News:

Testimonial: "It's just honestly sad that a place like this exists"

Main Menu

WTF? Journalists arrested for reporting...

Started by Roo, September 04, 2008, 12:16:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roo

hooplala

"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

fomenter

"So she says to me, do you wanna be a BAD boy? And I say YEAH baby YEAH! Surf's up space ponies! I'm makin' gravy... Without the lumps. HAAA-ha-ha-ha!"

hmroogp

Hoshiko

They arrested Sharif Abdel Kouddous and Nicole Salazar?  :eek:

It still surprises me that people think that they are safe from arrest as long as they're not commiting a crime. I don't think that's been true for a while.

Ever, really.

I understand that there were windows being smashed, but 300 people is a lot of arrests. 
Making people sorry they asked since 1983.

She got the speakers in the trunk
With the bass on crunk.

Requia ☣

Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Roo

Quote from: Hoshiko on September 04, 2008, 01:11:41 AM
They arrested Sharif Abdel Kouddous and Nicole Salazar?  :eek:

It still surprises me that people think that they are safe from arrest as long as they're not commiting a crime. I don't think that's been true for a while.

Ever, really.

I understand that there were windows being smashed, but 300 people is a lot of arrests. 
Perhaps not, but I think it's one of those things that you just don't imagine happening to you or anyone you know. It's like...I don't want to believe this is happening in my country, but when it's right there in front of my eyes, I have to believe. And it disturbs me on a very deep level.

Quote from: Requiem on September 04, 2008, 01:18:57 AM
Quote from: Roo on September 04, 2008, 12:16:27 AM
on protests happening outside of Republican convention.
http://www.democracynow.org/shows/2008/9/2

You still find this suprising?
Unfortunately, yes.

Someday I'll laugh, but for now, I just feel sick.

wade

poor girl.
poor people...
:argh!:

who gives those cops their marching orders?  Whoever they are shouldn't they be prosecuted for violating some kind of human right?   and who the fuck can enforce it?

I wouldn't be suprised if some of those "cops" were actually military personel dressed as cops.  Shitheads like me would love to do soemthing new and exciting, dressing up in riot gear and dominating thousands of people at once would be one of those things.  the scary thing is, compared to me, some of the people i've met are sooooo fucking dense..  meat-heads... with strength, and authority....  ugh.

It looks like a fun game, my group of people are going to try and dominate your group, too bad it is not a fair one...

It looks like those "cops" are ready for war, taking on a bunch of civillians wearing tshirts and carrying signs, and cameras.   :argh!:

"shrugs.

Today I was listening in on some conversation some meat-heads were having, it was driving me insane, some of the troops here are sooo fucking stupid it scares me, it really scares/angers me that people are actually RLY SRSLY FUCKING STUPID.  they're so stupid i can feel it in my bones.    their obnoxious conversation was distracting me from my book...  (I started reading "The Prince" hahaha)  I really wish they would segregate my group of people from the rest of the trades here.  My trade at least has people with a proven capacity to learn pretty technical shit, we're gamers/geeks, we like to learn and read interesting things...   

Whereas the other fucks, are filthy fucking animals, that annoy the shit out of me, especially when they let their opinion about shit be heard, mainly because if I try to argue with them, they would get offended and want to hurt me, because THEY'RE OBVIOUSLY RIGHT AND KNOW BETTER....  I guess i might now know how some of you feel regarding myself.

*sighs..

I wonder how much more of this bullshit I will be able to handle, it kind of kills me a bit inside to laugh about this shit, but what else can i do?

REALLY real discordians

i wouldnt hurt a fly
:thumb: :kojak:

Requia ☣

Quote from: Roo on September 04, 2008, 01:31:20 AM

Quote from: Requiem on September 04, 2008, 01:18:57 AM
Quote from: Roo on September 04, 2008, 12:16:27 AM
on protests happening outside of Republican convention.
http://www.democracynow.org/shows/2008/9/2

You still find this suprising?
Unfortunately, yes.

Someday I'll laugh, but for now, I just feel sick.

Never lose this, even while you're laughing.

Hoshiko

"Dear Penthouse: ..."

I'm not a fan of cynicism, but the line between what happens to other unfortunate people and what can happen to you is very thin. Every once in a while you get moments that bring this to light, but I try to keep it in the back of my mind just in case.

Yes, I CAN get into a car accident.
No, I am NOT immune to disease or poverty.
Yes, I CAN get arrested for no good reason. 
Yes, there IS a chance that my loved ones will turn Republican.

But, you know, I bet most of those people will be released eventually and not charged with anything substantial. So there is that.
Making people sorry they asked since 1983.

She got the speakers in the trunk
With the bass on crunk.

Requia ☣

QuoteBut, you know, I bet most of those people will be released eventually and not charged with anything substantial. So there is that.

Which only makes the assault on civil liberties even more blatant.  They were released because the law says they should never have been taken in the first place.  The cops can't even claim they were enforcing a bad law.

Roo

Quote from: Hoshiko on September 04, 2008, 01:50:26 AM
"Dear Penthouse: ..."

I'm not a fan of cynicism, but the line between what happens to other unfortunate people and what can happen to you is very thin. Every once in a while you get moments that bring this to light, but I try to keep it in the back of my mind just in case.

Yes, I CAN get into a car accident.
No, I am NOT immune to disease or poverty.
Yes, I CAN get arrested for no good reason. 
Yes, there IS a chance that my loved ones will turn Republican.

But, you know, I bet most of those people will be released eventually and not charged with anything substantial. So there is that.
AFAIK, most of them have already been released, but it's the fact that they were arrested in the first place that makes me feel sick.

My initial reaction to the news was "so much for the land of the free...let's see if this is still the home of the brave." I sure hope so.

Requia ☣

Bravery had to be killed for them to do this shit in the first place.

Roo

eta: nevermind. stupid question

trillian

as far as I know, the only arrested protesters who broke off from where the main protest was being staged and were vandalizing shit.

as for the reporters, though, that shit's fucked up.

Requia ☣

Quote from: trillian on September 04, 2008, 03:07:35 AM
as far as I know, the only arrested protesters who broke off from where the main protest was being staged and were vandalizing shit.

as for the reporters, though, that shit's fucked up.

Of course, we have no way of knowing if the cops are lying about vandalism, because they obstructed the press.