News:

Testimonial: "It's just honestly sad that a place like this exists"

Main Menu

Books That No One Should Read

Started by A.N. Other, August 27, 2008, 04:38:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

Lilith Complex

Aww, see? This just shows how little I get out. I STILL haven't read any of her stuff.

I guess I have a fond place in my heart for the Book of Ruth because it's in, apparently, the most unlikely place of all.

Precious Moments Zalgo

Quote from: Lilith Complex on February 08, 2009, 08:15:37 PM
Well, if we're talking about parts of the Bible someone SHOULD read, I always liked the Book of Ruth. I mean, c'mon, that was one lesbian couple if I ever saw one. It was quite moving, actually.
Another fun thing about Ruth is that we learn that David is an octaroon, so according to the anti-miscegenation laws in force at the time, he shouldn't have even been allowed to attend church, much less have been allowed to be king.  I guess people have always picked and chosen which the parts of the Bible to follow and which parts to ignore.

Quote from: Lilith ComplexOh, and hi.
Howdy.  :wave:
I will answer ANY prayer for $39.95.*

*Unfortunately, I cannot give refunds in the event that the answer is no.

Requia ☣

Whats with all the lurkers/newbies in this thread?

Not that I mind, since you seem to be non lame.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

This thread seduces them out of the shadows.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Lilith Complex

Quote from: Requiem on February 09, 2009, 04:51:09 AM
We all have to start somewhere?

Quote from: Requiem
Not that I mind, since you seem to be non lame.
I'll take that as a compliment?

Faust

Quote from: brennschluss on November 27, 2008, 06:12:06 PM
Everything from the pen of Warren Ellis that isn't transmetropolitan. If you've read transmetro, you've also read anything else he's written so there's no need but warren ellis is a terrible writer.
I agree to an extent.
Doctor sleepless seems like an extension of the train of thought he had going in transmet, however I like his take on the changing roll of technology in culture.
He cant write women. Or rather he has been writing the same Diva over and over. The two girls in transmet basically had the same personality, they were also the same as his emma frost/storm, jenny sparks,  anna mercury etc.

Planetary was light on content, it was more a commentary on comics in general(as opposed to parody with The Authority), However its art was fantastic and its atmosphere was great and definitely not the same as transmet.

Overall he is not a great writer but he does some things well enough to make him worth reading, especially if the medium of comics where most everything is mediocre to bad.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Precious Moments Zalgo

Quote from: Requiem on February 09, 2009, 04:51:09 AM
Dunno, just felt like I had something interesting to say on the subject.  I haven't been lurking all this time (that would be creepy) -- I just logged back on after being away for about a year or so.

Quote from: RequiemNot that I mind, since you seem to be non lame.
I read the "Attention, N00bs" thread before I posted anything.

Requia ☣

Good job, now go read the entire TFYS,S archive, as well as at least one thread involving Wade, Daruko, or AKK, and you should be caught up.

Vene

Quote from: Requiem on February 09, 2009, 10:38:17 PM
Good job, now go read the entire TFYS,S archive, as well as at least one thread involving Wade, Daruko, IANAR, and AKK, and you should be caught up.
Fix't for :asplode:

Requia ☣

IANAR is too horrible to inflict on the newbies.  After he's had a chance to acclimate maybe.

Precious Moments Zalgo

Quote from: Requiem on February 09, 2009, 10:38:17 PMGood job, now go read the entire TFYS,S archive,
There's 9 pages of threads in there.  I think I'll just take a look at the 17 page noobie thread and then see what else looks compelling.

Quote from: Requiemas well as at least one thread involving Wade, Daruko, or AKK, and you should be caught up.
I did find this thread about Wade, but I couldn't find him in the members list, so I didn't read anything he wrote. 

I did find Daruko, AKK and IANAR.  People who self-diagnose with Asperger's (not the people who really have it, but the people who read the list of symptoms and think, "I don't give a shit about other people -- I must have Asperger's!") are always fun to have around.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Requiem on February 10, 2009, 12:08:25 AM
IANAR is too horrible to inflict on the newbies.  After he's had a chance to acclimate maybe.

Fuck that.  Go for broke.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Requia ☣

Quote from: PastorMullahZappathruster on February 10, 2009, 03:34:50 AM
Quote from: Requiem on February 09, 2009, 10:38:17 PMGood job, now go read the entire TFYS,S archive,
There's 9 pages of threads in there.  I think I'll just take a look at the 17 page noobie thread and then see what else looks compelling.

That Newbie thread is *supposed* to be hundreds of pages long, bloody purges.

Quote from: Requiemas well as at least one thread involving Wade, Daruko, or AKK, and you should be caught up.
I did find this thread about Wade, but I couldn't find him in the members list, so I didn't read anything he wrote. 

I did find Daruko, AKK and IANAR.  People who self-diagnose with Asperger's (not the people who really have it, but the people who read the list of symptoms and think, "I don't give a shit about other people -- I must have Asperger's!") are always fun to have around.

Wade changes his name constantly.  Think he's Map & Compass right now.  Look for the freshest hampster droppings, they lead to his current nest.

Lilith Complex

Well, far be it from me, a lowly noobsaucestress, to tell other noobs how to behave or what to do, but I CAN generally summarize this Wade person pretty quickly, from what little I've seen.

He's a misogynist, and a dickhole, and no one around here likes him, as far as I can tell.

Did I miss anything?