News:

One day, I shall make the news feed. Then they'll see. Then they'll all see! Mwahahahaha!!!!

Main Menu

Books That No One Should Read

Started by A.N. Other, August 27, 2008, 04:38:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faust

Quote from: Cain on March 22, 2009, 12:33:04 AM
I still contend the Bible sucks.
It was the best work of sci-fi/fantasy out for a long time.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Cain

I contend that, with few exceptions, fantasy as a genre sucks, and is the domain of hacks.

Rococo Modem Basilisk

Quote from: Cain on March 23, 2009, 11:56:24 AM
I contend that, with few exceptions, fantasy as a genre sucks, and is the domain of hacks.

I should bring up that for a long time, PKD was essentially the epitome of a sci-fi hack writer. Even the later stuff is in really awful cliche sci-fi style. He used that as a jumping off point for good stuff. That by itself makes a good case (for me) for awful hack genres.

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

A.N. Other

Quote from: Cain on March 23, 2009, 09:23:00 AM
Quote from: Laughtrack on March 23, 2009, 02:48:34 AM
The link I put in my first post to the recaps? She explains it. According to her (and I agree) it fulfills every dimwitted teeny bopper/teenaged girl/stupid woman/soccer mom's deep-seated need to Mary Sue and have that impossible fairy tale love.

Never mind that that love is a creepy, passive aggressive, emotionally stunted, bipolar stalker and the beloved is an unmitigated wretch.

100% correct.

It gets even creepier if you consider that

a) the narrator might be unreliable (ie it really is an abusive relationship - beyond the already mentioned factors)
b) the worrying implications of "imprinting", both generally and in the particular case of Jacob on Bella's daughter
c) Jacob is named after Meyer's brother, and Bella is clearly an Author Avatar for Meyers.  For those who don't understand the implications of that, Jacob and Bella fall in love in the series.
d) Combine the above two for a REALLY SICK scenario
e) Werewolf done Ceasarian-sections (man seeing that in the films is going to be awesome.  From romance to gore in 60 secs flat)
f) necrophilia.  Full stop.

Its a shame this series is protected by copyright, as I'd love to rewrite the series where the above implications are actually played out to their logical conclusions (ie Bella murdered in a fit of rage, Edward Cullen as a sexually dysfuctional control freak with serious masochistic tendencies) and see if I could sell that to the publishers.  The same ones, even.  I do know there are Buffy/Twilight crossovers out there, so its not entirely unthought of.

Well, there are the parodies of Lord of the Rings (Bored of the Rings) and Harry Potter (Barry Trotter and the Unauthorized Parody), so why not write a parody? I'm sure these books are copyrighted. There is also something called Fair Use which deals with using copyrighted works.
"Wow, for an asshole, everyone loves you, honey." -My wife

Faust

true, with very few exceptions. My problem with Sci-fi and Fantasy is how the impossible aspects such as technology or powers are used as a weak crutch to progress a bad story rather then a metaphorical tool to strengthen an already good story.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I contend that, with few exceptions, writing sucks, and is the domain of hacks.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Rococo Modem Basilisk

Quote from: Nigel on March 23, 2009, 06:04:42 PM

GOLDEN TACO AWARD :taco: FOR BESTEST REDUCTIO AD ABSURDAM

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

Cain

Quote from: Enki-][ on March 23, 2009, 07:28:15 PM

But its true.

Rococo Modem Basilisk

Quote from: Cain on March 23, 2009, 07:31:53 PM

That's my point. It makes the "I contend that, with a few exceptions, X sucks, and is the domain of hacks" argument seem silly. Which it is, if we believe Sturgeon's Law (90% of everything is shit).
But its true.

Sheered Völva

I contend that, with few exceptions, awards suck, and are the domain of hacks.

Cainad (dec.)

I contend that, with few exceptions, forums suck, and are the domain of hacks.

Cainad (dec.)

TRY AND REFUTE THAT WHILE KEEPING A STRAIGHT FACE YOU FUCKS

Sheered Völva

Quote from: Cainad on March 23, 2009, 08:37:37 PM
Quote from: Cainad on March 23, 2009, 08:38:20 PM
TRY AND REFUTE THAT WHILE KEEPING A STRAIGHT FACE YOU FUCKS

I couldn't even read it with a straight face.

I FAIL!  :lulz:

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cainad on March 23, 2009, 08:37:37 PM

:potd:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

BADGE OF HONOR

Quote from: Cain on March 23, 2009, 09:23:00 AM
Quote from: Laughtrack on March 23, 2009, 02:48:34 AM
The link I put in my first post to the recaps? She explains it. According to her (and I agree) it fulfills every dimwitted teeny bopper/teenaged girl/stupid woman/soccer mom's deep-seated need to Mary Sue and have that impossible fairy tale love.

Never mind that that love is a creepy, passive aggressive, emotionally stunted, bipolar stalker and the beloved is an unmitigated wretch.

100% correct.

It gets even creepier if you consider that

a) the narrator might be unreliable (ie it really is an abusive relationship - beyond the already mentioned factors)
b) the worrying implications of "imprinting", both generally and in the particular case of Jacob on Bella's daughter
c) Jacob is named after Meyer's brother, and Bella is clearly an Author Avatar for Meyers.  For those who don't understand the implications of that, Jacob and Bella fall in love in the series.
d) Combine the above two for a REALLY SICK scenario
e) Werewolf done Ceasarian-sections (man seeing that in the films is going to be awesome.  From romance to gore in 60 secs flat)
f) necrophilia.  Full stop.

Its a shame this series is protected by copyright, as I'd love to rewrite the series where the above implications are actually played out to their logical conclusions (ie Bella murdered in a fit of rage, Edward Cullen as a sexually dysfuctional control freak with serious masochistic tendencies) and see if I could sell that to the publishers.  The same ones, even.  I do know there are Buffy/Twilight crossovers out there, so its not entirely unthought of.

Write it anyway and seed it on fanfiction sites.
The Jerk On Bike rolled his eyes and tossed the waffle back over his shoulder--before it struck the ground, a stout, disconcertingly monkey-like dog sprang into the air and snatched it, and began to masticate it--literally--for the sound it made was like a homonculus squatting on the floor muttering "masticate masticate masticate".