck. And if that's the case, I'm disowning my sister....but even she knows that the capital of Canada is Ottawa.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Cain

One of my neighbours was doing a his PhD in history and I hung out with him a lot, but mostly I just hung around with my peers.  Well, the ones who weren't obnoxious upper class twits with no chins, Neocons (surprising number of them, considering), computer studies students (stop haxxing my brand new laptop) or business studies students.

Suu

Quote from: Rev. Where's-My-Hat? on September 15, 2010, 01:46:13 PM
Heh, when I did undergrad, I think I mostly hung out with the non-trads.  I'm talking students in their 30s and 40s.  It helped they were all also part of the local folk music scene but they just seemed to be on a level that was more my speed. 

After I left Florida State and went to IADT, I was with a lot more adult students there and the curriculum was much more intense (art school), so we didn't really fuck around. I just forgot what it's like to deal with typical university fuckoffs. They'll learn the hard way soon, I'm sure. If they were going to Brown or Johnson and Wales, I'd say they were beyond hope, but public schools aren't as forgiving where your parents can't buy the school a new library to make you pass.

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

East Coast Hustle

anybody who goes to Johnson & Wales is beyond hope.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Suu

Quote from: Exit City Hustle on September 15, 2010, 02:46:20 PM
anybody who goes to Johnson & Wales is beyond hope.

JWU is where kids who flunk out of URI go. Nothing like having to pay 3x as much for a BA (if even) diploma to make you feel better about yourself, even though I'll just end up waiting tables with you and chastising you for not knowing the capital of Massachusetts or something.

My personal favorite server said this, and I quote near verbatim:

"I was going to RIC (Rhode Island College) for nursing, but they wanted me to take a lot of anatomy classes, and I don't like anatomy so I failed and the state system wouldn't let me back in unless I took everything over, so I just went to JWU for restaurant management. I got my associates but I can't get a managing job anywhere! I mean, don't managers make like, 40 grand?!"

Jenne

I threw a student out of my lecture once at UCLA (something that's taboo, but I'd had enough of this jackass highjacking my material, disturbing the people who were there for a decent grade, and the fact he just showed up to mock me and those trying to pay attention really pissed me off).  I just told him if he hadn't read the material for the day, he didn't need to be there, that I'd mark him "present" but he didn't need to stick around.  He was happy to go.

But I got reprimanded for doing that.  It's a bullshit thing, and I think if your students show that level of disrespect, you should be able to just say "Bye" for the benefit of your sanity as a prof/teacher and the sake of the grades of those attending who give a shit.

Cain

"Wait, nursing involves knowing anatomy?  This course is bullshit."

Remington

Silly bastards. Everyone knows the capital of Canada is Toronto.
Is it plugged in?

Don Coyote

Fractalbeard

Quote from: Jenne on September 15, 2010, 03:25:03 PM
I threw a student out of my lecture once at UCLA (something that's taboo, but I'd had enough of this jackass highjacking my material, disturbing the people who were there for a decent grade, and the fact he just showed up to mock me and those trying to pay attention really pissed me off).  I just told him if he hadn't read the material for the day, he didn't need to be there, that I'd mark him "present" but he didn't need to stick around.  He was happy to go.

But I got reprimanded for doing that.  It's a bullshit thing, and I think if your students show that level of disrespect, you should be able to just say "Bye" for the benefit of your sanity as a prof/teacher and the sake of the grades of those attending who give a shit.

Damn, that sucks. At the one place I teach, the policy is that the students don't have the right to disrupt the class, and we can kick them out for the day. The other students are paying to get an education and the show you're giving them, they don't need to have the process ruined by some idiot.
Any technology distinguishable from magic is insuficiently advanced.

Triple Zero

Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

The Johnny

All the jackoffs ive took classes with will do ANYTHING but listen to what is being discussed or lectured on class.

I guess its about doing the least possible to achieve a diploma, so i guess they are just killing time.

For 4 years.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Doktor Princess on September 15, 2010, 02:54:00 AM
If you don't want to even TRY to learn, and instead sit there, make fun of the people who DO answer questions and participate, sneer, bitch about the professor and then answer that the capital of Canada is Vermont...GET THE FUCK OUT OF MY CLASSROOM.

You do NOT have to be in college. It's a goddamn privilege. You're not obligated to be there, in fact, you're PAYING to be there, instead of skirting by on the coattails of taxpayers.

You're a goddamn disgrace and a waste of a human being. Do me a favor, and get a job waiting tables, in fact, take mine, because I won't be needing it much longer...then again, don't, I'd hate to think of the idea of you counting my money or handling my food. Just...go jump off the fucking Newport Bridge.

Thanks.

Geez, Suu, don't get wrapped around the axle.  Just kick their pasty asses and be done with it.
Molon Lube

Suu

Quote from: Remington on September 15, 2010, 11:51:38 PM
Silly bastards. Everyone knows the capital of Canada is Toronto.

At least it's in the right province. :crankey: