News:

It is better to set off a nuclear bomb, than to sit and curse the dark.

Main Menu

Why is Discordia more relevant than ever in the year 2008?

Started by Cramulus, September 03, 2008, 06:48:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bu🤠ns

i feel that it's a way of living rather than a philosophy.  the 'things are true in some sense, false in some sense...' bit really speaks to me.  i personally don't think discordianism can be philosophised because it's essence is subjective.  cabals it seems, are where like minded discordians can thrive for a mutal goal or environment but it's not really a set way.  the 'really REAL discordians' can have their place...at least its a step further toward TFY,S.  i think what gives Discordianism it's real value is it's ability to give embellishment to other ideas.  the whole of PD has a whole slew of various backgrounds and ideas.  Discordia, i think, is kind of an upgrade to those ideas.  sort of like ontological or epistemological performance enhancers.  :fap:

Alethias

Quote from: Cramulus on September 30, 2008, 04:02:39 PM
I dislike the "Discordia is anything and undefinable" meme. Because at the end of the day, we DO have a lot of stuff in common. And when we try to explain Discordia to others, there are things that we say and things we do not say.

there certainly are actions and mindsets we can say are markedly "un-Discordian"

I mean, Discordia is vague, and we've got this loose Catma instead of Dogma thing, but aren't there times when you can say "you're doing it wrong" and be correct?

There's always this dodgey "Is this satire?" angle you can throw out, which justifies a lot of questionable stuff. But if someone asked me if Dick Cheney or Mitt Romney are good Discordians, I'd have to say No, those people aren't Discordians at all.

Is it "Un-Discordian" of me to try to define it this way?
It's fun  to play order games, and it's fun to play chaos games.   The Dick Cheneys and Mitt Romneys are trapped by Aneristic Delusions.  Your post comes across to me like you are trapped in Eristic Delusions.  As if you love the Eristic mental trap you are in, kinda like other people love the Aneristic traps they are in.  If you like and enjoy your trap, that's kool.

I'd rather switch up traps every now and then.  Order games are fun.  Disorder Games are fun.  Why not play both?  Either one can lead to creative solutions to problems or be beneficial in some situations.

hooplala

Cram can be a very orderly motherfucker.  Just saying.

He put a book together, after all; one doesn't do that by tossing a pencil at a notebook and hoping for the best.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

the last yatto

Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

Iason Ouabache

I dislike the "Discordia is anything and undefinable" meme. Because at the end of the day, we DO have a lot of stuff in common. And when we try to explain Discordia to others, there are things that we say and things we do not say.

there certainly are actions and mindsets we can say are markedly "un-Discordian"

I mean, Discordia is vague, and we've got this loose Catma instead of Dogma thing, but aren't there times when you can say "you're doing it wrong" and be correct?

There's always this dodgey "Is this satire?" angle you can throw out, which justifies a lot of questionable stuff. But if someone asked me if Dick Cheney or Mitt Romney are good Discordians, I'd have to say No, those people aren't Discordians at all.

Militant Subjectivism.

E/O/T
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Professor Mu-Chao

Quote from: Hoopla on September 30, 2008, 09:35:24 PM
Cram can be a very orderly motherfucker.  Just saying.

He put a book together, after all; one doesn't do that by tossing a pencil at a notebook and hoping for the best.

No, you have to put the pencil and the notebook in a box with a monkey and a Geiger counter. Once the Geiger Counter clicks, the monkey will be simultaneously William Shakespeare and Carrot Top until you open the box, and then it will be a cat.

That's what Wikipedia says, anyway.
"Is it weird in here or is it me?" - Ambrose Bierce

hooplala

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

I suppose it depends on the angle. After all, "every man, woman and child is a Discordian." All of us bring chaos and order to the world around us, we all order things and disorder things. Does the Curse of Greyface make you un-discordian, or does it simply blind the poor hunchbrain to their Discordian nature? Perhaps, some humans find a way to put the curse into remission. Did we become Discordian, or did we recoginize our discordian nature?

Eris uses us all as tools and not many fit that description better than Bush and Cheney. Couple of fuckin' tools. However, its not just that they're tools that I call them Discordian. For they are human and no animal is more of a multi-faced, manipulative, mean spirited, half-mad trickster than a human.

In some sense. ;-)

- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

hooplala

Quote from: Ratatosk on October 01, 2008, 06:22:24 PMDid we become Discordian, or did we recoginize our discordian nature?

That's an interesting idea.

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Hoopla on October 01, 2008, 06:25:45 PM
Quote from: Ratatosk on October 01, 2008, 06:22:24 PMDid we become Discordian, or did we recoginize our discordian nature?

That's an interesting idea.

I thought so too... Sjaantze and I were discussing this thread and the term just fell out somewhere in the discussion.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Bu🤠ns

heh, i've bitched before about "empaths" being an egotistical description for someone who is in touch with their sensitive nature...why would a discordian be any different.

course, it IS more fun that way

Jasper

the last yatto

Quote from: Hoopla on October 01, 2008, 03:09:01 PM
Quote from: YattoDobbs on September 30, 2008, 09:35:45 PM
forget Discordia, whats this Concordia thing about

What would you like to know?

I like the concept, think it could be expanded on the POEE DISORGANIZATIONAL MATRIX
there was often a joke that REALLY real discordians werent calling themselfs that anymore
but were possing as Christans so if God can have his devil with tales,
why not us. Mob up both sides of our coin for no other purpose cause we can
Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: burnstoupee flapjacks on October 01, 2008, 07:02:29 PM
heh, i've bitched before about "empaths" being an egotistical description for someone who is in touch with their sensitive nature...why would a discordian be any different.

course, it IS more fun that way

Empaths.

Pfffft!

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.