News:

MysticWicks endorsement: ""Oooh, I'm a Discordian! I can do whatever I want! Which means I can just SAY I'm a pagan but I never bother doing rituals or studying any kind of sacred texts or developing a relationship with deity, etc! I can go around and not be Christian, but I won't quite be anything else either because I just can't commit and I can't be ARSED to commit!"

Main Menu

Today's Po-Suu Lunch - Ramen Stir-fry

Started by Suu, September 04, 2008, 07:59:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Suu

For the record. I detest ramen noodles. The only way I'll eat them is drenched in hot sauce, or like this. I made this a variety of ways depending on what veggies we have in the house and what we feel like, this is just today's variant.

2 pkgs of Ramen noodles
Vegetable oil
Soy Sauce (I use lite soy sauce)
A frozen block of chopped broccoli. I have the Stop and Shop 2 for $3 kind.
Sesame seeds
Louisiana Hot Sauce (not Tabasco, not wing sauce...the plain red stuff.)
Black Pepper

Boil Water, cook ramen. THROW THE SEASONING AWAY.

Drain the ramen after it's magical 3 minutes of boiling, and set aside.

Break apart the broccoli as best you can.

Enter the wok. (If you don't have a wok, you can probably use a large frying pan.) Add some oil to the bottom of the wok and begin heating it up, once the oil is poppin', gradually add the broccoli and be careful since the moisture will make it attack you with little pops of hot oil fury. Once the broccoli is cooked but still firm (don't let it get soggy!) add a bit of soy sauce, flip it around a bit, and then add the noodles. You're going to have to keep this is motion or else the noodles will burn to the bottom of the pan fast. Stir it rapidly with a spatula or claw and make sure that everything is evenly coated with the oil and soy mixture. Add more if necessary and to desired taste. At this point add a few splashes of Louisiana, and then stir in sesame seeds and pepper to taste. 

Once everything is evenly coated, go ahead and remove the wok from heat, but continue to stir until the surface is cool enough to not burn anything to the surface. Serve into a bowl and garnish with more sesame and pepper to taste.

It doesn't look like much, but it's got a decent somewhat Asian flavor and it's filling, and when you have NOTHING ELSE IN THE HOUSE, deal with it.

And something about the frozen veggies makes it better, I've used fresh bell peppers and onions with it before, and it just doesn't seem to taste as good. They make a good pepper stir fry mix and that's what we usually use, but again, poverty...the frozen broccoli sufficed.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Jenne

Sounds tasty, actually. Will have to try this soon!

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I make a similar poverty dish... yummy! Amazing things can be done with ramen.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Eve

What's this boiling water on the stove to make ramen? Silly Suu, everyone knows ramen can only be cooked in the microwave or through a coffee maker.

Sounds good, though; I should try it next time I have to fend for myself for dinner.
Emotionally crippled narcissist.

Suu

Quote from: Eve on September 05, 2008, 04:31:38 AM
What's this boiling water on the stove to make ramen? Silly Suu, everyone knows ramen can only be cooked in the microwave or through a coffee maker.

Sounds good, though; I should try it next time I have to fend for myself for dinner.

I used to make ramen in my teapot when I worked in Boston.  :|

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Dysfunctional Cunt

My children love Ramen.  This sounds really good. 

Have you ever added meat?  I will add chicken and veggies to Ramen as a soup, never thought of frying the noodles!  Will have to try it.

I had a friend in FL who used the beef ramen as her soup base, added a couple of packets to water with a chunk of meat, then added raw veggies throughout the day, small pieces of corn (still on the cob) whole potatoes, carrots.  Then just before she served it she added in the noodles.  It was the weirdest soup, but it was really good considering.

Suu

Quote from: Khara on September 05, 2008, 04:56:13 PM
My children love Ramen.  This sounds really good. 

Have you ever added meat?  I will add chicken and veggies to Ramen as a soup, never thought of frying the noodles!  Will have to try it.

I had a friend in FL who used the beef ramen as her soup base, added a couple of packets to water with a chunk of meat, then added raw veggies throughout the day, small pieces of corn (still on the cob) whole potatoes, carrots.  Then just before she served it she added in the noodles.  It was the weirdest soup, but it was really good considering.

Grilled or baked chicken with teriyaki sauce over very lightly seasoned noodles isn't bad.