News:

Christians *have* to sin.
If they don't, it's like Christ died for nothing.

Main Menu

Why is Discordia more relevant than ever in the year 2008?

Started by Cramulus, September 03, 2008, 06:48:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Verbal Mike

What's a featured link?

(Not at all trying to distract from my weird last post which apparently killed the thread.)
Unless stated otherwise, feel free to copy or reproduce any text I post anywhere and any way you like. I will never throw a hissy-fit over it, promise.

AFK

The main page has a rotating link to content.  Some link to threads like this, others to something on the wiki.  Check it out.
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

The Wizard Joseph

I haven't read this thread totally yet, but stuff like the OP is a perfect example of why I miss Cramulus. Why did that spag-king have to go?  I may have to do sOMething. 
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Verbal Mike

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on September 01, 2012, 08:09:22 PM
The main page has a rotating link to content.  Some link to threads like this, others to something on the wiki.  Check it out.
Ah, now I see it. Cool!
Unless stated otherwise, feel free to copy or reproduce any text I post anywhere and any way you like. I will never throw a hissy-fit over it, promise.

Nephew Twiddleton

Cram is over at facebook. He posted on my sttus a couple of days ago. Might go to new york in autumn see how hes doing.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on September 01, 2012, 09:23:52 PM
I haven't read this thread totally yet, but stuff like the OP is a perfect example of why I miss Cramulus. Why did that spag-king have to go?  I may have to do sOMething.

I can't speak for him, but I think he decided that PD wasn't the Discordianism he wanted.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 02, 2012, 07:39:35 PM

I can't speak for him, but I think he decided that PD wasn't the Discordianism he wanted.

What I gathered was that Cram needed a break from Discordia in general.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

AFK

Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

The Wizard Joseph

Time is tight right now and I have to log out, but I just finished the thread. When I return tomorrow I will reply specifically to the above and contribute the best I can to this thread.  For now I must say I feel that I stand among superior (or at least superb) persons here and that the momentum of Discordia is not diminishing, it is coiling for a leap. God knows where though!  :lol:
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Nephew Twiddleton on September 02, 2012, 05:03:05 PM
Cram is over at facebook. He posted on my sttus a couple of days ago. Might go to new york in autumn see how hes doing.

Right on. I regret that I never managed to bring myself to strike up real conversation with him.  Back when I first got here I was still desperately trying to figure out how to relate to the folks here and understand the social systems, if "system" is the right word.  If you get the chance, please send him my regards and let him know that I'd like a word with him... possibly many.

Quote from: Net on September 02, 2012, 08:39:57 PM

I find it doubtful that he could break from Discordia any more than he could pluck out his eye because it caused him to sin.  I would well understand the need to step back from the goings-on here for a space.  I suspect he went because he felt the need to go. I can't fault a cat for that.

PD is just a vehicle for ideas and social interaction. I happen to be enjoying the ride, but who knows what toll being here for so long could take.

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on September 02, 2012, 08:42:15 PM
He seems to still be doing stuff over at 23ae.

Yeah, I spotted that when I briefly Googled him up a bit.  I haven't gone over exactly WHAT he's been writing, but plan to rectify that today.  I was tempted to try to contact him through comment, but it smacked of distasteful creepy-ness. We'll just see how things go I guess.
Or I'll try to work up a campaign along the line of "Have you seen this spag?" "Wanted for crimes against decent reality" "Cramulus is not dead! Here's the SHOCKING photo-proof!" gonna have to figure out where and how to host/post photos.

Here's my contribution to the thread.  Typing is laborious for me and lacks a certain feel and flow of an Idea.  I decided to do a short audio rant off of an even shorter set of notes and post it here.

http://kiwi6.com/file/10ttroh4ut

The down side to audio vs print is that I only had one shot and could not try to make my points crystal clear.
The up side is that I don't have to resort to emotes to project my feelings on a subject. 
I think it worked out well and hope you enjoy it.

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

The Good Reverend Roger

He's still on FB Discordia.  Of course, it's relatively harmless.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

What I gathered was that he isn't comfortable being called on his bullshit and has insurmountable difficulty admitting to being wrong, let alone that other people's feelings about the use of their creative works are valid, and so left rather than swallow his ego and deal with it. Which is really unfortunate because despite having ideological differences with Cram, I think that for the most part he's hilarious and brilliant and has a lot more to offer than just the appropriation and redevelopment of other people's ideas... and that even if that IS all he has to offer, he's remarkably good at it and could do a tremendous amount with it if he were able to relent in his pursuit of the limelight.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: A Very Hairy Monkey In An Ill-Fitting Tunic on September 04, 2012, 08:45:29 PM

What I gathered was that he isn't comfortable being called on his bullshit and has insurmountable difficulty admitting to being wrong, let alone that other people's feelings about the use of their creative works are valid, and so left rather than swallow his ego and deal with it. Which is really unfortunate because despite having ideological differences with Cram, I think that for the most part he's hilarious and brilliant and has a lot more to offer than just the appropriation and redevelopment of other people's ideas... and that even if that IS all he has to offer, he's remarkably good at it and could do a tremendous amount with it if he were able to relent in his pursuit of the limelight.

It is very true that the talent in the limelight owes all of it's glamor to the stage hands in the shadows and the other players coming onto and off of the stage. Even more so it owes the audience; they are, presumably, PAYING for this shit in attention if not currency. 

Maybe this is what it means to be able to "swallow your own head" or somesuch. The ability to stuff down your ego when the situation requires it is always going to draw attention.  Having your head stuffed down your own throat, however, is also quite the show and Discordia seems to me to have always been a bit about audience participation when the act doesn't seem to be going as advertised.

I am annoyed that when I finally got my shit together after some REALLY difficult but strategically necessary changes IRL and could allow myself the luxury of a ticket to this carnival we humbly call PD... there was no Cramulus to be found! He's ON the goddamn bill! 

The other people here are NOT diminished for his absence, but I'm in the mood to get my money's worth even though I kind of just snuck in.  For my part I'm just about ready to Shine the limelight in his eyes 500% until his head explodes or he does in fact swallow it.  After all, I can't seem to walk away from this place, why should he? Did he think there wouldn't be consequences?  NOBODY just walks out on PD after all!!!   :lol:... :horrormirth:

All overdrahma aside, I hope to find a way to mess with him.  I won't pretend I don't need help, but I understand well that other folks have lives of their own and time is precious.  How could this not be fun though?

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

The Good Reverend Roger

He's on Facebook, in the group Discordia 2011.

As for me, I was in an argument with him and some others.  To end the argument, I apologized to each of them individually.  He then asked for a second apology, which seems to have been some kind of victory condition.  I gave it to him, but it's the last thing he'll ever get from me.

I miss his ideas, and some of him.  I don't miss the lack of respect for anyone else that he demonstrated, and I don't miss the sort of shit I just described.  He's happy on FB, from what I can tell, and that's great.  Good on him. 

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 04, 2012, 09:52:57 PM
He's on Facebook, in the group Discordia 2011.

As for me, I was in an argument with him and some others.  To end the argument, I apologized to each of them individually.  He then asked for a second apology, which seems to have been some kind of victory condition.  I gave it to him, but it's the last thing he'll ever get from me.

I miss his ideas, and some of him.  I don't miss the lack of respect for anyone else that he demonstrated, and I don't miss the sort of shit I just described.  He's happy on FB, from what I can tell, and that's great.  Good on him. 

That may be very useful intel, thank you.

Before I go spagging off on a project over one man I should consider if it's worthwhile for reasons other than my pique and amusement. I do have other real and worthwhile things to put my efforts into. 

Do you (or anyone else paying attention) feel that PD would be better off with him or not?
If not,because he simply does not want to or because of qualitative reasons, would it be worth making him choke on his screams for the lulz?

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl