News:

PD.COM:  Mindlessly hitting the refresh button for weeks on end.

Main Menu

Homemade Hunchpunch Experiment

Started by Bruno, August 23, 2008, 10:15:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raphaella

The sun shall be turned to darkness and the moon into blood before the coming of the great and terrible OZ

AFK

Quote from: Cainad on August 25, 2008, 04:13:55 PM
Quote from: Squiddy on August 25, 2008, 05:10:44 AM
Dude you have to tell us how this turns out.
i'm interested in hearing about it, but wouldnt try it myself.

i did however buy some of those muscadine grapes that only grow around here (south east) and i now see where that weird flavor/wang in florida wine comes from.

They put wangs in their wine there? :?

Yes, but unfortunately the older wines have a weak finish. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on August 25, 2008, 06:15:54 PM
Quote from: Cainad on August 25, 2008, 04:13:55 PM
Quote from: Squiddy on August 25, 2008, 05:10:44 AM
Dude you have to tell us how this turns out.
i'm interested in hearing about it, but wouldnt try it myself.

i did however buy some of those muscadine grapes that only grow around here (south east) and i now see where that weird flavor/wang in florida wine comes from.

They put wangs in their wine there? :?

Yes, but unfortunately the older wines have a weak finish. 

Fine by me, man. As long as it's fractal and not that linear shit.

Jenne

Amen.

*not rising to Cainad's bait itt* :p

Also, I just read that the Midwestern US is breaking into the wine-making market.  Whoo-boy...

BADGE OF HONOR

Quote from: Jenne on August 25, 2008, 07:50:40 PM
Amen.

Also, I just read that the Midwestern US is breaking into the wine-making market.  Whoo-boy...

Ah yes, I detect a faint overtone of Walmart in this young, corn-fed wine.
The Jerk On Bike rolled his eyes and tossed the waffle back over his shoulder--before it struck the ground, a stout, disconcertingly monkey-like dog sprang into the air and snatched it, and began to masticate it--literally--for the sound it made was like a homonculus squatting on the floor muttering "masticate masticate masticate".

Jenne

Quote from: Rabid Badger of God on August 25, 2008, 09:24:14 PM
Quote from: Jenne on August 25, 2008, 07:50:40 PM
Amen.

Ah yes, I detect a faint overtone of Walmart in this young, corn-fed wine.

:lulz:  Exactly.  They are importing their grapes.

Though, I should have realized it was all over when New York State started making wine.

East Coast Hustle

actually, there are some very good ports from eastern Long Island.

and we carry a white varietal at the restaurant I work at that comes from the finger lakes region (we don't carry wines that aren't good).

Grape growing regions are shifting due to climate change. Ontario is emerging as a grape-growing region and most of the major french wineries are buying property in southern England and transplanting vines there as we speak.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Jenne

Ah yes, the "global warming" reason...*shrug*  It's as good as any, I suppose.  I just see more and more glut to the market of so-so wine, especially now that the "better" wines are being priced out of the market by those who collect and have the yachts and trust funds to do so.  Fuckers are making it near-impossible to buy let alone TASTE those 100 pt on the scale vintages.  (And yes, there's a difference, to ME, of an 85 vs. a 98 pt wine.)

Candian wines are pretty damned good, don't get me wrong.  But wine-making is just as much about culture as it is about farming and science.  There's a reason why some of the more international markets that have been around for DECADES are JUST NOW breaking in to the mainstream.

East Coast Hustle

umm...

I have no problem finding wines that rate between 88 and 92 for around $20 a bottle.

and usually no problem finding 95-98 for under $50.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Jenne

Well, goodie for YOU.  I have no problem FINDING them...can ya AFFORD a shitload of them though?  No.  A case of $50 wine (and I bet the 100s will never be found in that price category) is NOT in my price range all that often, if at all...

East Coast Hustle

you need to get yourself a wholesale connection. Wine generally carries a much higher markup at the retail level than either beer or liquor.

Bruno

I guess I'm just blessed with a taste for vinegary wines.

Bring us some fresh wine! The freshest you've got - this year! No more of this old stuff.
                                                       \
Formerly something else...

East Coast Hustle

you're one of those people who looks forward to Nouveau Beaujolais, aren't you?

Jenne

I would love to, ECH...but unless I get back into the "bidness," I'm sort of at a loss...luckily, I live in California.  So, it's not like I am without resources...boutique wineries are my garden, so I'm actually NOT at sea here at all.

But stuff from France, Spain and Italy that's worth drinking is pretty much shit for prices at this point.  So fuck 'em...I'll stick to South African, New Zealand, Australian and Argentinians for now.

Jenne

Quote from: East Coast Hustle on August 26, 2008, 02:03:48 AM
you're one of those people who looks forward to Nouveau Beaujolais, aren't you?

:lol:

That wine so sucks.  Talk about flabby.  :lol: