News:

That line from the father's song in Mary Poppins, where he's going on about how nothing can go wrong, in Britain in 1910.  That's about the point I realized the boy was gonna die in a trench.

Main Menu

I got fooled.

Started by Requia ☣, August 28, 2008, 03:55:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Requia ☣

Quote from: Jenne on August 29, 2008, 01:26:12 PM

HE WAS NO FUCKING GEORGE DUBYA BUSH.

A monkey could have done a better job than W, being better than him is not an accomplishment.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Requia ☣

No, I didn't.  Please point me to where I said Clinton was responsible for nothing.  I think you mistake my own argument for NB's.

Actually, it was Singer that said that, apologies.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

hooplala

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on August 29, 2008, 05:57:11 PM
I have a couple of suspicions.

I'm trying to think back to all the right-wing nutjobs who hate semicolons... but I'm coming up with nothing...
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

AFK

I'm thinking of maybe a poet with Lupus? 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

hooplala

IS IT LUPUS?  IT'S LUPUS ISN'T IT???
                          \
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Jenne

Quote from: Requiem on August 29, 2008, 05:59:54 PM

HE WAS NO FUCKING GEORGE DUBYA BUSH.

A monkey could have done a better job than W, being better than him is not an accomplishment.

Missing the motherfucking POINT itt.

Jenne

Quote from: Cainad on August 29, 2008, 05:53:17 PM
Quote from: East Coast Hustle on August 29, 2008, 05:38:54 PM
Quote from: nostalgicBadger on August 29, 2008, 09:24:45 AM
Finally, Roger, I have seen you spam threads for lesser reasons. Hypocrisy is not becoming of you.
Don't edit my posts. Don't be a pussy. If you're going to abuse your mod priveliges, quit fucking around and just ban me. I mean, you can't have Discordians who think differently from yourself running around, can you? Shit no.

wow, you're a fuckin genius, aren't you?

:lulz:

I'm the one who edited your spam post, fuckchops. Like it says right in the post itself.

But thanks for shitting on Roger for no reason. I enjoy seeing him rip apart assholes like you.

also, in case anyone hasn't figured it out yet, NostalgicBadger is an old poster in new guise.

Like, how old? Anyone I would know?

I have a feeling from a while ago.  Or when I was off the board for a while.

LMNO

Quote from: Hoopla on August 29, 2008, 06:16:11 PM
IS IT LUPUS?  IT'S LUPUS ISN'T IT???
                          \

LMNO

Fuck.

I just figured it out.

Ruh Roh!

AFK

eh, I'm backing off of that suspicion now.  profile says he's from Pennsylvania, I think the poet with lupus was from the other side of the Atlantic wasn't he? 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

singer

Quote from: Requiem on August 29, 2008, 06:05:43 PM

No, I didn't.  Please point me to where I said Clinton was responsible for nothing.  I think you mistake my own argument for NB's.

Actually, it was Singer that said that, apologies.
No... what singer asked was how in all the indicators of unprecedented economic success were you able to determine that Clinton was responsible for  "breaking" the economy.

You answered by shadowboxing with an un-offered assertion that Clinton was responsible for the success.
"Magic" is one of the fundamental properties of "Reality"

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

I love politics, its one of those topics that really shows off our BiP/Reality Tunnel/Subjective Reality Filters.

GWB is not responsible for the Internet Bubble Burst, nor 9/11. These two things hurt the US economy more than anything else in 01/02. Bush further fucked things up by running headlong into ill-planned, expensive wars, while at the same time enacting tax cuts... thus leaving us with a crazy deficit. Though to be honest, we would have had a crazy deficit with these wars, tax cut or no.

To lay the economy on Bush, Clinton or any other president seems shortsighted to me. The economy is far more complex than that sort of simplistic view.

However, to claim that it doesn't matter who the president is, seems to miss one very important lesson from the past 8 years. Under GWB, American citizens were held without trial. Under GWB, non-Americans were held without trial, some of whom were kidnapped and tortured. Under GWB, we invaded a sovereign nation under false pretenses. Under GWB, the PATRIOT ACT was passed. Now, it's possible, that under Gore or Kerry these same things would have happened. However, I think that's probably untrue... both Gore and Kerry have a different frame of reference than GWB, and would not have been so willing to trounce civil liberties and International treaties.

Of course, Al and John could have seriously fucked us in some other manner. Perhaps they would have pulled a Clinton and just fired a couple missiles in the general direction of Osama and left him alone to plan for the future. Maybe they would have raised taxes to help turn America green, and the Internet Bubble, 9/11 and the Housing Bubble would have dropped the bottom out and instead of a recession, we could be looking at a full blown depression. Or, since the GOP was in control of the House and Senate, maybe we would have just had total gridlock, and accomplished nothing over the past 6-8 years.

It's insane, I think, to believe that it doesn't matter which individual is President. All individuals are different and will react differently to challenges. Some reactions are good, some bad... it matters. It's also insane, I think, to believe that it does matter which party is in power. The two parties are extremely close in most of their views and where they differ, there are good arguments for both sides.

From what I've seen, either of the individuals running would be a far better person than GWB as President. McCain, is not GWB II (no matter what the media wants to spew) and Obama isn't the messiah (no matter what FOX wants to spew). Neither of them are the antichrist, neither of them are likely to bring about the downfall of the entire nation and neither of them seem likely to summon Shub-Niggurath, Cthulhu or Yog Sothoth.

McCain, unlike Bush, seems capable of separating rhetoric from sanity. That's why he was against the tax cuts Bush pushed through... tax cuts during war = Stupid.

Obama, unlike Gore and Kerry, has Charisma, presence and (unlike GWB) eloquence. He has experienced life as a normal American, something many of the contenders seem to have never experienced.

McCain is not perfect, he seems set on 'winning' in Iraq, whatever the hell that means. However, I can see the view, that since we fucked up, killed their leader, destroyed their government and their infrastructure... and set a bunch of crazy people loose with plenty of excuses to hate on us, them, anyone... maybe we should clean up the mess we made. I don't know that we can, but I do see the point.

Obama also is not perfect... he's had very little experience and that could be particularly bad... especially with the current situation in Eastern Europe. IIRC, Kennedy's inexperience led to some tense moments a couple decades ago.

More than who the President will be, I have concerns with who the citizenry will be. Political opinions have turned neighbors into enemies. NeoCon, Pinko, Fascist, Nazi... not all that different from Nigger, Kraut, Jap, Chink or Gook.

Latte Liberals and Gun Toting NeoCons are both Americans and are both probably intelligent humans. It's a shame that so many seem to forget that.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

East Coast Hustle

what about gun-toting liberals?

Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

LMNO

Jenne

Quote from: East Coast Hustle on August 29, 2008, 08:35:28 PM
what about gun-toting liberals?

Stop messing with the lineality of others' stereotypes, ECH!

(lineality may/may not be a word...I'm lazy)