News:

I just don't understand any kind of absolute egalitarianism philosophy. Whether it's branded as anarcho-capitalism or straight anarchism or sockfucking libertarianism, it always misses the same point.

Main Menu

Books That No One Should Read

Started by A.N. Other, August 27, 2008, 04:38:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stella

Quote from: Enki-][ on November 04, 2008, 12:09:44 AM
Meh. Jesus was a pretty cool guy -- became gnostic demiurge and doesn't afraid of crucifiction. Too bad most christians have no idea who he is.
I like Matthew 23 because it sounds like he's talking about Christians.  :lulz:

Iason Ouabache

Quote from: stella on November 13, 2008, 12:10:15 AM
Quote from: Enki-][ on November 04, 2008, 12:09:44 AM
Meh. Jesus was a pretty cool guy -- became gnostic demiurge and doesn't afraid of crucifiction. Too bad most christians have no idea who he is.
I like Matthew 23 because it sounds like he's talking about Christians.  :lulz:

:mittens: The Evangelicals are the new Pharisees. 

"You blind guides! You strain out a gnat but swallow a camel. "
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Sepia

Everything from the pen of Warren Ellis that isn't transmetropolitan. If you've read transmetro, you've also read anything else he's written so there's no need but warren ellis is a terrible writer.

Aldous Huxley's Eyeless in Gaza because that is some boring shit.

Also thinking that don quixote is in the same category as the bible or other religious scripture.

aaaand the complete WHEEL OF TIME, which is drivel and the only thing that could have supported me rereading the filth once more was that if it would have had a decent conclusion but now?
Everyone will always be too late

Cain

I'd read it up until the sixth, but it becomes pretty obvious that Rand is not going to go insane and destroy the world anytime soon, which is all you are really after by that point in the series.

Reginald Ret

i made it up to seven i think, that series made it very clear that i have a problem, i am Regret and i'm a storyfinishing addict.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Rococo Modem Basilisk

Quote from: brennschluss on November 27, 2008, 06:12:06 PM
Everything from the pen of Warren Ellis that isn't transmetropolitan. If you've read transmetro, you've also read anything else he's written so there's no need but warren ellis is a terrible writer.

I saw this post just after I put down volume 3 of transmetropolitan (finished) and reloaded my page.

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

Cain

Quote from: Regret on November 28, 2008, 12:30:31 AM
i made it up to seven i think, that series made it very clear that i have a problem, i am Regret and i'm a storyfinishing addict.

I made it up to seven as well.  Real life intervened though, and I broke the habit, before finishing the other five, or however many there are (I have them all on my hard drive, somewhere).

Kai

Quote from: Cain on November 28, 2008, 12:17:46 PM
Quote from: Regret on November 28, 2008, 12:30:31 AM

I made it up to seven as well.  Real life intervened though, and I broke the habit, before finishing the other five, or however many there are (I have them all on my hard drive, somewhere).

I've read all of them, and the last one will be coming out soon.

Its hard to find good high fantasy. Theres always something flawed about the main character writing in these books. Salvatore's Drizzt, for example. His villains are so much deeper.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Cain

You would probably like Fire and Ice then.  It doesn't really have a main character per say, but given the series owes about as much to Machiavelli as it does Tolkein, it may be exceptional in many senses.  I agree about alot of High Fantasy being cliche ridden and having somewhat one-dimensional main characters.

I mean, the Wheel of Time series was certainly a classic, and stood above the rest, but its a bloody long slog to go when the conclusion (and if it fits in with the overall series) is still somewhat up in the air.  I hope his wife can finish it convincingly, but its not a given.  Which is worrying.

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: Cain on November 28, 2008, 02:17:31 PM
You would probably like Fire and Ice then.  It doesn't really have a main character per say, but given the series owes about as much to Machiavelli as it does Tolkein, it may be exceptional in many senses.  I agree about alot of High Fantasy being cliche ridden and having somewhat one-dimensional main characters.

I mean, the Wheel of Time series was certainly a classic, and stood above the rest, but its a bloody long slog to go when the conclusion (and if it fits in with the overall series) is still somewhat up in the air.  I hope his wife can finish it convincingly, but its not a given.  Which is worrying.

Most of this is true of The Prince of Nothing too.

Quercus

Tolstoy. It's long. I did kind of like war and peace though.
PLEASE PRINT ALIGNMENT PAGE

Pariah

The Chosen
Well I guess it wasn't horrible.
Just tremendously dull.
Play safe! Ski only in a clockwise direction! Let's all have fun together!

Precious Moments Zalgo

Quote from: Manta Obscura on October 28, 2008, 08:59:53 PMI concur with everyone who said not to read the Bible, excepting a few parts:
1) The Song of Solomon.
2) Some of the Psalms.
3) Some of the stuff Jesus said.
4) The Book of Job.
I don't know.  Job drags on and on there in the middle.  Maybe it's an interesting read if you just read the first couple of chapters and then skip to the part near the end where Elihu says "and Heeeeeeeeeeeeere's God!"

I think the Psalms all suck.  David just whines and moans about how everyone is out to get him.  Dear God, you are so great, my enemies do evil yet they prosper, I am awesome yet I suffer, please smite all my enemies, you are so great, don't forget me and how great I am, amen.  There, you just read every psalm.  :D

Granted, Nehemiah was much worse than David about the whole "Hey God!  Pay attention to me and see how great I am!", but at least his book was short.  And he kicked peoples asses and held them in a headlock while he plucked out their hair instead of just whining and playing a harp.

Even better (or at least funnier) than Song of Solomon, is John Wesley's commentary on Song of Solomon, where he strains the metaphorical capability of the English language past its limits in his futile attempt to make SoS into something other than a poetic Penthouse letter.

I think that verse-for-verse, Numbers, Joshua, and Judges are the most action-packed books in the Bible.  I'd like to see those made into a trilogy by the same folks that did 300.

For philosophy and wisdom, I think Ecclesiastes is the best book.

There's good advice in Proverbs, but there's even more bad advice.  I haven't actually counted, but it's probably close to 40% good to 60% bad.  If you're smart enough to figure out which is which, then you don't need the book, so Proverbs is worthless.  That also goes for moral advice in the whole Bible, but THAT ratio is probably more like 25:75 good to bad, and if you're capable of discerning which is which, then you don't need a book to teach you right from wrong.

Oh yeah, I also enjoyed the book of Esther.  I thought the whole Mordecai / Haman subplot was hilarious.

The rest of the Bible is crap. 

Unless, of course, you're looking for a good way to make money off of suckers.  But that's been done.
I will answer ANY prayer for $39.95.*

*Unfortunately, I cannot give refunds in the event that the answer is no.

Iason Ouabache

You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Lilith Complex

Well, if we're talking about parts of the Bible someone SHOULD read, I always liked the Book of Ruth. I mean, c'mon, that was one lesbian couple if I ever saw one. It was quite moving, actually.]

Oh, and hi.