News:

It's like that horrible screech you get when the microphone is positioned too close to a speaker, only with cops.

Main Menu

Homemade Hunchpunch Experiment

Started by Bruno, August 23, 2008, 10:15:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: triple zero on August 26, 2008, 02:25:39 PM
Quote from: Jenne on August 26, 2008, 12:18:59 AMFuckers are making it near-impossible to buy let alone TASTE those 100 pt on the scale vintages.  (And yes, there's a difference, to ME, of an 85 vs. a 98 pt wine.)

what's this point system?

you can rate quality of wine on a linear scale? how's that work? :)

:hammer:

Jenne

Quote from: LMNO on August 26, 2008, 01:57:13 PM
Quote from: Jenne on August 26, 2008, 12:18:59 AM
Ah yes, the "global warming" reason...*shrug*  It's as good as any, I suppose.  I just see more and more glut to the market of so-so wine, especially now that the "better" wines are being priced out of the market by those who collect and have the yachts and trust funds to do so.  Fuckers are making it near-impossible to buy let alone TASTE those 100 pt on the scale vintages.  (And yes, there's a difference, to ME, of an 85 vs. a 98 pt wine.)

Candian wines are pretty damned good, don't get me wrong.  But wine-making is just as much about culture as it is about farming and science.  There's a reason why some of the more international markets that have been around for DECADES are JUST NOW breaking in to the mainstream.

Actually, it's simple numbers.  Let's say there are 100 spaces for a bottle of wine in a store.  The Distributors, for this argument's sake, has 3 standards of wine quality: A (Gallo), B (Meridian) C (Justin)

If the vinyards offer an equal amount of A, B, and C wines to the distributor, then the store will generally follow suit.  But if the distibutor suddenly encounters a massive amount of B-level wineries who want to do business, they will obviously supply the wine store with more B.  It has nothing to do with wine snobs pricing out, and everything to do with the Wine Market pushing big for mid-level wines.

I would strongly suggest finding a smaller wine store and befriending the owner, or the main buyer.  They will gladly order top-shelf wines, if they know for sure there's an immediate demand for them.

It's the pricing so far out of range, LMNO, not the scarcity of them.  I can find any AMOUNT of any KIND of wine here in So Cal...I'm not limited by CHOICE, mind you, I'm limited by BUDGET.   Not to say that all $100 bottles are WORTH $100 anyway, but you get my meaning, right?

What I'm bitching about is the scales being tipped such that it's getting near-impossible to afford those 100-pt wines, and yes, they don't sell in bulk, I know that, but it's hard to even get a tasting of them they are becoming so exclusive.  When I was selling for Geerlings and Wade, I was able to at least see them on the menus at the 5-star restos and whatnot...now they are not even making it to THOSE places anymore, too far out of reach.

And truthfully, I do prefer boutique winery wines...hence the amount of them that I consume (I'd love to say, hence the amount of them in my wine rack, but I tend to drink more than I keep back, alas and alack).

Jenne

Quote from: Cainad on August 26, 2008, 03:02:28 PM
Quote from: Jenne on August 26, 2008, 12:18:59 AMFuckers are making it near-impossible to buy let alone TASTE those 100 pt on the scale vintages.  (And yes, there's a difference, to ME, of an 85 vs. a 98 pt wine.)

NOT doing it.  :p

Iason Ouabache

Quote from: Jenne on August 25, 2008, 07:50:40 PM
Amen.

*not rising to Cainad's bait itt* :p

Also, I just read that the Midwestern US is breaking into the wine-making market.  Whoo-boy...
Couple of days behind but... Oliver Winery in Bloomington, IN has a good/cheap soft red.  They don't have any vintage wines though.
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Triple Zero

Quote from: Jenne on August 26, 2008, 08:46:59 PM
Quote from: Cainad on August 26, 2008, 03:02:28 PM

NOT doing it.  :p

i personally prefer a fractal scale, that is,

if C represents a Complex Wine,
and Z is initialized at 0 + 0i,

i rate them based on the number of iterations Z := Z2 + C needed before |Z| escapes the radius-two circle, and flies off to infinity.

best wines are found only on the "inside".
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

LMNO

Quote from: Jenne on August 26, 2008, 08:46:40 PM
It's the pricing so far out of range, LMNO, not the scarcity of them.  I can find any AMOUNT of any KIND of wine here in So Cal...I'm not limited by CHOICE, mind you, I'm limited by BUDGET.   Not to say that all $100 bottles are WORTH $100 anyway, but you get my meaning, right?

What I'm bitching about is the scales being tipped such that it's getting near-impossible to afford those 100-pt wines, and yes, they don't sell in bulk, I know that, but it's hard to even get a tasting of them they are becoming so exclusive.  When I was selling for Geerlings and Wade, I was able to at least see them on the menus at the 5-star restos and whatnot...now they are not even making it to THOSE places anymore, too far out of reach.

And truthfully, I do prefer boutique winery wines...hence the amount of them that I consume (I'd love to say, hence the amount of them in my wine rack, but I tend to drink more than I keep back, alas and alack).

You know, this might be an East Coast/West Coast problem.  I can find quite a few 95-100 point wines for $30-$50 in Boston.  You might be a victim of the fact that San Diego is filled with pretentious douchebags (as opposed to Boston, which is filled with more garden-variety douchebags);  There might be less demand for top-notch wines, so the prices are lower.

Richter

Depending on the douchebag, I've heard absolutely offensive Cabernet lauded for it's "kick".  It's more fun to sample for what I find I like anyways :)

Conversely, I've had some Nappa Valley chardonnay which makes most other white wine seem like trash in comparison.
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Bruno

Fermentation had slowed considerably despite the fact that there was still plenty of sugar left. I gave it CPR this morning with the bubble stone and air pump, and turned off the A/C before leaving for class. Fermentation has since picked back up.
Formerly something else...

Triple Zero

i just made booze.

1L of apple juice + 2 cups of sugar + activated yeast, in a 1.5L plastic coke bottle with the cap screwed on slightly loose. (everything properly desinfected and rinsed, of course)

hope it'll turn out allright
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

Jenne

Quote from: LMNO on August 27, 2008, 01:36:03 PM
Quote from: Jenne on August 26, 2008, 08:46:40 PM

You know, this might be an East Coast/West Coast problem.  I can find quite a few 95-100 point wines for $30-$50 in Boston.  You might be a victim of the fact that San Diego is filled with pretentious douchebags (as opposed to Boston, which is filled with more garden-variety douchebags);  There might be less demand for top-notch wines, so the prices are lower.

THAT might be a contributing factor here on the Left coast...true.

Bruno

Quote from: triple zero on August 28, 2008, 01:25:27 AM
i just made booze.

1L of apple juice + 2 cups of sugar + activated yeast, in a 1.5L plastic coke bottle with the cap screwed on slightly loose. (everything properly desinfected and rinsed, of course)

hope it'll turn out allright

Was this bread yeast? It should work, I think rum is made with bread yeast.

If the yeast starts getting lazy, you might want to try shaking it to aerate. Squeeze the CO2 out first and replace it with fresh air.

Jerry_Frankster, tired of saying "aerate".

Triple Zero

yes, yes and yes :) i've done this before ;-) [but not exactly in this particular super easy way]

Bruno

Last night I siphoned the wine off of the yeast and into 1 gallon milk jugs. I'm a little worried that fermentation seems to be dragging along slowly while there is still sugar left unfermented.