News:

If you really want to hurt your parents, and you don't have the nerve to be a homosexual, the least you can do is go into the arts. But do not use semicolons. They are transvestite hermaphrodites, standing for absolutely nothing. All they do is show you've been to college.

Main Menu

I got fooled.

Started by Requia ☣, August 28, 2008, 03:55:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Requia ☣

I got fooled by Obama. So help me he seemed right. Obama ran on promises of transparency, and holding accountable those that participated in the raping of our liberties since pretty much before I was born. He had all the right positions on technology and the Patent system. Despite myself, I started to have hope in the system. That things really can change.

Hope tends to addle peoples brains like that.

Since then, I've watched as he gave up his position on campaign finance reform, so that he can rake in the benefit of massive donations, watched as he decided that changing the law to allow widespread wiretapping was more important then ensuring those complicit in the last 20 years of eavesdropping are held accountable.

So I'm back here, to rant into empty cyberspace once more, and to watch and to wait. And when the messiah turns out to be another compromised politician, who will give your money to the rich, and strip away what little rights haven't been taken already; I will laugh.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

The Good Reverend Roger

And this is different than every election since the fucking ink was still wet on the constitution...HOW?

Get over it.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

nostalgicBadger

Sorry about the disillusionment, Requiem, but what exactly did you expect? Liberal, conservative, it really doesn't matter. By the time you're running for president, you've already been filtered through the party system. The nearest thing to honest politicians are the ones who can fund their own campaigns, or enough at least to run as an independent, but voting for an independent is essentially a waste of a vote anyway. Even if an independent could get elected, he could not get anything passed through the house or senate.

Presidents are figureheads. If you want a real change, start a revolution.
meh.

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Quote from: nostalgicBadger on August 28, 2008, 08:44:07 AM
Sorry about the disillusionment, Requiem, but what exactly did you expect? Liberal, conservative, it really doesn't matter. By the time you're running for president, you've already been filtered through the party system. The nearest thing to honest politicians are the ones who can fund their own campaigns, or enough at least to run as an independent, but voting for an independent is essentially a waste of a vote anyway. Even if an independent could get elected, he could not get anything passed through the house or senate.

Presidents are figureheads. If you want a real change, start a revolution.

A friend of mine started a revolution last week.

He stole a chevy and was speeding west on some train tracks when he realized this wasn't what he wanted to do.

So he bailed out of the moving car and landed in the forest, which he couldn't get out of for a few days.

The ambulance came and took him to the psych ward. He's there now seething under a cloud of powerful drugs.

True story.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

rong

if you want a real change, change your mind.
"a real smart feller, he felt smart"

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on August 28, 2008, 04:20:33 AM
And this is different than every election since the fucking ink was still wet on the constitution...HOW?

Get over it.

When you're young and full of naive hope, four years feels like long enough for things to start being different. :sad:

AFK

What TGRR said.

And also, -10 pts for using the Fox News "messiah" bullshit. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Ari

If you could do something to actually change a damn thing in our modern plutocracy - it would be forbidden.
Even if we manage to educated more people about the idiocy that runs rampant in this world of ours, it is too late. Too many people are already comfortable just dragging their body towards death, ignoring the perversion that distorted their brain; so I decided to work towards the giant collapse - the sooner it happens the better - in my naive hope that something smarter may arise from the ruins.
パンクビッチ

Jenne

Well, you can either accept the inevitable and get defeated and do nothing, or you can accept the inevitable and still go on as you were before.  You have to weigh the consequences of each and see how much self-respect you get out of either.  From there you move on to continuing to give a shit or not, it's always up to you.

If EVERYONE decided that it's too difficult to deal with the consequences of giving a shit and doing something about it...and decided fuckitall, I'm done...what would happen?

hooplala

Your country would become France.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Ari

In the unlikely event that everybody (without exception) chooses to be too troubled by the consequences of giving a shit and doing something about it we will probably end up without someone launching the first nuke and from there it is just a matter of minutes till enough crazy shit is flying through the air that we might as well not have to think about any other consequences ever again.
Or we just enjoy that stale, thick moment of stagnation until the first person gets bored and starts to give a shit again and does something about it.

Yet, what about those that choose to not accept the inevitable as inevitable for lack of evidence that the inevitable is in fact - inevitable?
パンクビッチ

Jenne

I guess you'll have to either keep up the campaign to inform them or leave them be.

Roo

QuoteIf EVERYONE decided that it's too difficult to deal with the consequences of giving a shit and doing something about it...and decided fuckitall, I'm done...what would happen?

Isn't that pretty much what's going on now?

Jenne

Quote from: Roo on August 28, 2008, 07:16:49 PM
QuoteIf EVERYONE decided that it's too difficult to deal with the consequences of giving a shit and doing something about it...and decided fuckitall, I'm done...what would happen?

Isn't that pretty much what's going on now?

Do you REALLY think that?

Ari

I think that we live in a world where most people don't give a shit about real issues and of course won't do anything about it because they are comfortable in their state of mindless ignorance.
Why worry about how to better the world when you can just choose to live in blissful ignorance? Why bother to really go through long mental processes when you can choose to just eat the brainnumbing propaganda some major publisher wants to shove down your throat? They will shove anyways, so why not just open wide and learn to not gag while they fill you up with their creamy bullshit?

Some already know too much, or gave certain things too much thought. It feels wrong somehow, to give in to the perverted ideas of modern society. In time the propaganda will have adapted and give us a new feel of what is natural; then the last bits of thought crime will be eliminated and we can all enjoy being stupid and just doing our share for the big machine.

Be it due to intelligence, pride, trauma, madness, obsession to rebel - a part of humanity won't just swallow this crap, no matter how hard it's being shoved in... These people will have be taken care of; or they will take care of the machine. Which obviously can't be allowed. The strange times are also interesting times - the final battle is already raging. Silently for some, and others are kicking and screaming until the drugs kick in again.

Meh; (yay for even more semicolons) I shouldn't just rant away without proper structure and without knowing where I am going with it. Ah well, time for my pizza; factory made of course, nicely decorated with pressed chicken, spinach and some kind of sauce - randomly puked onto it by some robot. HUZZA!
パンクビッチ