News:

Your political affiliations, your brand loyalties, and your opinions are all quicker, easier, and contain no user-serviceable parts.

Main Menu

Why is Discordia more relevant than ever in the year 2008?

Started by Cramulus, September 03, 2008, 06:48:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on September 04, 2012, 10:07:12 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 04, 2012, 09:52:57 PM
He's on Facebook, in the group Discordia 2011.

As for me, I was in an argument with him and some others.  To end the argument, I apologized to each of them individually.  He then asked for a second apology, which seems to have been some kind of victory condition.  I gave it to him, but it's the last thing he'll ever get from me.

I miss his ideas, and some of him.  I don't miss the lack of respect for anyone else that he demonstrated, and I don't miss the sort of shit I just described.  He's happy on FB, from what I can tell, and that's great.  Good on him. 

That may be very useful intel, thank you.

Before I go spagging off on a project over one man I should consider if it's worthwhile for reasons other than my pique and amusement. I do have other real and worthwhile things to put my efforts into. 

Do you (or anyone else paying attention) feel that PD would be better off with him or not?
If not,because he simply does not want to or because of qualitative reasons, would it be worth making him choke on his screams for the lulz?

I think PD was better off with him.  He brought a lot to the table.

And, though I no longer have much use for him, I harbor no animosity for him...And I'm reasonably certain that it would take a better man than you to make him "choke on his screams".
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 04, 2012, 10:09:44 PM

As for me, I was in an argument with him and some others.  To end the argument, I apologized to each of them individually.  He then asked for a second apology, which seems to have been some kind of victory condition.  I gave it to him, but it's the last thing he'll ever get from me.

I miss his ideas, and some of him.  I don't miss the lack of respect for anyone else that he demonstrated, and I don't miss the sort of shit I just described.  He's happy on FB, from what I can tell, and that's great.  Good on him. 

Before I go spagging off on a project over one man I should consider if it's worthwhile for reasons other than my pique and amusement. I do have other real and worthwhile things to put my efforts into. 

Do you (or anyone else paying attention) feel that PD would be better off with him or not?
If not,because he simply does not want to or because of qualitative reasons, would it be worth making him choke on his screams for the lulz?

And, though I no longer have much use for him, I harbor no animosity for him...And I'm reasonably certain that it would take a better man than you to make him "choke on his screams".

Actually several of them. I'm not under the delusion that I could pull this off by myself. I'm also not stupid enough to waste my time trying.

I know that you only have a small sample of me here at PD to base your perceptions of me on. It does not reflect who I am well.  I am in the same boat about everyone here and what I see has my respect, or at least interested amusement. 
Cramulus' efforts here got both from me. The same goes for many others.  You also have my respect, but if I feel amusement about you it's probably more like terrified amusement. no bullshit.  You're a scary dude (but I think essentially a good one) and I'm not in the business of earning the real enmity of scary dudes. 

Is it in your interest to see PD prosper?  I wish to see it very much.  Would it be worthwhile to bury the dead and see if Cramulus cannot be brought back into the fold to some degree?
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I think that PD benefitted from his presence and is worse for his loss.

I have no interest in fucking with the guy whatsoever, unless it was in a way that he would get a kick out of. I still like him even though we disagree about certain things.

If you have some kind of weird issue about getting attention from him, that's your hangup and I want nothing to do with it.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

AFK

I like Cram a lot, dude is crazy talented, in a kind of effortless way.  This place definitely IS worse for his absence, but I think has really moved on from here, and I respect that.  But as I've always said, just because Discordia isn't happening HERE doesn't mean it isn't happening.  I'm sure he's spagging up IRL.
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Eater of Clowns

Cram is a lulzmonger who can't appreciate the true beauty of a Budweiser and Clamato cheleda in a can.

I, for one, am glad the brainstem slugs got him and he deserves all the slimy misanthropy they provide him.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on September 04, 2012, 10:36:15 PM

Actually several of them. I'm not under the delusion that I could pull this off by myself. I'm also not stupid enough to waste my time trying.

Look...If you think you have a need to fuck with Cram, then I think you're going to have to fuck with me, too.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

LMNO

Joseph, are you really coming in here and announcing an intention to fuck with someone that, differences aside, lent a helping hand to the BIP project, Spiders, Intermittens, the Chao Te Ching, "Not In My Room!", The Dreaming, "Pirate Pass Off", and the Safe For Work Thread?

If you're gonna do that, please do me a favor and do not say you're "from" PD.  I don't want to be associated, even by proxy.

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: A Very Hairy Monkey In An Ill-Fitting Tunic on September 04, 2012, 11:15:11 PM

I think that PD benefitted from his presence and is worse for his loss.

I have no interest in fucking with the guy whatsoever, unless it was in a way that he would get a kick out of. I still like him even though we disagree about certain things.

If you have some kind of weird issue about getting attention from him, that's your hangup and I want nothing to do with it.

Reading over the posts I think I know how you came under this impression.  I indulged in a childish over dramatization of my feeling on the subject and I apologize. I'm far from obsessed with the guy.  The jake I had in mind was more of a love bomb of sorts to show appreciation. 

I am definitely fascinated and maybe a little fixated by the forum though.  This may or may not be healthy, I don't know. 

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 05, 2012, 02:04:16 AM
Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on September 04, 2012, 10:36:15 PM

Look...If you think you have a need to fuck with Cram, then I think you're going to have to fuck with me, too.
You know, I just never thought this would be taken this way.  I'm not trying to mean spiritedly "fuck" anybody. 

This thread was pretty cool and I've realized that this whole thing has spagged it up really awfully. Would you or another moderator please remove these posts to the Unlimited garbage thread you set up for me?  I want to have an actual conversation on this and a few other subjects, but am short on time at the moment. Just pull it from the point where I started to post if you would. 
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

The Wizard Joseph

Alright, I you won't split this thread then there's nothing I can do about it. There's also nothing that I can do about the demands on my time. I'm only able to discuss things here when I am actually at home sitting in front of my computer. I've got the day off today but have things to do for myself and with my very real friends. This is important to me.

Clearly many of you care considerably about Cramulus.  I care about my friends too.  I'm not some kind of malicious freak! In the "real world" I'm just another dude. A pretty good one that cares deeply for his friends.  I also care about this site and it seems to me that there's a strong belief about it dying. The evidence of it is pretty strong, but what is the cause?  It's not like the forum is actually able to die.  If you're looking to see things get better around here in terms of content and participation simply ask and act upon the obvious questions.

Why don't people want to post here? what brings about a hesitancy?

Why have people been leaving?

What would it take to bring in people of quality and make them interested enough to stay and read the great stuffs here?

There's clearly a lot of hurt feelings among the people still here and a dreadful amount of genuinely crappy events that have gone on.  I personally didn't come to PD to troll. I came to learn about the culture of Discordia and decided impulsively to just jump in and start posting. It realize now that you folks get A LOT of this and having seen many of the semi-frequent noob-trolls that seem to just randomly show up, and often flounce eventually, I think that the problem is that you are pretty much only getting random joiners.

I'm not interested in blaming any individual, there's no "Cancer killing PD."
I want to continue interacting here, and will, but I'm not content to see the content slowly slip into the same old jokes and petty butthurt festivals.  This thread has made it clear that things were MUCH different in 2008 here at PD than they are now. 

If the forum is to grow then I think it would be necessary to put conscious effort into recruitment.  that's all.  Nothing really has to change here, the intake of noobs must increase. it is the nature of this place to sort of scrape off the dross and keep those tough and interested enough to put up with a little hazing and learn something.  I also think it would be most goodly to see if already notable posters can be brought back in.  Instead of considering un-banning the banned like that AKK spaz and other noted trolls for entertainment why not try to invite back the flounced? If they were appreciated.

I know you guys have NO reason to trust me and almost no idea of who I am "IRL." That's fine.  I may just join the Discord 2011 group with my FB profile. Not just to possibly get a chance to talk to Cramulus spag to spag, but because I showed up here with a great deal of bullshit and distrust that is simply not a part of who I am day to day.  I feel that I've begun to make at least a few friends here, and want to get to know people better, but that will take time and effort.  I think it's worthwhile.

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

Placid Dingo

Eh, I think the main thing we need to do is just be awesome and produce quality content.

BIP II is the kind of thing that will act as a lightening rod.
Haven't paid rent since 2014 with ONE WEIRD TRICK.

The Wizard Joseph

I agree, but it's one thing to have a lightening rod and another thing to ensure that it's placed properly and that others will see the result and want to go into lightening rod production. 

I am just going to try to focus on being myself and stop with my spaggery while here. I'm REALLY not into being seen as some sort of threat or something. 

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl