News:

Doing everything exactly opposite from "The Mainstream" is the same thing as doing everything exactly like "The Mainstream."  You're still using What Everyone Else is Doing as your primary point of reference.

Main Menu

good boy, happy boy

Started by Ari, September 03, 2008, 09:34:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ari

Have you been consuming today? Good boy!

No need to wake up, this dream is made just for you.
Are you comfortable? Good...
We can make it even better: Why bother being yourself when you can buy the perfect individuality. Fit in today, be an approved little sod tomorrow! Yeah, we know that life is hard: Getting up every morning, working, buying food, paying rent, impressing other people. So much to do every day, so much to worry about. But we can help, and it's really easy to be happy.

Don't you want to be happy? Of course you do! And you deserve it too.

Just give in, it's not hard... let go for your own sake! Don't resist, we're here to help.
Don't your parents want you to be happy?
Don't you want to make your parents happy by showing them how happy you are with the life you received?

Just let go and let us fluff your pillow.

You don't need to stress your brain with thinking beyond the horizon. We know what is good for you, we will guide you forever and ever.
All you need and ever will need is right here, waiting just for you. We will take care of you.

Give in and consume. Produce and consume. Erase the individual thought, the individual desire. Erase your suffering and be a part of us.
The train is leaving, don't you want to come with us to paradise? Just leave your brain there at the entrance, you won't need it anymore.

Everything will be okay. It's all prepared, you just have to hop on.

Jesus would do it.
パンクビッチ

hooplala

See, the thing is this: people eat.  People need to eat.  Eating is consumption.

What would you propose in the place of this consumption?  Or, would you rather just point a finger, while pretending to be above that consumption?
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Ari

3/10

See, the thing is this: people breath. People need to breath. Breathing is consumption.
It is recommended that you consume! It's the healthy thing to do.

And we are not pointing fingers or pretending to be anything...
We just are.
パンクビッチ

hooplala

Did you seriously just grade my response?

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Tempest Virago

Quote from: Hoopla on September 03, 2008, 10:02:53 PM
Did you seriously just grade my response?

I think he thinks you were trolling, since people only disagree when they're trolling.

hooplala

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Ari

Not seriously of course.  :wink:
I'm still not sure though if you were trying to troll me somewhere or my head is just blowing itself today.
And after a long day and a couple of drinks I figured I'd just let go and post whatever flows out of these fingers.

On a serious note: consumption can't be avoided unless you find one of the last remote locations and build your own community. But that wasn't the point of OP - honestly, I am not really sure what exactly the point of OP was, is or will be.
パンクビッチ

hooplala

Perhaps I was a tad short, but I get a little irritated with people constantly pointing out problems without offering a single shred of an alternative.

Sure, we overconsume, and create waste, but aside from what you stated (unless you find one of the last remote locations and build your own community) what can one do?  I try to consume as little as possible and create as little waste as I can, but I refuse to live like a caveman in the wilderness out of guilt.

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Ari

I just wanted to write from the other side, the constant and seductive stream of the big machine that just wants to swallow us whole.
There was no intention to "point out problems" - from OP's point of view there is only a problem if you don't join in on the blissful ignorance.

Of course, and I should have known, on a board like this it will definitely have a sarcastic undertone. I failed in hiding my personal feeling on that matter.
So, to assure you that I am not just babbling around without giving some serious piece of mind:
What can be done is to make people aware of the mindnumbing apparatus that tries to fuck with our heads. On a personal level it starts with breaking out of the patterns and habits that we've been trained in. Once we are comfortable on that stage we can think about getting other people out of the iron grip that the media and social conventions have no the masses.
It is fun road; but just be a puritan will leave you empty and out of touch.
The guy/gal in the woods might achieve the personal peak - but he/she will never be able to help out on bringing natural chaos back to our society. Too far is his/her perception going to wander away from the life that we face inside the machine.

The only way to change things, is to be a part of the things that need to be changed. Change yourself, change the world around you.
And every now and then just throw a stick into the wheels that are far enough away to not bother you directly. To keep things interesting!
Survival tip while being deep inside the machine: take a die with you. As soon as things get soaked in order, roll yourself a new path, a new aspect of your persona. It will get you one step closer to the state that some people describe as "gonzo" - the edge after which total freedom lies. The most dangerous goods of all.

Dunno if that made any sense to you. ^^
パンクビッチ

Tempest Virago

Quote from: planeswalker on September 03, 2008, 10:29:11 PM
I just wanted to write from the other side, the constant and seductive stream of the big machine that just wants to swallow us whole.
There was no intention to "point out problems" - from OP's point of view there is only a problem if you don't join in on the blissful ignorance.

Of course, and I should have known, on a board like this it will definitely have a sarcastic undertone. I failed in hiding my personal feeling on that matter.
So, to assure you that I am not just babbling around without giving some serious piece of mind:
What can be done is to make people aware of the mindnumbing apparatus that tries to fuck with our heads. On a personal level it starts with breaking out of the patterns and habits that we've been trained in. Once we are comfortable on that stage we can think about getting other people out of the iron grip that the media and social conventions have no the masses.
It is fun road; but just be a puritan will leave you empty and out of touch.
The guy/gal in the woods might achieve the personal peak - but he/she will never be able to help out on bringing natural chaos back to our society. Too far is his/her perception going to wander away from the life that we face inside the machine.

The only way to change things, is to be a part of the things that need to be changed. Change yourself, change the world around you.
And every now and then just throw a stick into the wheels that are far enough away to not bother you directly. To keep things interesting!
Survival tip while being deep inside the machine: take a die with you. As soon as things get soaked in order, roll yourself a new path, a new aspect of your persona. It will get you one step closer to the state that some people describe as "gonzo" - the edge after which total freedom lies. The most dangerous goods of all.

Dunno if that made any sense to you. ^^

Ok, I'm aware, and so are my friends and family. Now what?

Payne

I don't fel that reading any of this has been helpful.

But that's OK, I don't need help.

As satire, I would give the OP 3/10. Overwhelming unoriginality was its downfall.

Ari

=) it doesn't deserve more than 1/10.
At least it got us fired up a bit...

It's impossible to help someone else anyways. All you can do is help them help themselves. And even that wasn't the point here. Some day this or next month I will have you dissect my brain; that's gonna be more amusing than some weird mental vomiting.
パンクビッチ

hooplala

How would one help Terri Schiavo help herself?

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Payne

Quote from: planeswalker on September 03, 2008, 10:40:38 PM
=) it doesn't deserve more than 1/10.
At least it got us fired up a bit...

It's impossible to help someone else anyways. All you can do is help them help themselves. And even that wasn't the point here. Some day this or next month I will have you dissect my brain; that's gonna be more amusing than some weird mental vomiting.

Doubtful.

And I'm not fired up by this thread, I got myself going by imagining McCain suddenly declaring he will be running with H.R. Pufnstuf rather than Palin. Which is a pretty fuckin' awesome idea, really.

hooplala

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman